Hardest game you have ever played

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jun 2006, 03:53

a couple from me ....

i agree with Angelspit, watchers tower was a biatch to beat (now i can't remember if that was baldurs gate 2 or icewind dale 2??)

God of War on God Mode (the hardest setting) - that is just insane!!!

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Jun 2006, 13:31

Derek wrote:The beauty of this game is that it actually feels as though you are moving at that speed, I wonder for sure. Btu likely not many of the RoundTable members have an N64.
Heh, I do. Along with the 2 or 3 N64 games that were actually any good. :-D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 21 Jun 2006, 18:57

Derek wrote:F-Zero X on master mode. Flying at +1000 kmh is crazy enough, but add in fiercly competitive apponents just makes things all the more interesting.
I've only tried F-Zero on the SNES. That was also insane on hardest difficulty.

The hardest game I've ever tried?
Must be Ghost N' Goblins on the Commodore 64. I was never able to get anywhere in that game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jun 2006, 19:30

Paulus1 wrote:The hardest game I've ever tried?
Must be Ghost N' Goblins on the Commodore 64. I was never able to get anywhere in that game.
Finished it.Once,even without cheats :D (thats when I decided never to play it again).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Jun 2006, 02:41

yeah, ghosts and goblins is TOUGH!!

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 23 Jun 2006, 18:38

Corribus wrote:
Derek wrote:The beauty of this game is that it actually feels as though you are moving at that speed, I wonder for sure. Btu likely not many of the RoundTable members have an N64.
Heh, I do. Along with the 2 or 3 N64 games that were actually any good. :-D
:D Sad, but true.

Ghosts and Goblins was hard, but Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES is just as crazy(it is avaliable an the GBA for those that are interested.) Truly a crazily difficult game, it's sad to admit that I've never even beaten it!

@Paulus1
Oh God, that brings back memories...Fire Field on master... :rip:
Hell has frozen over...

Indral
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Indral » 24 Jun 2006, 08:27

the hardest game i've played was "Fly Harder!" back on Amiga in early 90s. ;)

don't think there'll be anything harder ever.

george137
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby george137 » 29 Jun 2006, 16:12

How come mario isn't here yet? I found it extremely hard to beat it with out the 1up trick. Ughh soo many levels, no saving... and not sure if this counts but NotPr0n. http://deathball.net/notpron/ very challenging.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 29 Jun 2006, 18:24

Derek wrote: [
@Paulus1
I don't remember the names of the tracks anymore. But I do remember, that I never was able to finish the last track on master level as number 1.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 30 Jun 2006, 16:15

Paulus1 wrote:
Derek wrote: [
@Paulus1
I don't remember the names of the tracks anymore. But I do remember, that I never was able to finish the last track on master level as number 1.
That last track was Fire Field. Sooooo hard...I recall that first time I played it was at a hotel that charged about 10 dollars an hour to play games on the TV(okay, it was a screw job but we got Super Punch Out! and F-Zero.) After spending far too much money, my dad's though(...), I finally made it to that course and got in last place. Tremendous failure I'd say, and I've still never beaten it to this day.

Mayhap I shall try it again now?
Hell has frozen over...

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 10 Jul 2006, 15:24

Ikagura for the Game Cube. It's very similar to Raiden or Radiant Silvergun, where you have one ship that's everybody's last hope versus thousands of enemies. It's very difficult; I never managed to get past the third level. And that was on the easiest difficultly.

Also, Ninja Gaiden for XBox and Viewtiful Joe for the Cube, are very difficult games. I managed to beat Viewtiful Joe on easy, and for reason I can't remember, I stopped playing Ninja Gaiden.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 11 Jul 2006, 02:37

Chikyuu Boueigun 2 (PS2)
It's a mad shooter where you face BIG ants, spiders, UFOS, godzilla's and all kind of crazy big things.

Well I had difficulties on some maps (there are 72) on EASY level... imagine on INFERNO level (easy > normal > hard > hardest > inferno)... even black ants, the most ridiculous enemy of the game can kill you in two bites... and sometimes there are hundreds... just can't figure any way to finish that game (remembered me of last level on God of War on God mode -which I find almost impossible- except all the levels of the shooting game are that difficult)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Jul 2006, 04:31

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Also, Ninja Gaiden for XBox and Viewtiful Joe for the Cube, are very difficult games. I managed to beat Viewtiful Joe on easy, and for reason I can't remember, I stopped playing Ninja Gaiden.
Viewtiful Joe was pretty tough.. I never got through it (got stuck in one of the later levels) but then again I wasn't too persistant either.

I have heard the Ikagura is quite hard.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 11 Jul 2006, 06:34

Ikagura was nuts. Not only did you have enemies and obstacles to worry about, but you had a light and dark side to constantly switch between. The two sides would absorb shots of the same side and fill up some super laser. But if you got hit by the opposite side, you were killed. It got really hard when the enemy would fire off barrages of both light and dark; leaving a split-second to pick a side and hope for the best. I consider myself a pretty good gamer, but after getting slaughtered for hours on the easiest difficulty with the max continues and lives, I'll admit there are some games I lack any apptitude for.

Viewtiful Joe was pure persistence. The boss battles very hard towards the end, especially when you had to fight four of them back to back. But if you ever play it again, the best fight by far is when you face Another Joe. Also, don't bother with Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble. Just too much happening in that game at one time to enjoy it.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Hardest game you have ever played

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Nov 2018, 13:47

Well, after some years, it's worth mentioning some new games I came across as really difficult. Still:
  • SNES – Super Ghouls'n Ghosts – still my top spot.
  • PC – Darksouls 3 – when you get killed like 20 times on the first boss, not long after just starting the game, I'd say there's some difficulty on that matter.
  • PS4 – Bloodborne – just like the above, anything kills you if you are not smart enough to dodge.
  • PC – Alien Isolation – the game is very punishing on harder difficulties. And scary.
  • PC – The Talos Principle – if you want to get everything and complete everything in that game, prepare for some brain-wreaking-puzzle-breaking time.
  • PC – They Are Billions – a RTS game, still early access, but on the topmost difficulty, you have to deal with hordes of undead infecting and attacking your base. The problem is with the exponential infection, when one building is contaminated, then 4 more zombies pop up, and then 4 more from each other building infected. You get the idea. And then, the last wave, where all remaining undead on the map are joined by seemingly "billions" of others and attack your base.
  • PC – Ori and the Blind Forest – it's not really the toughest of the games, but it has some ridiculous sudden difficulty high and lows that will take you off guard if you are playing it for the first time, specially if you try the one-life difficulty. For a reference, I died 470 times on my first walkthrough.
  • PC – Might and Magic X – specially refering to the DLC, immediately after you finish the game, you'll face some nasty battles without your equipment, and the local boss is pretty much impossible to beat depending on your build and your team.
  • PC – Necrosphere – a game designed by a company owned by a personal friend of mine, it's one of those platform games that were designed to kill you and you need to be deadly accurate to keep it going. Not a huge fan of the genre, but that is one that will probably make me rage quit if I start playing for too long.
And of course, these are all games that I enjoyed playing, aside their difficulty.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Re: Hardest game you have ever played

Unread postby Tress » 14 Nov 2018, 09:59

Kinda felt that wizardry 8 had extremely high difficulty curve ,specially at the beginning. Even on easy its not that easy, specially compared to other RPG of that time like MM or morrowind which were extremely easy in comparison.
As for MM:X - gotta agree, game can be extremely difficult at time even if not always fair.
Guess some games would be extremely hard if they were played as intended without save scumming, for example Jagged Alliance 2, then again, its hard to understand how much devs intended to do so(and ton of games would be way harder if played this way).
Last edited by Tress on 14 Nov 2018, 10:04, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”