Worst game you have ever played

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Apr 2006, 00:40

Corribus wrote:Definitely not the worst, but a recent one which really disappointed me was the new Wolfenstein. Now, I'm not a FPS maven by any means, but after playing a couple of really, really good FPS (Unreal, Halo, Metroid Prime), I was very disappointed by this one. It just.... sucked.
This one goes side by side with doom3.Why do people try to revive the classics instead of just rehashing their graphics?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 02:57

DaemianLucifer wrote:This one goes side by side with doom3.Why do people try to revive the classics instead of just rehashing their graphics?
I didn't play Doom3 because I don't think my PC would run it. As I understand it, the graphics were amazing, but not much else. After playing such sophisticated FPSs like Halo, as I understand it many felt that the gameplay of Doom3 was just too simple. A step backwards.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Apr 2006, 08:10

I've played Counterstrike once... It isn't technically the worst game I've played, but it is the game I hate the most.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 14:44

Ok, you really want to know one of the worst games I ever played. How about: Pool of Radiance II.

Ugh... I'm still peeved about ploppin' down 40 bucks on that one. :mad:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Apr 2006, 16:58

ThunderTitan wrote:Meh... CS ain't that bad. The players though.... :disagree:
Right. The morons playing it are the worst.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 10 Apr 2006, 19:00

DaemianLucifer wrote:EEII took that title without any effort.
EEII was a dissappointment, certainly, but I would be hard-pressed to call it the worst game. Perhaps the worst game I've played was The Battle for Naboo. I can't imagine why they thought to make it a commercial product.
Deadlock II: Shrine Wars was poorly done, but still had some enjoyment to it.

Ah, counterstrike. The mechanics of the game are not bad, but I agree the players plaguing it bring it down beyond horror. To play cs properly, I prefer using a Local area network with only myself and a few friends, on a few computers in the same room, then at least it's more enjoyable.
Happy Millenium!

Fenris
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fenris » 12 Apr 2006, 08:16

I'll say CS too. Apart from stupid, annoying players and all that I think it's just boring. And when I play it LAN with my friends they just kick my arse, sigh. Firearms was a much better version of CS IMO. Not that many who played it though.

Heh, I remember one time when I played there was a guy named Homer_Simpson. Then another Homer Simpson logged on to the server and the first one yelled and flamed for the entire game screaming that the other guy had to change his name. As if the name Homer Simpson belonged to him.
Hey, I know where we are! We're in that place where I didn't know where we were before!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 12 Apr 2006, 08:37

Perhaps it was the real Homer Simpson. ;|
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 12 Apr 2006, 10:28

wimfrits wrote:Perhaps it was the real Homer Simpson. ;|
Nah. Not even Homer Simpson is dumb enough to play that game.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 Apr 2006, 11:51

Worst game? Hmm gotta be CS because its one of the most unfriendly online game I have ever played!!
And even if Dark Forces (the first Star Wars FPS) was great in story and such with Kyle Katarn in the main role, it gave me a bad headache and I felt pretty sick after playing it thanks to the lightning effects etc, in fact its the only game I have got such illness from. it was enough to ruin the gameplay for me :ill:

Llefser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Llefser » 23 Apr 2006, 20:42

I'd say Master of Orion III except that I'm not even sure that I ever actually played the game. Sure, I bought it, installed it, ran it, made choices and hit "next turn" but what happened in the game seemed to have no bearing whatsoever to the choices I made, so perhaps it merely played itself while I watched with frustration.

Icewind Dale was a big disappointment after Balder's Gate. There was no storyline to speak of, just endless hordes of the same monsters, the same repetitive battles. I found myself hoping that each level of each dungeon was the last. When you are hoping that a game will end sooner rather than later, then it is not a good game.

Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 was the biggest video game disappointment in my life. It was hyped all summer, everyone I knew could hardly wait to buy it . . . and it was utter crap. Ugly graphics, embarrassingly bad sound, too easy, and boring. There were LCD wristwatch versions of Pac-Man more fun than the Atari cartridge. People talk today about how "E.T." hearalded the death of Atari, but I still think it was Pac-Man.

Having said all of that, though, E.T. for the Atari 2600 was in fact the worst game I have ever played.

Vlad976 wrote:Give me the original Wolfenstein 3D anyday. :hoo:
You can keep it: Beyond Castle Wolfenstein was ten times the game Wolfenstein 3D was.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 02 May 2006, 11:49

Worst game I've ever played....hmmm it must have been some game on a 100 in 1 cartridge for the NES or SNES.

The worst game that I wanted to play though would probably be Double Dragon V for the SNES though. I shelled out 749:- for that game!! AARGH!

Today I CANNOT for the life of me understand how I could be so extremely dumb to throw away SO much money on those bad games....

And a mention of good games that I didn't like. I tried Baldurs Gate II but it was unplayable due to everything going ultrarapid and having no control over anything.

I tried to activate the Barbarians berserker ability but the battle was over so fast that I knew I would never be able to participate in any battle successfully.
Mostly I sent my troops in and hoped for the best. If anyone died = reload.

A year ago someone told me that I need to pause the game and issue orders there....
Also tried IceWind Dale II but that was the same thing....it went in ultrarapid with no control whatsoever.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 11 May 2006, 02:56

The game I least liked--I honestly didn't even make it through the tutorial-- was Age of Mythology. But that's just because I don't like RTS games in general. The only ones I can think of that I've enjoyed were Dungeon Keeper (and that was mostly for its atmosphere) and the Paradox games like Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings. But the game mechanics of the latter, though technically real time, are entirely different.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 May 2006, 11:47

Campaigner wrote: A year ago someone told me that I need to pause the game and issue orders there...
The pause option is what Baldur's Gate is famous for. :| (as opposed to other great RPG's)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Tessera
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tessera » 13 Jun 2006, 22:30

Worst game, program-wise: Star Wars Galaxies. Especially after they screwed half their player base with their class and ability nerf.

Worst game, player-wise: CounterStrike, World of Warcraft, and Diablo, in that order. Not that Diablo was a bad game (far from it), but the online players ruined it for me. CS, well... I'd say it, but this is a PG-13 forum. :) World of Wartrash, I'll be blunt: Anything that has Furor Planeswalker and his group of paid sychophantic suck-up friends, gets an instant "bleep no" from me. (Furor led the top guild in all of EverQuest until he cried about not getting his way with the devs and quit like the crybaby he is.)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 22:34

Counterstrike:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jun 2006, 06:01

What can I say except OMG LOL :devil:

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 14 Jun 2006, 10:51

Outpost? (Return to Castle) Wolfenstein?
I like those two games :D
Well, I really liked Outpost 2 at least.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 18 Jun 2006, 06:12

On a slightly different note, FF8 certainly wins my award for worst RPG I've ever played. Worst overall game, though? That'd take some thinking.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jun 2006, 04:11

well bandobras, think no more

the worst game ever made, even thou most people have never played it is

drum roll please .....

BIG RIGS: Over the Road Racing

Gamespot - notorious over-raters commented on the game thus:

Just how bad is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? It's as bad as your mind will allow you to comprehend.

let me continue with some more samples from the review:
EDIT: actually here is the review:

Bad games are released all the time, and some are worse than others. This is nothing new. However, it really takes a special kind of awful to be considered one of the worst games ever made. So when this special kind of awful makes an appearance, it's truly something to behold. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is one of those rare pieces of work. Not only is it almost completely broken and blatantly unfinished in nearly every way, but even if it weren't, there's so little of an actual game to be found here that it would still be terrible. Big Rigs is a game so astoundingly bad that it manages to transcend nearly every boundary put forth by some of gaming's absolute worst of the worst and easily makes it into that dubiously extraordinary category of being one of the most atrocious games ever published.

Big Rigs' first and most grievous issue lies in its gameplay. Specifically, there isn't any.

In theory, Big Rigs is supposed to be a racing game based on big trucks that speed through various US trucking routes in some kind of effort to deliver cargo before the competition gets there first--or else the truck gets busted by the law. At least, this is what the back of the game's box would have you believe. Let us make it very clear that these statements are all horrible, horrible lies. There is no coherent goal in Big Rigs. There is no cargo to be delivered. There are no police chases. In fact, there really isn't anything much in the game.

The basic idea in the actual game is that you pick one from four vaguely different trucks and then one from five vaguely different levels. You then compete against another truck in a simple checkpoint race. That's it. However, Big Rigs can't even get this basic concept right. The supposedly computer-controlled truck you're supposed to be racing against in the game never actually moves. It's right there next to you at the beginning of a race, but it has no purpose in the game. This is to say, actually, that none of the game's races have a purpose because there's no competition and no time limit. You win every single time. So unless you especially like seeing a winning-screen over and over again that reads "You're Winner!", there is absolutely no point in playing Big Rigs.

But let's assume for a moment that the AI trucks actually worked, and you could get a race going. Even if this were the case, the game still wouldn't be worth playing in the slightest. Big Rigs' controls essentially involve hitting the arrow keys of the keyboard in the desired direction and nothing more. The game provides no support for peripheral controllers of any kind, and there isn't even an option to edit the default keyboard controls in any manner. Your truck also handles pretty horribly. There are no physics here. You accelerate much too quickly to even be minutely realistic (especially when going in reverse, which lets you go from around 0 to 60mph in about five seconds, continue accelerating infinitely faster, and stop on a dime the second you let up on the keyboard), you can travel over the most rugged of terrain without any problems (including nearly vertical mountains), and you can turn in ways that cause you to jerk around in some pretty ridiculous manners.

Of course, the controls would only matter if you actually had to worry about running into things or crashing your truck, which, actually, is a nonissue. You see, you can clip your truck right through every object on a race course in Big Rigs, from the biggest of houses and walls, right down to the smallest of lampposts. Furthermore, bridges evidently don't actually exist, despite the fact that you can see them--driving over any of them results in you sinking right through them. It is also quite possible to simply drive right off of the literal end of a level when playing. Considering the fact that you can drive over these tall, seemingly insurmountable mountains (at least, insurmountable for an actual diesel-powered truck), and there are no level boundaries, eventually you can just drive off into literal nothingness and can hang out there as long as you please.

The graphical problems don't stop there, either. Big Rigs is easily one of the worst-looking PC games released in years. The truck models are amazingly terrible, with incredibly archaic-looking designs and brake lights that actually float off of the truck models. The four different environments all look bad, too, what with their incredibly nasty-looking textures, their ugly and meaningless set pieces, and their aforementioned clipping problems. Also, the reason we state that there are only four environments in the game, instead of the five we previously cited, is because we could only get four of them to actually work. When trying to load the fifth environment, the game simply quit and returned us to the desktop on all of the computers that we tried. As for the game's sound design, there isn't any. There are literally no sound effects in Big Rigs. The only sounds that present themselves at all are a few unpleasant, looping techno tracks, and on a midrange PC, we couldn't even get them to play.

Just how bad is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? It's as bad as your mind will allow you to comprehend. It is so disturbingly bad that even its budget price tag seems like a slap in the face. It really makes you wonder if the company that put out this dreck even took so much as a half minute to glance at the game that it was releasing. The game's readme file does assert that the game was thoroughly tested on various PCs, but the end result seems to suggest otherwise. The fact is, even if you tried, you couldn't play Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing the way it was seemingly intended to be played, and even if you could, you wouldn't want to.

end of review

i got a copy and the review was correct, the "game" is the single worst piece of rubbish i have ever seen, if you can get a hold of it, do so, just for the sheer perverse pleasure of seeing how bad it is

You're Winner!

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”