Monkey Island

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics

Which is your favourite Monkey Island game?

The Secret of Monkey Island (first game)
13%
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
22%
The Curse of Monkey Island (third game)
57%
Excape from Monkey Island (fourth game)
4%
Excape from Monkey Island (fourth game)
4%

Total votes: 23

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Monkey Island

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 06 Apr 2006, 17:42

I know there are some Monkey fans out there... Show yourselves or face the wrath of Murray! :-D

My favourite is nr 3, with nr 4 very close. Monkey 3 was the first game of the series I played and my first adventure game ever. I simply loved it (and I still do)! Monkey 4 was very funny, that's why I like it so much as well.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 06 Apr 2006, 18:31

Oh I was just headed over here to open this very thread myself! :-D

I've been a huge fan of the series from the very beginning (early 90s). I'd have to say that I think the first two are 'better' overall, they are more atmospheric and the humour in #s 3&4 got a little repetitive. Also, I wasn't that fond of the 3D graphic engine of the last installment. I prefer my adventures in 2D with beautiful hand drawn graphics. :) This is not to say that Curse and Escape are bad games, quite the opposite - they are among the best adventures out there. What a pity the genre has fallen into obscurity.

I voted for #2 as my favourite. I love the storyline, the travels between the three islands (Phatt, Booty and Scabb IIRC) and the humour and atmosphere above all. Kate Capsize loaning out ships? :hoo:

One of the great aspects of Monkey Island is also that there are so many recurring characters and even some places (remember the alley you reach via the elevator towards the end of M2? It's a nod to the Melee Island alley in M1). It's exactly this plethora of minor details that makes Monkey Island the best and most elaborate adventure game ever, at least according to my taste.

Monkey Island 5, though not currently in production, will probably be made some time in the future. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
:proud:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 06 Apr 2006, 18:39

I liked M2 a lot too, though the ending was a bit strange. Anyhow, they fixed it in M3. Which reminds me... I haven't played either of them for quite some time... Carribbean, here I come! :-D

I loved the detailed atmopshere as well. It gave the series a sense of wholeness and uniqueness.

BTW, who's your favourite character, besides Guybrush? I think mine is that chimp from M4, can't remember his name... the one who taught Guy Monkey Combat.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 06 Apr 2006, 21:29

Enjoy your reacquaintance with the first two games. I've played them so many times I know them almost by heart. You're in for a great ride. You know, I'm even a little envious. :devil:

As for favourite characters, I favour no one character. They're all so unique and interesting, from the nutty Guybrush, his love interest Elaine, the grotesque LeChuck to all the minor characters, such as Mojo, Stan and even those men of low moral fibre, that spice up the game. :-D

Try http://www.worldofmi.com/ - for all your Monkey Island needs!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 08 Apr 2006, 12:58

I must say I haven't played 1 or 2 but I have played 3 and 4 and like 3 better.

BTW do you guys know if there is a fifth part in the making?

Edit:

I checked the site. Gut my answer. Shame though. BTW I hope the next game is back in 2D
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 Apr 2006, 17:24

The Curse of Monkey Island (third game)

It have such a great atmosphere and gameplay and things are always funny to watch and do :-D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Apr 2006, 13:12

Monkey 3 in the lead? Blasphemy! ;)

bltbri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bltbri » 30 Nov 2006, 02:45

Monkey 3 was my favorite. Does anyone else remember the scene where Guybrush had to convince his shipmates that they had to set sail but all they were interested in doing was singing? You would make a statement like "Hoist the sails!" and they would reply with a goofy song that rhymed with what Guybrush had just said. Finally Guybrush said something like "We could avoid the scurvy if we all ate an orange" and his shipmates couldn't come up with a rhyme. The best they could come up with is "door hinge". Very funny stuff!

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 30 Nov 2006, 11:10

Oh, goodness, I remember this game... I only played the first one, I had no idea that there were any others.. I loved it though, especially being a 7-year old kid at the time..

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 30 Nov 2006, 14:29

ive only played the second.

its not the best point&clicky i have played.
but the starting island had great atmosphere.

EDIT: actually it wasnt maybe the second, i dont remember its name either
Last edited by vhilhu on 30 Nov 2006, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Nov 2006, 15:12

I played #3, but never managed to finish it. How do you light up that Lighthouse anyway?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 30 Nov 2006, 17:33

@dallasmavs41

You should pick up the other installments, I think you're bound to like 'em.

@vhilhu

Personally, I do consider MI2 to be the best point and click adventure. Which one is your pick?

@TT

It's been a while since I played #3, so perhaps that's why I don't remember any lighthouse there. I do remember one from MI2, though.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 30 Nov 2006, 17:36

Can't remember which lighthouse you're referring to, but you are aware that there's such a thing as DLH and the UHS, right? ;)

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 30 Nov 2006, 18:12

Metathron wrote:Personally, I do consider MI2 to be the best point and click adventure. Which one is your pick?
Quest for Glory 4. a bit too easy, but fun nevertheless.

Tlön: a Misty Story was better too, but unfinishable due to a bug. i just dont like cartoon atmosphere of monkey island and Tlön is the SINGLE BEST ATMOSPHERED GAME EVER MADE.

and text parser games i liked more than point&clickies too. eg QfG 2.

but my favorite of these 3 is probably Tlön. its sad it cant be played to the end.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 30 Nov 2006, 18:49

We obviously have different tastes, then.

Cartoonish graphics are clearly the way to go in adventure games, if you ask me, none of that 3D nonsense for me.

As for QFG, #1 is by far the best of the series to me, and one of my favourite games ever. Since the graphics are a bit dated (no wonder, the game is old), it's good to know they released a VGA remake a couple of years later, which looks pretty good.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Nov 2006, 19:02

Discworld is mine favourite here.But I didnt play MI except for a few brief scenes,which still were hillarious.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 30 Nov 2006, 19:19

Metathron wrote:Cartoonish graphics are clearly the way to go in adventure games, if you ask me, none of that 3D nonsense for me.
i hate 3d too (burn, h4&5, burn! h4 was too 3d-like also). but i hate cartoons too. my favorites are oil-painting-like. as this scene from Tlön:

no cartoon or 3d can seem as pretty as this :(

and the worst is, no new games have such graphics anymore.

[/nostalgy]

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”