my grandson wants me to play online help

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

my grandson wants me to play online help

Unread postby starlady11 » 31 Mar 2006, 07:40

i'm a might and magic nut but my grandson wants me to play an rpg game called dark ages of chamolot, i told him you guys would know if this a good game and if 14=15 $ a mo for site is good, i've never played rpg online, so know from nothing :devil: can't let him know grandmas stpid now :S :D

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 Mar 2006, 13:45

Dark Age of Camelot is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), which means thousands of players are playing it at once on different servers. It can be a very fun experience, but it makes the game much more challenging (because you will be playing with people who have been playing this for months if not for years). If your grandson is familiar with the game, he might be able to help you get familiar with the controls and the game. Otherwise you might spend some time wandering around looking for what to do (I'm not sure how good is the DAoC tutorial) and trying to understand the MMO jargon used by the players. Also, keep in mind you'll be playing monthly fees to play this game, so it could end up being expensive.

I must say that I'm not a big fans of MMOs, but I wanted you to know what you can expect from your first MMO session.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby starlady11 » 31 Mar 2006, 18:23

i'm not a fan of them either,but my grandson wants to play :D thanks so much for your reply,and by the way i'm the one who will have to tell him how to play :devil: he's used to gameboy :proud: ;| as for the langage we will both be lost,and he has to pay,cause i can't :(
patty

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Mar 2006, 20:36

The problem with MMORPGs is that you're playing them against/with other human beings, and in my experience, at least 90% of all human beings are idiots. Considering that the demographic that plays MMORPGs is heavily skewed towards adolescent males, that number is probably more like 99%. In other words, you're going to spend a majority of your time dealing with idiots and a minority of your time actually enjoying the game.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 31 Mar 2006, 22:13

I have no knowledge about the game you stated above but in my opinion MMO's are a waste of money. You pay a fee every month to play the game that will eventually cost more than just buying a regular game at a(somewhat) high price.

starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby starlady11 » 31 Mar 2006, 22:36

I'M SENDING YOUR ANSWERS TO MY GRANDSON DOES ANYONE HAVE A WAY WE COULD PLAY AGAIST EACH OTHER OR WITH EACH OTHER LONG DISTANCE AS I AM NOT AROUND ANYONE WHO LIKES THESE GAMES AND
I WOULD ENJOY PLAYING THEM WITH HIM. SORRY FOR THE CAPS JUST NOTICE I HAD CAPLOCK ON :( :devil: opps ;)

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 02 Apr 2006, 01:06

There are RPG games out that offer multiplayer capability. Unfortunately a good percentage of those are the action oriented RPG-lite titles. I do know that the Baldur's Gate series and possibly Icewind Dale series offer multiplayer. The most recent RPG title I can think of with many options for multiplayer games is Neverwinter Nights. With enough effort, I'm sure you and your grandson can find a game to play cooperatively.

P.S. - The problem with 'blanket statements' like '90% of people are idiots' is that invariably people making these statements think they are excluded from the idiot group and it reinforces a stereotype. I always am mindful of the fact that everything I say and do affects at least one other person, so all I'm asking is that people think before acting.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Apr 2006, 15:03

DaveO wrote:There are RPG games out that offer multiplayer capability. Unfortunately a good percentage of those are the action oriented RPG-lite titles. I do know that the Baldur's Gate series and possibly Icewind Dale series offer multiplayer. The most recent RPG title I can think of with many options for multiplayer games is Neverwinter Nights. With enough effort, I'm sure you and your grandson can find a game to play cooperatively.
Baldur's Gate is very fun played in multiplayer. Highly recommended.
P.S. - The problem with 'blanket statements' like '90% of people are idiots' is that invariably people making these statements think they are excluded from the idiot group and it reinforces a stereotype.
It was what we call tongue-in-cheek. *sigh*
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 05 Apr 2006, 12:02

MMORPG is a huge mistake of the Gaming world...
I am playing a MMORPG(lineage2, not official thought)and I have experience for such games. First, they are awfull as games, not good scenarios(or not at all) and boring hack n' slash gameplay. Second, they offer a new experience(the massive experience)but it is ADICTIVEEEE(there was a time I couldn't stop). Third, and the most important, these games are destroying the meaning of computer gaming.Computer games are art for me, the combination of a good story and a good gameplay is fascinating, but in a MMORPG u will soon realize that the only purpose is to compete other humen(and as corribus said many of them are idiots).You will soon realize that this competition will make u sick. You will see many players can't understand where the game ends and when real life starts. I hope u understand what I'm saying. If you can control yourself and take things cool and easy is not bad to spent few hours in a MMORPG, but I can't compare it with a good single-player experience.

sorry for my bad english again guys :-p
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 05 Apr 2006, 22:56

If you want to play an MMORPG I think World of Warcraft is the way to go. Apparently it's much more first-timer/casual player friendly and it's immensely popular. Dark ages is quite old, now.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Apr 2006, 21:05

You can minimize the idiot factor if you can talk some friends into playing at the same time. With a regular group of, say, ten players, you should be able to organize a decent party for a weekly session. You might want to give some thought to party composition as well, so you don't end up with 8 elf magic users and no healer.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

to lord 13

Unread postby starlady11 » 30 Apr 2006, 20:27

i agree that the games are art, i take care of my chacters very carefully, my son and i would fight over him killing them even :D :devil: patty

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”