Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Games you bought but never really played

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jul 2011, 18:58

I'll got first: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

I actually played about half an hour, but I was so disappointed. There was Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, spaceships and pretty planets... but the controls were awfully bad (on the PC at least) and the gameplay so repetitive. The only good point is that I got a digital version, so there's no case to gather dust.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Jul 2011, 21:07

I concur. My version was digital as well...

Lords of the Realm III. Boooh, full-on RTS! LotR II is still awesome though.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Bland fiddly graphics, no creature stacks. Bah. Any HoMM is way better.

Bonus: game I'd be interested in, but which the demo saved me from buying: Cæsar IV. 2D not good enough, eh!? It was clunky and unappealing. Cæsar III is superb, however.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 28 Jul 2011, 21:07

Em...the only ones I can think of right now are Half-Life 2, Halo, and Modern Wank-off.

Luckily I bought them at a discount (probably used), something like 5 e/game.

EDIT:

Oh, and Legend Of Might & Magic...or whatever it was called, that was quite disappointing.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 06 Sep 2011, 04:59

Age of Wonder : Shadow Magic. I agree. Even more a boor than the previous installment.

Master of Orion 3. Never understood how this work either. Should've never believed IGN's review.

Merchant Prince 2. A cheap remake of Civilization with more errors than worth.

Galactic Civilization 2. Not as good as it should be.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 06 Sep 2011, 14:15

MoO 3 was a hackjob of epic proportions... I remember I liked the mood, setting, various races, but the game itself is awful. And I really tried, tried several times later too, with tons of mods and fixes, but by then it was too late.

GalCiv II is great though, but not for everyone I guess.
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Sep 2011, 04:55

Demon Souls.

I played for 30 minutes, got my ass handed to me. Played another 30 minutes, got my ass handed to me again. After about another hour I gave up.

Really wanted to like it but for me it was too punishing to be enjoyable.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Sep 2011, 01:41

Shogun 2.

It just seems I have to have internet connection to install it. It's still under progress. :-D

Oh, and Crysis 2. I couldn't make it work until today. Not that I'm craving for it anymore. :(
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 11 Sep 2011, 08:04

Perhaps it is really more difficult to make a decent sci-fi based fantasy game ?

From what I've played, many of them just gave more aarrrghs...than oh, wows !

Let's check my disappointment bin: Star Control 3, Reach for the Star, Space Empire 4, Master of Orion 3, Outpost 2.... 8| 8| 8|

Just what happened with the galaxy..? ;|

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 11 Sep 2011, 16:20

I play all the games I buy. That's the way to conserve the most $$$ after all, although it does mean I usually wait for reviews etc before buying a game.

Next games up are probably The Witcher 2 (lol haven't started playing this, although I thoroughly enjoyed The Witcher), Starcraft 2 (lol haven't started playing this yet either), Diablo 3 and Might and Magic Heroes 6 :)
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Sep 2011, 00:12

Hopefully I'll have Internet Connection to also play Diablo 3. =) And then, if I remember, Shogun 2. :rolleyes:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2011, 15:20

With my backlog i can't even pick one game that i've bought and haven't gotten to play...

Corribus wrote:Demon Souls.

I played for 30 minutes, got my ass handed to me. Played another 30 minutes, got my ass handed to me again. After about another hour I gave up.

Really wanted to like it but for me it was too punishing to be enjoyable.
From the videos i've seen it has the wrong kind of difficulty... where you just have to use certain strategies only...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 25 Oct 2011, 23:20

I can think of a few.

Lords of the Realm 3: I loved the old Lords of the Realm 2, and kept on playing it until it finally stopped working on newer computers. So I figured when Lords of the Realm 3 came out that I'd love it. I started playing the tutorial and one of the first things it says is "your attention is a valuable resource, multiple battles, etc can go on at the same time on your map. You'll have to rely on the computer to handle things in some places and focus your attention on where it really matters". I didn't play too much more after that, and seeing other changes I didn't like.

Age of Empires 3: I liked 1 and 2 of the series, but I just never really got into #3. I think part of the problem for me is that I didn't like how they moved into a modern time period where just about all of your units had guns. My younger brother played it some, and I didn't really like what I heard from him about the campaign, such as one stage where you play as a railroad company that declares war on another railroad company in America. Seriously!?! While railroad companies in the south may have purposely built different railroad tracks to stop their competitors from using their own railroads, I'm pretty certain that they never declared war on each other.

Legends of Might and Magic: I thought it was just another Might and Magic game, only to realize after buying it that it was met to be a multiplayer game, and that there was little to do in single player games, so I became bored of it very quickly.

Baldur's Gate 1: I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate 2, so I figured that I ought to try out #1. I quickly grew frustrated at new functionality in Baldur's Gate 2 that was missing in #1 however, such as an area of map. I also couldn't stand the really slow walking speeds of my characters, and the slow walking speed problem was made worse by the lack of an area map. I gave up on it within a half an hour out of frustration at it taking forever to walk anywhere.

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 27 Oct 2011, 09:11

Heroes of might and magic 3 trololol

On a more serious note, Dragon age 2 was complete crap for me, stopped playing after a few hours.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Oct 2011, 14:04

ShadowLiberal wrote:
Lords of the Realm 3: I loved the old Lords of the Realm 2, and kept on playing it until it finally stopped working on newer computers. So I figured when Lords of the Realm 3 came out that I'd love it. I started playing the tutorial and one of the first things it says is "your attention is a valuable resource, multiple battles, etc can go on at the same time on your map. You'll have to rely on the computer to handle things in some places and focus your attention on where it really matters". I didn't play too much more after that, and seeing other changes I didn't like.
:handshake:

Love LotR II to bits, anxiously awaited III, played it about 1 hour after I got it, then shelved it and never tried it again.
- Duke

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Oct 2011, 14:37

Ah, yes, Age of Empires III... :cry: Felt hollow while playing it, as if getting units and things done in the game weren't really worth the try. It's similar to what I felt while playing Age of Mythology.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 27 Oct 2011, 19:44

Actually, Age of Mythology was a fantastic game for its time (I still think it's a very good game), given it was one of the earliest "true 3D" RTS games ever released. It looked good, too.

Age of Empires III was a good game, as well, but the major problem with it was the maps were WAY smaller than the ones in AoE2 and AoM and there were fewer playable civilizations in it (despite all of them being nicely done). The Home City concept, the treasures, the Native Americans, etc all were nice additions, but they never "revolutionized" the series, which was something desperately needed (to breathe new life into the same old formulaic/repetitive gameplay).
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Oct 2011, 19:52

I still have an unopened copy of Heroes VI on my desk....

... but I've been busy with work. I will install it soon. :D
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2011, 11:17

TheUndeadKing wrote:Actually, Age of Mythology was a fantastic game for its time (I still think it's a very good game), given it was one of the earliest "true 3D" RTS games ever released. It looked good, too.
I think I wasn't prepared to play that game. I was always a bit resistant against fancy stuff. :D I played the game a while and had rather a fun, but it was like a rush of joy. Soon it passed.

@Angelspit
Oi! People are reading this, AS! :rumor:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 05 Nov 2011, 21:48

Well Dawn of War 2 for me. Not that I hate the setting or whatever. It's just that I grew up playing RTS games and having to build a base. With that gone, I didn't knew if I would like it. But hey, I LOVE IT! It's pretty damn sweet!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 10 Nov 2012, 11:42

Baldurs gate 2 - have it many years and never was able reach more than 30% progress of game, anyway the same story as Icewind Dale 1 and 2 am just fan of FPP RPG such as Elder Scrolls, M&M, well somehow am completed BG1 but not enjoyed it really.

There is also situation when you buy game but dont have time for them, for example week ago i buy 5 games but have time for only one, and it seem like will play it months because am big fan (else even not install to check how they look etc)

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”