Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 14 Jul 2011, 23:13

Now this game looks and sounds way ambitious to me. I really hope they can pull it off this time, because I really don't want another Invisible War.

Look who's talking during 00:20-00:29:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/consp ... -ex/717259
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Asmodis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Asmodis » 15 Jul 2011, 00:09

Yeah, not getting my hopes up here. I'd love for it to be as versatile as the original one but judging from the trailers/gameplay vids so far this will prolly be dumbed down to a cyberpunk-themed ME2 really (and sadly, praised for it).

But then again, Thi4f is more important to me anyway. :D

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 15 Jul 2011, 06:33

I'd rather play one of the great mods for Deus Ex -- the one and only game worthy of that name.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jul 2011, 20:22

I "hear" that if one wants they can already test the game to see how it's like... ;)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 15 Jul 2011, 21:16

Wow, I didn't know "a preview for educational purposes" was released already! :D
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jul 2011, 21:27

And some people where saying some good things about the educational experience too...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 22 Aug 2011, 22:20

It's coming out this week, and OMG, it's very promising! B-)

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 28 Aug 2011, 11:02

I've now reached China and I have to say that so far this is better than the first Deus Ex. That should tell you how awesome game this is.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Aug 2011, 14:28

Totally putting this up on the marketplace, I guess I should look into buying it too ...

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 28 Aug 2011, 14:49

Humakt wrote:I've now reached China and I have to say that so far this is better than the first Deus Ex. That should tell you how awesome game this is.
Blasphemy! Prepare to eat my Dragon's Tooth.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 28 Aug 2011, 15:29

hatsforclowns wrote:
Humakt wrote:I've now reached China and I have to say that so far this is better than the first Deus Ex. That should tell you how awesome game this is.
Blasphemy! Prepare to eat my Dragon's Tooth.
*thwack* *thwack* YAARGH!!!

What a shame. He was a good man. What a rotten way to die. B-)

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 28 Aug 2011, 17:54

I've progressed even further in the game and it is definitely better than the first Deus Ex, while giving it a nice homage.

Skill system is better, so are fps mechanics, sneaking, environments and population, graphics (technically and style-wise), hacking is a lot better, haven't seen any silly mutants and story is on par with the first so far.

So only thing first Deus Ex has it better is the music, but there are some good tracks in Human Revolution too.
Thundermaps

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 28 Aug 2011, 22:09

What about the story, characters and (most importantly) dialogue?

It's very good to hear that Human Revolution is a worthy addition to the series, even though I don't think it can top the original Deus Ex.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 29 Aug 2011, 10:31

Story and dialogue is about on same level with original. Characters are more interesting in this IMO.

And the dialogue-system is the best I've seen.

Only way the first Deus Ex could be better than this is if player/reviewer is biased and nostalgic, I reckon. (I personally played first Deus Ex through just a month ago, so I still have fresh memory of it. It was definitely a great game but far from perfect)
Thundermaps

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 29 Aug 2011, 20:25

Well, nostalgia aside, Deus Ex really is still something special after all these years. It was never "perfect", even when it was released (its graphics were criticized when it came out in 2000!), but it was and still is a hell lot better than the sum of its parts. The atmosphere, the level design is still great, and the dialogue in Deus Ex is just amazing! And most importantly, it's a box full of secrets (some notable examples: there are 3 ways to "kill" Anna Navarre, you can save your brother Paul, your pilot Jock, etc)! And actions affect your dialogue, which is also done in a unique way, as well!

Here's a few more examples; just watch these, and be amazed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGtltrQlXw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeKFu5oz56U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuN-N3ti3v4

And this conversation alone can make Deus Ex the best game ever made (funny thing is, you can skip this part and complete the game without ever seeing it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 29 Aug 2011, 21:03

Despite a few minor imperfections, Deus Ex is the best game I have ever played. Hands down. Nothing has come even close to the awesome story, dialogue, and gameplay of the original game.

From the looks of the walkthroughs I've been watching on youtube, Human Revolution is still meh, and still not something I accept as Deus Ex.

Invisible War is Invisible War, and Human Revolution is Human Revolution, but there is only one, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE, Deus Ex.

As I progress with the youtube videos, and maybe even torrenting the damn thing (f**k you for not making a demo) and playing it, I might change my mind.

However, so far, meh.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 30 Aug 2011, 11:45

TheUndeadKing wrote:there are 3 ways to "kill" Anna Navarre
I thought it was a tiny bit lame how two of the three boss battles could be handled by simple phrases (which are very easy to find too).

I'm not arguing that Deus Ex isn't a great game, I just think Human Revolution is better. I wouldn't say Human Revolution is the best game I've played either but both it and Deus Ex are definitely up there.
Thundermaps

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 30 Aug 2011, 16:25

Oh, I see. It's a matter of preference, after all. I just like the first game for many reasons and it really is more than just nostalgia to me. No offense to Adam Jensen, but JC Denton will always be my favourite biomodified hero of all time. B-)

Even though I haven't played it yet, one thing I must say is that, Human Revolution does have a fantastic art design. Adam Jensen's voice and character are pretty cool, as well. The gameplay videos I've seen so far aren't bad either. I can definitely see why people might like it more than our ugly old Deus Ex. It definitely looks and plays better than Invisible War though, I'll give it that. (Speaking of which, even though it ruined all the things I liked in Deus Ex, Invisible War was also an above average game for its genre. Too bad it ended up being a terrible console port.).

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 30 Aug 2011, 16:39

- "My vision is augmented."

- "Suuuure."

- "JC! A bomb!!!!"
- "A bomb."

Gawd I love JC and his voice actor! XD

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 30 Aug 2011, 17:04

TheUndeadKing wrote: And this conversation alone can make Deus Ex the best game ever made (funny thing is, you can skip this part and complete the game without ever seeing it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw
Nice philosophical conversation in that, I indeed missed it. Anyway, it can't top this (didn't find better video which would have more than just the video portion of the monologue): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWFamOkBGQ

Shorter version without noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkBrIrQikWY
Different part of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geXbfEOy ... re=related
Thundermaps

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”