Crysis 2

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Crysis 2

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Jul 2011, 15:37

Didn't find any threads on this one. I was wondering if anyone has played this one, if you find it's ok?

I mean the PC version.

Speaking of that, I still couldn't manage creating an account at MyCrysis to solve a problem I'm having to install my game.

I bought it, the Limited Edition at a store and when I try installing it (the PCs have the requirement ok), either if they connected to the internet or not, the install process shows a window with an error:

It shows something like this (I'm writing from memory):
"Error reading E:\gamecrysis2\music.pak. Please check if there's this file on the directory and that you can access it.

Retry Cancel"

The file is there alright, but I just can't poke the DVD and tell it that I found the file. If I pick Retry, it'll keep installing, then it asks again, and then again. Around 3 times until the bar is completely filled. But it'll start all over and ask again, again. If I choose Cancel, it'll stop installing.

It's so annoying when you spend almost 100 bucks on a game you wanted so much play and it starts giving problems at the very beginning.

I hope I will be able to make and account at MyCrysis and try and see if this is a known issue or if I just got the bad luck to get a problematic DVD.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 04 Jul 2011, 22:08

I'd probably return the DVD and ask for a new one, that's definitely not a normal issue with the game.

Crysis 2 is the best single player FPS i've played in quite a long time (probably since Half Life 2 Episode 2). DO NOT listen to all the whiners on the internet who complain about the game.

The graphics are crazily optimised, which means you'll get graphics you'd never get from other games with your hardware, and now if you want better ones you can get a DX11 patch. Gameplay is actually very good, they took away a tiny bit of the openness and basically made it much more fun and challenging this time, no more cloaking around the entire map.

Multiplayer's good but nothing to hang around for. There's a couple of game modes that are awesome in particular, Assault and Crash Site. The sheer speed of the games makes it very different to other multiplayers, it plays like CoD mixed with Unreal Tournament.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 05 Jul 2011, 06:06

OK to provide some whining (objective and fair from my POV) review of game.
1) As sad as it is, considering cryisis should be pioneer in graphics, graphically game is inferior to Crysis 1. Sure it have some extra shaders, but I felt that C1 had no worse if not better graphics, and thats considering game is 3-4 years old.
2) Plot is insanely weak and messed up. There is little to no connection to previous parts. (slight spoiler) there is only 1 character from previous parts and he dies after 1 min of screen time at the very beginning of game. Overally game have little to do with crysis and game style feels like combo of every game I played in last few years but crysis. Moving through NY we see strong deya-vu of COD:MW, of FEAR2, aliens vehicles look like nod structures from CC3 and nothing like squids, and even some stuff from Fallout Vegas. Basically it feels that none at story department even saw crysis 1 or wh.
3) Gameplay itself is standartized of instead of providing open island, it gives "sectors of city " that is like mini level. Before each you can check for supplays, for hinted attack routes, but in the end it feels much more cramped. Not bad or good thing- protagonist is severly weaker than in c1 and thus stealth mode must be constantly used.
4) Game(like many games and for example fear3) have strong console undertones. For example it features cover system that is basically only needed if you play on console.
5) Multilayer is basically clone of COD:MW, with stealth mode and jumps.

Said all that, it is still decent game, but it is far from ideal game I would expect from such name after Crysis and Far cry.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Jul 2011, 14:51

Thank you both for the views upon the game.

I cannot really compare the game with others because I haven't played Fallout, Far Cry, Crysis 1, Halo, or else, perhaps it'll be what we call "ignorance shield" that might make me have some more fun than other experienced players. :D

The last game I played for PC was Resident Evil 5 (very interested on 6, though).

I'll take my DVD to test with a friend of mine that has many of these games in his computer. If this won't do, I'll try getting a new DVD copy. And also will get Crysis 1 after a fashion.

Never was a fan of FPS, but it's indeed thrilling when you get the hang of it.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jul 2011, 20:55

tress wrote:
1) As sad as it is, considering cryisis should be pioneer in graphics, graphically game is inferior to Crysis 1. Sure it have some extra shaders, but I felt that C1 had no worse if not better graphics, and thats considering game is 3-4 years old.
Did you try the Dx11 patch yet?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 07 Jul 2011, 08:28

Haven't had time to replay it yet, as I only did one walk through not long after game was released.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jul 2011, 13:08

WEll let us know if the visual are as good as Crysis 1 when you do...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Jul 2011, 20:59

Bah, in the end, the DVD is the problem. I'll have another copy and it'll take a while until I get it. Meanwhile, going to download that patch.

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 05 Aug 2011, 20:29

ThunderTitan wrote:WEll let us know if the visual are as good as Crysis 1 when you do...
In my opinion, Crysis 1 got better visuals when all settings are on max. However, Crysis 2 is much more lenient of your hardware. I wouldn't really say that C2 looks worse, but it's like there's a certain finishing touch missing that made C1 look so darned good. Or maybe it's simply the fact that it's easier to impress with good jungle graphics than good urban graphics.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 06 Aug 2011, 14:31

I think Crysis 2 looks better than the first, especially with Direct X 11 patches. Lighting and colors were better from the start IMO. Environment has a lot more variety as well.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2011, 15:07

Daerandin wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:WEll let us know if the visual are as good as Crysis 1 when you do...
In my opinion, Crysis 1 got better visuals when all settings are on max.
Well i wasn't asking for a one legged race...

BTW, did you guys hear about Crysis 1 coming to consoles?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 26 Sep 2011, 16:28

ThunderTitan wrote:
Daerandin wrote:
In my opinion, Crysis 1 got better visuals when all settings are on max.
Well i wasn't asking for a one legged race...

BTW, did you guys hear about Crysis 1 coming to consoles?
Ye but still with cut goodies. Asside from fact that I consider playing shooter with game pad travesty(just like playing DMC4 or metal gear with mouse/keyboard) they are still releasing Crysis for less advanced ppl :) Still would be nice if PC would retain some big name exclusives in action genre. Console owe us newest mortal kombat and MSG4 for it....
Anyway to cope with console hardware limitations they will change effects and partially will port it to console CrysisENGINE 3.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”