Are there any good zombie-apocalypse games?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Are there any good zombie-apocalypse games?

Unread postby Ethric » 02 Jul 2011, 15:12

You know, like Fallout, but with zombies as the end of the world-theme. Anyone know of such a game? Age doesn't matter much, if it's any good. Not only RPG, FPS could be fun too (though then age does matter a bit).
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2011, 15:26

Well as a FPS there's Left 4 Dead 1&2... i'd suggest the 2nd one as Valve is supporting it more (by including maps from the 1st in it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7QCtuaXgI

Ther's also the upcoming Dead Island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SfgnRsqZQ

And there a re others on consoles, but i don't know them...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 02 Jul 2011, 15:47

Dead Island sounds fun, but wtf, from wiki: "...with a major emphasis on melee combat" :| Whaaa-aaay?

Could try Left 4 Dead/2 I guess. Cooperative, it says, does that mean I have to sheperd dumb AI's around, with a big fat GAME OVER screen as soon as one of them get stuck on a corner and dies?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2011, 16:26

Losing a team mate doesn't actually end the game, and they will respawn in closets at certain points, so dumb AI isn't much of a problem... and you can even win with only you remaining (but that's really hard as most special infected incapacitate you and you need a team mate to release you).

Of course it's a Valve game, so you need Steam and if you have a net connection you might as well play co-op... Mistweaver still plays it almost every day if you're looking for team-mates...

I'd play, but for some reason the game crapped out on me... my hardware has issues with Source games it seems.

It's even on sale now for under 10€: http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/

Dead Island on the other hand seems to be more of a first person console action adventure game (like GTA) instead of a shooter...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 02 Jul 2011, 16:33

Haha, respawn in a closet... "I wasn't hiding in there, honest!"
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2011, 16:45

Actually hey say something like "let me out of here!" ... i guess a zombie apocalypse is great for discriminated minorities...

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 02 Jul 2011, 22:02

You do not want to play Left 4 Dead in SP. It is worthless and boring that way. Better to play it with people, and best when played with buddies.

You could also try Call of Duty: World at War or Call of Duty: Black Ops, which both have nice Nazi-Zombies mode added to them. Better have buddies when playing that too.

If it doesn't have to be strictly only zombies, well, there are Doom games too, which also got plenty of zombies to chew and the action is still very good after all these years.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Jul 2011, 22:38

Ethric wrote:Haha, respawn in a closet... "I wasn't hiding in there, honest!"
:D

Co-op MP sounds fun, though. I remember playing BG:Dark alliance 2-player on PS, that was fun.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 02 Jul 2011, 23:59

Humakt wrote:You do not want to play Left 4 Dead in SP. It is worthless and boring that way. Better to play it with people, and best when played with buddies.

You could also try Call of Duty: World at War or Call of Duty: Black Ops, which both have nice Nazi-Zombies mode added to them. Better have buddies when playing that too.

If it doesn't have to be strictly only zombies, well, there are Doom games too, which also got plenty of zombies to chew and the action is still very good after all these years.
Hiss, other people... mostly/only after SP-games, centered particularily around the classical zombie apocalypse-theme. Because it's my favourite end of the world :D
- Duke

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 04 Jul 2011, 13:12

Resident Evil 2.

But seriously it's a completely different type of game, in terms of fallout style with zombies, i guess you can say S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, but i wouldn't say it's extremely scary. Basically think of S.T.A.L.K.E.R as an FPS/RPG, and Fallout as an RPG/FPS and that's basically it in a nutshell, both quality games.

if you decide to get S.T.A.L.K.E.R though you have to download a mod to make it a 10x better game.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 04 Jul 2011, 13:14

Tried Dead Rising 1 and 2?
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Jul 2011, 13:22

I'm halfway through Resident Evil 5. Much slower pace than L4D and third person view, but quite enjoyable.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Jul 2011, 13:39

"Up to 7,000 zombies can be seen onscreen at the same time" 8| Awesome :D

Both Dead Rising and STALKER seems like potential fun games, thanks for the tips :)

@Spin: there seem to be several STALKER-games, with a confusing order of appearance (both a sequel and a prequel). Is there a best/biggest/ultimate one?

By the way, when I referred to "like Fallout, but with zombies", I meant the original Fallout games, which are proper RPG's. But FPS-hybrids are fun too.

I played Resident Evil 2 on the PS back in the day (I should have a copy somewhere, even). And we played the original RE on my friends PS without a memory card. That was a bit too hardcore, so I had to by a card...

Incidentally, I bought RE 5 on sale a few weeks ago, to fill up a gift certificate that was about to expire. Oddly, all the installation menues were in chinese writing, and the game wouldn't install. So had to return it, and asked the guy at the store if they bought their stuff from Hong Kong or somesuch place. Which he said they didn't. But as long as I got my money back...
- Duke

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 04 Jul 2011, 14:28

1. Тень Чернобыля (Shadow Of Chernobyl)
2. Чистое небо (Clear Sky)
3. Зов Припяти (Call Of Pripyat)

SOC has the best atmosphere, and biggest world, and probably the longest gameplay, but is buggy as hell (though not as bad as Oblivion/FO3).

CS is not as good as SOC and didn't improve much in stability.

COP is the most stable and has a lot of improvements in gameplay, and has the biggest maps.

Other than that, there's not much difference. I'm still waiting for a COP mod that let's you play the entire world from 1-3. Just make sure you:

1. get the Russian versions, and install the English text mods; or
2. get the English versions, and install the Russian sound mods.

The vanilla firearm configs are also quite horrible.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2011, 15:00

Shyranis wrote:Tried Dead Rising 1 and 2?
Aren't those console only?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Jul 2011, 15:39

hatsforclowns wrote:

COP sounds the best choice then. But why would I mismatch languages with mods, bearing in mind I don't know any russian?
- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Jul 2011, 15:57

ThunderTitan wrote:
Shyranis wrote:Tried Dead Rising 1 and 2?
Aren't those console only?
No, both are available on the PC.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2011, 16:15

Angelspit wrote: No, both are available on the PC.
Wikipedia says YOU LIE, sir: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_rising

The 2nd one is listed as for Win though... guess i was wrong.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 04 Jul 2011, 16:37

Ethric wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:

COP sounds the best choice then. But why would I mismatch languages with mods, bearing in mind I don't know any russian?
English voice acting in SOC was ok, but in SC and especially COP it was horrible. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Besides, it's Зона отчуждения, English is the last language I want to hear.

You know:

* Russian apocalyptic zombie FPS -- Hello, sausage, egg and chips, please.
* ancient Norse RPG -- Hello, sausage, egg and chips, please.
* ancient Chinese fantasy -- Hello, sausage, egg and chips, please.
* human colony on Mars, 2000 years in the future -- Hello, sausage, egg and chips, please.
* extragalactic alien empire coming to exterminate us -- Hello, sausage, egg and chips, please.
* 11th dimension supersymmetric brane being -- Cake or death?

Such a tiny little detail, yet so vital! :)

Using Russian sound mods change all voices and dialogue to Russian, while keeping English text. Using English text mods changes the text in the Russian version to English.

Either way, the goal is to have Russian sounds. Most of the good mods include said Russian sounds anyway.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Jul 2011, 17:14

ThunderTitan wrote: Wikipedia says YOU LIE
Hold on, let me fix that.... Not anymore!

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”