Best strategy game 2010?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Pol
Admin
Admin

Best strategy game 2010?

Unread postby Pol » 11 Dec 2010, 17:34

I'm thinking about buying good strategic game, at the fall of year. And apart from King's Bounty series - which isn't much of a strategical game and I have it already - I preselected three candidates.

[q="List:"]
  1. Age of Wonders
  2. AI War
  3. Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
[/q]
And I'm looking for more hints from you, in that direction. :D

Likely it will be Age of Wonders, as it's MoM most similar game. Still, rather oddly I found only handful of a candidates. So, logically being a bit skeptical, if I'm not omitting, perhaps some not so well known but great titles, I'm inquiring here! :)

And what game you will be buying for Christmas?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 11 Dec 2010, 23:34

You could go with Elemental - War of Magic. Buyer beware though. I've been following the game's development in their dev journals, and it still doesn't seem "finished" yet.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Dec 2010, 02:46

One time I was in a Best Buy in New Orleans I saw Sacred 2It was a mere 20 bucks so didn't hesitate. Although it was more than I year ago I didn't played it for more than 10 hours. Still I never felt regret buying it. It's an amazingly complex game, and can provide a lot of play if you catch the rhythm.
It's not a turn based game, but it's a decent RPG, and it's not that expensive either. Try a demo or something. I say it worth a try.
From the ones you've selected I would go with the AoW, since AIWars is just too plastic (or fake but that's too harsh), and Grotesque is too cartoony (Like Torchlight)
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2010, 12:52

Sacred 2 felt even more off control wise then Sacred 1... why can't any Diablo clone actually control like Diablo... when you hit something in that game it actually feels like you're hitting it.... while in most diablo clones i played it doesn't.

But Sacred's one map world is something others need to copy...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Dec 2010, 17:57

You can't compare Diablo with anything else. And that's true for the most of the Blizzard games. I think the reason would the time they spend developing the games.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 13 Dec 2010, 16:47

So what Sacred 2 or Diablo have in common with strategy games?

Supreme Commander 2, Starcraft 2 and Civilization 5 are probably top candidates for this year.

For older titles I'd recommend these great games: Fantasy General, Warlords 2 Deluxe, Warlords 3 Darklords Rising, Warlords Battlecry series, Supreme Commander and Jagged Alliance (any of them really).

And of course there are Heroes of Might and Magic 2-5. :P
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Dec 2010, 17:49

I do have Jagged Alliance as a free present from GOG. :D

So may try it, thanks for tip!
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 13 Dec 2010, 20:50

Pol wrote:I do have Jagged Alliance as a free present from GOG. :D

So may try it, thanks for tip!
First one and Deadly Games are great games. But modded Jagged Alliance 2 is easily one of the best games around.

But you can't go wrong either way with JA.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Dec 2010, 21:46

Muszka wrote:You can't compare Diablo with anything else. And that's true for the most of the Blizzard games. I think the reason would the time they spend developing the games.
You could spend 10 years on a game and never get that right (i heard Too Human was like that)... i think it has more to do with the fact that they actually have gamers play testing for them...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Jan 2011, 19:47

Pol, if you go with Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic, the "Brave New World" mod is magnificent. However, it does make sweeping changes, so if you don't like that sort of thing, ignore this.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Jan 2011, 22:09

mr.hackcrag wrote:Pol, if you go with Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic, the "Brave New World" mod is magnificent. However, it does make sweeping changes, so if you don't like that sort of thing, ignore this.
Thank You!
I will try it. I'm definitivelly actually for changes in the game. It looks very promising but the controls are awkard, same pays for other elements.

If it's like Lords of Magic SE + Mantera's mod it will be great! :D
"We made it!"

Coconut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Coconut » 01 Feb 2011, 21:06

Have you actually gone for Age of Wonders, Shadow Magiv, Pol? Certainly download the Upatch 1.4 (Unofficial patch 1.4) if you have.
In many respects Age of Wonders has better or more interesting game mechanics than Heroes III, the main drawback of the game is a poor AI. The game is supposed to be better in online play, but some custom make maps are great in SP as well.
And I'm a bit late to answer your question, but my recommendation for strategy game would have been Eschalon;
http://basiliskgames.com/

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Feb 2011, 22:30

Yes I did. And I will check your recommendation. Thank you! ;)
"We made it!"

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”