2.7 million sales are bad enough for a reboot now...

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

2.7 million sales are bad enough for a reboot now...

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Sep 2010, 19:30

Seriously: http://play.tm/news/31931/capcom-dmc4-s ... om-reboot/

I hear God of War 3 didn't sell 5 mil... gaming companies are getting crazy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 27 Sep 2010, 20:34

"When we say rebirth, part of our goal is to go back to the roots, dig deeper, and try to expand upon those ideas to make the series accessible to a wider audience"

So they're going to find out what the core of Devil May Cry is and then expand on that core to appeal to the widest audience possible.....Ok.

Doesn't sound bad, but I fear that its just flowery talk that really means: "We're gonna make the new Devil May Cry appeal to the widest audience possible so we can sell as many copies as possible."

ThunderTitan would probably interpret it like: "....We're gonna simplify the game so much that even retards will be able to finish it."

Long time long see TT :) Nice to see that you're still your negative self :D
You'll never change :devil:
Last edited by Campaigner on 28 Sep 2010, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Sep 2010, 22:26

I'm not sure I know what you're getting at ...

A game producer was not happy with the amount of copes they sold of a game, and so they decided to change direction and make the next game different, so that the next game will sell more ...

Where's the surprise?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Sep 2010, 06:52

Doesn't anyone actually bother to read the links?! The article is about Devil May Cry...

And the devs are retarded if they think they can sell more then GoW3 did by simply making the main character more emo...

2.7 million is plenty, rebooting the series like it's a failure makes me want to punch them in the face...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 28 Sep 2010, 14:17

I agree, 2.7 million copies is indeed a lot. I guess it just doesn't "cut" it anymore. :disagree:

And if there is any problem with the series, it's not the sales, it's the chronology. Seriously, I think they really effed up with the chronology of the series. Just look at the order:

Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 1
Devil May Cry 4
Devil May Cry 2

Even though I think this is bad, it's still not a reason to call the series a total failure, especially one that would result in a "reboot".
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 28 Sep 2010, 15:34

Let's say the game retailed for $50 and assume for the sake of argument that the developer received all of it. If it cost them more than $135 million to make the game, then any sane company is going to re-evaluate how they're doing business. They should be "punched in the face" if they don't do that.

My point is: look at the bottom line before you say that 2.7 million sales is a lot.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 28 Sep 2010, 15:49

Never played those games, but those numbers are insane.
And 135 mil. to create a computer game? If this number is
true, something gone really wrong at our world...
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 28 Sep 2010, 16:59

Kristo wrote:My point is: look at the bottom line before you say that 2.7 million sales is a lot.
What you say is very true, but it mostly applies to mainstream (Hollywood) movies which indeed have budgets in tens or hundreds of million dollars. I'm not saying that a video game can't and/or won't have such a high budget, but outside of a very limited number of titles, it's not very common that a video game budget would exceed, let's say, $50 million. And most companies that do exceed $50 million include a ridiculous amount of marketing and advertising in their budget.

Halo 3, for instance, had a budget around $30 million, but with all those advertisements and marketing campaigns it cost approx. $60 million. The game made more than $150 million (which is very impressive, by the way).

Doing a Google search I found out that DMC4 was projected to sell 1.8 million copies world wide. It sold 2.7 million in the end, so I think it's safe to say it was profitable enough (ok, maybe just not enough to make the sequel of their dreams ;) )
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Sep 2010, 07:24

Kristo wrote:If it cost them more than $135 million to make the game, then any sane company is going to re-evaluate how they're doing business. They should be "punched in the face" if they don't do that.

My point is: look at the bottom line before you say that 2.7 million sales is a lot.
If you're making a product in a market where even the most successful competitor has only sold around X units and you actually put enough money into development so you don't break even unless you reach X-1 sales then you deserve to be punched in the face from the get-go...

I mean 1 mil is platinum status...

Of course they might have done like MW2, which was 50$mil to make and had 200$mil used for advertising... but if they spent all that money on advertising and it didn't get enough sales what they should be looking at changing is the figure that's 4 times the cost of actually making the product.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 01 Oct 2010, 16:49

wasnt there another game company that said "if we dont sell for 4 millions we drop the franschise"?

talk about blackmailing the consumers.

but then again most of them consumers are sheep.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 18:10

I guess just being successful isn't enough nowadays...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”