Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 08 Aug 2007, 02:16

Oblivion is just as repetitive as Morrowind.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Aug 2007, 02:26

But I'm itching for a new, modern RPG.....
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 08 Aug 2007, 03:19

Me too...:(

But Omega is right...Oblivion is deathly repetitive.

It deserves one good playthrough, IMO...
(in other words...no replay value. :))
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Aug 2007, 03:25

Corribus wrote: @Phoenix
What RPG would you suggest in its place?
What have you played?

I like the original Knights of the Old Republic, not so crazy about 2.

My favorite rpg is wizardry 8 but that takes a serious chunk of time (took my 3 months on my first playthrough). The original Fallout is good, it's what spoiled Oblivion for me since I played it right before playing Oblivion.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Aug 2007, 06:55

Corribus wrote:@GOW -
Thanks for the tip. I'm in no immediate hurry (well, has to be before end of sept. as that's when my coupon expires) and I haven't completely decided that's what I want. Unfortunately, with the exception of software titles, 50 dollars doesn't go far on Dell's website. Any more substantial sources for that information?
The official site
says The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition will be released in Sept.

Gamespy says Sept 3.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Aug 2007, 07:04

PhoenixReborn wrote:...though I will get Fallout 3. Looks fantastic.
I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 also. I am however disapointed that they chose to go with a first person perspective and more of a real time combat system. That game is still a year away.

Bioshock is coming out this month but it is RPG-Action hybrid rather than a die hard rpg game.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 08 Aug 2007, 09:23

PhoenixReborn wrote: I'm actually pretty fond of Bethsoft, ever since I played Elder Scrolls: Arena, I've been enchanted with their worlds.

But Oblivion was far from game of they year (for me homm v), but surely there are other rpg's to choose from. It was an average game with many flaws that kept me fascinated for three months. (Kudos for being bug-free though).
Average game that kept you fascinated for THREE months? Even good games don't usually keep me fascinated that long.

Didn't Knights of the Nine only contained stuff that you could download for free?
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Aug 2007, 10:41

I did not get Knights of the Nine because I already had the pay to download mods that I was interested in. But as I understand it, it had all of the official pay to download mods and added another faction with quests.

For me the game is very replayable. You can create all kinds of characters and there are a lot of player made mods. I haven't played it in a while, but I'll probably play it off and on for a long time to come.

GOW

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Aug 2007, 13:23

Humakt wrote: Average game that kept you fascinated for THREE months? Even good games don't usually keep me fascinated that long.
Well you have to look at the genre here. Wizardry 8 took me three months to beat my first time and I played it heavily for about a year. I've been working on Worlds of Xeen since June and I still have a ways to go.

So yes, 3 months is good play time even for an rpg, but the unusual part is that I have little desire to return to the game. But again, that's just my personal preference, I can see where someone would be hooked on the game.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Aug 2007, 14:56

PhoenixReborn wrote:What have you played?

Most of them. :)

I want something modern. Frankly, I want something with some eye candy. I've played most of the old ones you suggested. Yes they are fabulous. But I have this new computer and I want something a little more glitzy to be honest.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 08 Aug 2007, 15:41

Corribus wrote: I want something modern. Frankly, I want something with some eye candy. I've played most of the old ones you suggested. Yes they are fabulous. But I have this new computer and I want something a little more glitzy to be honest.
I got new computer as well. I have to say Oblivion is quite an eyecandy though it's no match for my graphics card (8800 GTS).
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Oct 2008, 13:48

*bump*

Well, I'm playing Oblivion right now, and though I like it a lot, I feel there are some major problems with the gameplay. For one thing, I don't like the way *everything* levels with you.

Actually right now I'm about level 12 and I'm just getting my butt kicked everywhere. I barely make it through a lot of fights. I think it's because my equipment hasn't advanced along with my level.

Anyway, what I want to know is: are there any recommended mods out there that I should apply to help with some gameplay issues?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 09 Oct 2008, 14:33

Corribus wrote: Well, I'm playing Oblivion right now, and though I like it a lot, I feel there are some major problems with the gameplay. For one thing, I don't like the way *everything* levels with you.
You and everyone but Bethesda.

When I played a while ago, there were good mods that removed the co-leveling function, making it a proper game. As it is now, if you make your fighting skills not part of your leveling skills, you can stay level 1 and ravage through most of the game. On the other hand, if you choose the "wrong" skills for your leveling skills, the monsters may be stronger while you are good at speechcraft and alchemy and the like. VERY poor design, through and through.

Anyway, there are good mods, can't give you a definite link, but searching should be worthwhile. I used Oskuros' Oblivion Overhaul (OOO), but I'm not sure if it's still alive.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Oct 2008, 13:22

Well, I downloaded a whole bunch of them. I thought about starting the game over but that seems like too much repeat work to me. Hopefully installing the mods won't screw anything up!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Oct 2008, 13:24

You know everything leveling with you ain't a bad idea, but they should do it more like in Disciples, where every monster will only level up a certain % of it's attributes when it doesn't turn into something else... so a lvl 1 monster from the final destination is more powerful then one from the beginning etc.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 16 Oct 2008, 01:03

Corribus wrote: Actually right now I'm about level 12 and I'm just getting my butt kicked everywhere.
The same thing here too, damnit! :disagree:
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 16 Oct 2008, 04:34

The monsters level up with you but the loot does too. It has been a while since I've played but look for caves that house humans since they'll drop weapons and armor you can use. And if you wander the roads at night sometimes you run into bandits who may have stuff you can use.

I played through as a mage and as a thief.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 16 Oct 2008, 11:12

Almost everywhere I go, I meet Will O'Wisps. Those things are very annoying , and sometimes there two of them. It's really frustrating.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Oct 2008, 11:22

Yeah, those things are very strong and very annoying. I have some problems with the leveling as well, it is frustrating. When playing an rpg, I want to rule over all, go back and kill something that once kicked you hard...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Oct 2008, 13:49

Veldrynus wrote:Almost everywhere I go, I meet Will O'Wisps. Those things are very annoying , and sometimes there two of them. It's really frustrating.
Agreed; I hate those things. They kill me in like 10 seconds flat.

But, I installed some of the mods and it seems a bit more manageable now. Plus I found some better equipment. I'm about level 16 now and things are a hair easier. At least, I'm not dying every 3 seconds.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”