Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Mar 2006, 22:16

Should hit the stores March 20!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

I've enjoyed the previous elder scrolls games and am looking forward to this one. For those unfamiliar with the series, it is an open ended single character rpg set in a huge world. Your character can be any one of a number of races and classes, even a custom class. You level up by advanceing your skills rather than with experience. You advance your skills by using them.

For more information check out the above link.

GOW

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 22:28

No way my computer will run this, unfortunately. :(
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Mar 2006, 22:37

No problem for the requirements here, but I hope it won't be the bug nest Morrowind was (and still is). I'm really bored with games that can't run more than 5 minutes without crashing and need months and hundreds of megabytes of patching in order to crash only once an hour...
Image Spiritu Insanum

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Mar 2006, 22:41

Wildbear wrote:No problem for the requirements here, but I hope it won't be the bug nest Morrowind was (and still is). I'm really bored with games that can't run more than 5 minutes without crashing and need months and hundreds of megabytes of patching in order to crash only once an hour...
I wouldn't count on the first version being bug-free. Every version of the Elder Scrolls (most notably, Daggerfall) has been horribly bugged to the point of unplayable during the first few go-arounds. Expect a title like Oblivion, which has a large "get it released" factor surrounding it, to be no different.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 10 Mar 2006, 22:50

I don't really expect it to be bug free. I only hope the major bugs have already been fixed. :bugsquash:
If it doesn't crash my computer, it's ok.

I don't know whether it's positive or not but unlike HoMM5's homepage, Oblivion's homepage has no "update" section yet :|
Image Spiritu Insanum

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2006, 23:45

I'm a big fan of Morrowind, and I'm definatly counting off the days of oblivion. I bought a new rig mostly because I was anticipating this title and wanted to play it in all it's glory :devious:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Mar 2006, 01:54

Speaking of new games, has anyone tried this one: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/gal ... index.html

Looks like it could be cool...

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 11 Mar 2006, 12:30

I have been wondering about Galactic Civilizations myself. It looks a lot like Master of Orion2/3. I wonder if there's enough difference between it and the MOO series to make it worth buying.

GOW

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 11 Mar 2006, 17:21

Only heard good things about GCII... have been searching for it for a longe time :disagree:

And Oblivion is among the top in my wish list.

Gothic III
Heroes V
Oblivion

Those I'm most eager to get are just no where to be found... MMT :D and GC II :devious:
Last edited by Justice on 12 Mar 2006, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Mar 2006, 17:33

I know Morrowind was made for Xbox. Was there a PSII version made, by any chance?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 Mar 2006, 20:03

I like the ES series but its no way my PC gonna run that game, just look at those graphics! 8|
The game require alot of excellent hardware to ruin optimaly. :S

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 12 Mar 2006, 12:36

Orfinn wrote:I like the ES series but its no way my PC gonna run that game, just look at those graphics! 8|
The game require alot of excellent hardware to ruin optimaly. :S
I thought the same... this page: http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest however says I'll manage it just a small bit under reccomended... hope it's true...

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 Mar 2006, 11:47

There's an "out of the box" review of oblivion just posted at gamespy which gives it the rating "promising". I hope the game is good, it's been forever since I played a good (new) CRPG :).

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Mar 2006, 16:10

Psychobabble wrote:There's an "out of the box" review of oblivion just posted at gamespy which gives it the rating "promising". I hope the game is good, it's been forever since I played a good (new) CRPG :).
IMHO Oblivion is the best CRPG to come out in a long time.

If you liked Morrowind I think you'll like Oblivion. The skill based level advancement instead of experience based advancement is still there. Only advancing the skills you chose as class skills (major skills) will count towards leveling you up.

Oblivion lets you play anything from a saintly character to an evil homicidal maniac. Your actions and how you relate to the different factions determine how your character is viewed by each NPC.

The Oblivion world is pretty big, with plenty of exploration opportunities between the towns and you are free to go anywheres. All the NPCs speak audibly and there is an option for subtitles as well. The NPCs have daily routines that help give the illusion of them being alive. The landscape looks very nice.

I decided my first time through I would play as a pure mage instead of a custom class. I chose High Elf as my race (there are 10 different races) and am having lots of fun.

Rather than following the main quest first I am currently doing quests for the different mage guild halls. Eventually I will gain access to the Arcane University where I'll be able to design custom spells and enchant items.

Like Morrowind, Oblivion comes with a construction kit, so you can expect lots of fan made content like new races, spells, locations, and quests in the future too.

GOW

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Mar 2006, 21:44

So is it worth the $50?

And what about resource requirements? I can play Civ IV on lowres but that's about as far as I can go.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 27 Mar 2006, 22:05

I think it is worth it for rpg fans. It is a true rpg, not a shooter.

As for what the lowest requirements are that you can get by with I can't say. Here is a link to the official site:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

If you post your computer specs there someone with similar specs can tell you what kind of performance they are getting.

GOW

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Mar 2006, 08:14

I keep forgetting... Is this one where you move the mouse back and forth to operate your sword? Or where you catch demons and bind them into your magic items? Or where you get weapons made of various metals (seems like I had something made of obsidian that was always breaking)? And (pardon me for this) is there a Loincloth of Noxious Vapors?

I've played so darn many RPGs that they start to run together.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 28 Mar 2006, 08:42

You should wait for the demo, all the possible major flaws probably won't be fixed until it's released anyway.
I was really waiting for the game but after reading the official forums and many posts about gameplay issues I came to the conclusion I'll wait a bit more and try it before making a decision.

I don't want to experience anything like wolves with lockpicks, crashing quests or enemies incrusted in the rocks because of collision issues. :|
Image Spiritu Insanum

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Mar 2006, 10:40

I think I'll be getting this, but as Wildbear I'm holding of a while. Want to see a patch or two out first, fixing the bugs that are no doubt there, and I need to make sure I can actually run it. Not to mention have time playing it :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 28 Mar 2006, 12:42

Caradoc wrote:I keep forgetting... Is this one where you move the mouse back and forth to operate your sword? Or where you catch demons and bind them into your magic items? Or where you get weapons made of various metals (seems like I had something made of obsidian that was always breaking)? And (pardon me for this) is there a Loincloth of Noxious Vapors?

I've played so darn many RPGs that they start to run together.
Well, I don't recall ever seein a Loincloth of Noxious Vapors, but you do have to move your mouse to swing a weapon, and there are various metals for weapons and you can capture the soul of an enemy in a soulstone (if you know the appropriate spell) and use it to enchant an item.

It is a first person real time single character rpg. You choose your race, gender, birthsign, and pick either a standard class (I chose a standard mage) or design your own class.

GOW

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”