Ultima V: Lazarus

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Ultima V: Lazarus

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Mar 2006, 02:13

Here's something old Ultima players (like Corribus and me) will like. A group of fans has recreated the classic Ultima V using the Dungeon Seige engine. They say they wanted to update and enhance the game without losing its essence. For instance, they have added some Ultima VI character classes and a skill system.

I've only played a couple of hours, but I'm pretty much hooked. The old Ultima magic is there all right. All your favorite characters and locations. The same ethical underpinnings.

The bad news: I've had a couple of crashes requiring restarts.

The good news: The price is right. Download for free at http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com/ultima5/main.asp
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Mar 2006, 03:06

Wow thanks for the info CW. I may have a look! It's been ages since I played U5...
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Mar 2006, 03:17

It's free but you need a copy of Dungeon Siege of course. I downloaded the mod when it was released and I was about to give it a try soon. A patch has been released since. Perhaps it will solve your crash issues.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Mar 2006, 04:25

Angelspit wrote:It's free but you need a copy of Dungeon Siege of course.
Well, that could be a problem. :|
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 09 Mar 2006, 14:01

Angelspit wrote:It's free but you need a copy of Dungeon Siege of course.
Crapulence.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Mar 2006, 14:20

You can get a used copy of Dungeon Siege for about 6 or 7 dollars on eBay, shipping included. Even if you only use it to play Lazarus, it's a fairly good deal.

I try the mod last night and the music is very moving and beautiful. I found myself humming some of the songs while going to bed. The graphics look a little dated by now (the game itself is four years old), but they should not bother you. Now I know what I'll be doing this week-end. :D

Thank you Charles for reminding me that I needed to play that game.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Mar 2006, 14:56

Does the story differ significantly from the original?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Mar 2006, 22:51

I have not got much story so far. Just Lord British is gone and Blackthorn is, uh, rather strict.

I thought Dungeon Seige was pretty bad. This almost makes it worth the money.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 14:46

*bump*
Have you guys gotten further into this mod yet? How does it hold up? If your impression is still favorable, I may go out and acquire the source game.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Apr 2006, 15:33

I gave up on it and moved on to Deus Ex: Invisible War. The lack of a journal in Lazarus made things a little confusing. I will never get myself used to taking notes on a notepad again.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 23 Apr 2006, 22:02

I gave up on it and moved on to Deus Ex: Invisible War. The lack of a journal in Lazarus made things a little confusing. I will never get myself used to taking notes on a notepad again.
bah, thats the fun part of being a RPG'er :P ya should see my stacks of handrawn dungeon maps and notes from Bards Tale 1-2 :hoo:
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”