Good Day on WoW

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Good Day on WoW

Unread postby ScarlettP » 04 Jun 2010, 10:52

Ok. I just gotta brag somewhere that someone will know what the heck I'm talking about!

You can look up Achievements for Polyurathain, 6/3 up on WowArmory... but I'll hit the highlights. :D

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... lyurathain

I want my shammy to be able to make the Fish Feast, but my cooking was just over 400 and you have to have 425 to learn the recipe. And you need fish to grind the cooking. My fishing was about 170. Obviously, I ever bothered with it much. Ok. So I'm sitting in the queue for a random to get my daily frosties and fishing.

I get the "Enter Dungeon" thing, click it, fall right into the middle of a fight in progress near the end of Pit of Saron. (It's one of the new ones, so you may not be familiar with it.) I've got a frelling FISHING POLE in my hand and no shield. Luckily, my son had just set up the One Click armor change thing for me, so I got my stuff fixed, but no time to get Flame Tongue or Water Shield up... just drop totems and start blasting and running. The group was horrid. I don't doubt that a DPS left them high and dry in the middle of that fight. But I got my Frosties and the *500 Dungeon & Raid Emblems*. So I went back to fishing and waiting in queue a happy camper.

The next Pug group gets me the *Heroic: Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom* achieve because they didn't skip the "mushroom guy". Apparently all the other groups that I've run that with, skipped him and he counted. That gave me the *Northrend Dungeon Hero*.

Back to fishing. Got *500 Fish* and my skill up to 200. Went back to Dal to train. Got *Artisan Fisherman* - the one that I worked for. Went over to the cooking area and started grinding that skill on all those fish. Got *Chef de Partie* for buying the recipes.

Oh? The sixth one you say? Did I skip that? While I was out fishing, and still with my skill at only 184, I fished up a Sea Turtle mount for the *Turtles All the Way Down*. Who da bee-otch now?

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 04 Jun 2010, 11:13

So let me get this straight. You're playing a game where you get be a hero who saves a fantasy world from its enemies, slaying baddies left and right ... and you're bragging because you learned how to fish and cook?!?!? :| Those folks at Blizzard are even smarter than I thought.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2010, 11:35

Smart enough to put crack in the water.... because otherwise i have no idea how people don't get bored with MMO's in a week...

Oh wait: http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5- ... icted.html
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 04 Jun 2010, 12:19

Kristo wrote:So let me get this straight. You're playing a game where you get be a hero who saves a fantasy world from its enemies, slaying baddies left and right ... and you're bragging because you learned how to fish and cook?!?!? :| Those folks at Blizzard are even smarter than I thought.
You dont save anything in those games, you play endlessly and pointlessly just killing and doing quests or tasks or "raids" all can do.

for many such games are ways of life. Some way to release the stress reality causes in their lives.

I see pointless to play such games without an end where all ppl around you wear godly equipment and godly stats on wich most use to presume of them. That means it has nothing of special because of inflation.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 04 Jun 2010, 12:56

Hmmm..you all forget something here. Is MULTIPLAYER gaming, so
scenario,world,atmosphere etc are never so strong. Those kind of
game are based on co-operation with friends etc. , is more like an
e-sport, if you know what I mean. I prefer single player games me
too btw, but don't make it sound like it's something total pointless,
has it's own gaming "magic" ;)

Oh, btw, who really cares about fishing/cooking at this game,
raiding is the good part (or was ) :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 04 Jun 2010, 17:50

Fishing/cooking were some of the useless features you do while there is nothing worth doing or you wait for an expansion pack, avoiding unsuscribing by boredom, i have heard. Seriously, more than one should ask themselves if they really have entered WOW to improve their skills at fishing, or to grind while waiting for the next fun to come. You should go fishing in real life, for example. It´s richer.

Hey!, i love cooking in real life!.:ashamed: Very rewarding to enjoy your own nicely done dishes.

This MMOs are really creepy things. :| ; the huge investment of your precious lifetime they do require, to "progress", level up, get equipment.... is just astonishing. Many use that to fill voids in their life.

Everyone have voids to be filled, i know, i do play games to fill voids from time to time, but... well, not this kind of games without a real point worth considering and in wich you do see how greedy the human being is face by face. Wathever.

I have read a lot about them because it got my attention how the hell they could be a so deep social phenomenom worldwide . It´s such an interesting social engineering thing to be researched... :devil:

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 04 Jun 2010, 19:15

I've spend a lot of time playing mmo at past, and believe me the
whole procedure of forming a team with friends and co-operate
to face some really well designed gaming challenges was not pointless,
as a gaming experience of-course. Is not fair judge such games so
easy, computer gaming in the end has the purpose to entertain you,
yes single player games based on scenario, artwork, atmosphere etc
and I really enjoy them, but multiplayer gaming is focused at different
aspects. As for the social phenomenon you described is linked with the
times we live worldwide. It's not the games(mmo or not) the problem,
is the education, the capability of real communication of young people
and ofc the economical system we have...is really a long and deep
conversation tbh :P Although, I agree totally that those fishing / cooking
thingies are totally useless and misleading, but mmo-gaming is not
something so terrible, in the end is how you use it ;-)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 04 Jun 2010, 19:22

I don´t like to team with people to raid, so i dont like MMORPGs. So it´s pointless for me.

Im misanthropic in regard to online games.

I was sharing my personal experience. Not here to convince you of anything.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 04 Jun 2010, 22:46

Well said. The point of any game is to entertain the player. MMO's are also a social network.

World of Warcraft is my first and only MMO. I spent over 12 years addicted to Heroes of Might and Magic. It was the only game that I played. When part V came out, it crashed my computer over and over and I never could get it to play. Having played Heroes 2-4 for SO LONG that I had every map memorized and had played as many of the fan made maps from here that I possibly could... (Many are beyond my playing abilities) I switched to other similar games. It didn't take me long to become bored out of my mind and I resorted to playing flash games. Then my friend turned me onto Warcraft, "The game that never ends."

Coming from over a decade of 'Stand Alone, conquer and hold" type games such as Heroes, Civilization and Stronghold, it was very difficult for me to even WALK around the 3-D World of Warcraft. It was even more difficult to adjust to the style of game play... but once I had the basics down, I was hooked.

The appeal of this particular game is that it does allow for many, many different WAYS to play the game. You can stand as a solo player and never speak to any one else. You can join a social type guild and chat up a storm or a hard core gamer group that only teams up for coordinated group attacks. Everyone in the game can Cook, Fish and do First Aide. These are useful to 'Buff' (increase your charactor's powers) or to heal yourself. Then you may choose your 'professions' to gather herbs, skins, or ore and then craft those materials via Alchemy, Leatherworking, Jewelcrafting, Engineering or Blacksmithing. If you don't WANT to craft or gather or cook, you don't have to. You can choose to fight only against the NPC's or against other human players. You can quest or run dungeons. You may choose to work only with the people you know or "Pug" - Pick Up Group - and do things with strangers.

The appeal of the modern MMO is that you have a huge variety in the game play. Each individual person may choose to play in the way that best suits their personality and skills.

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 04 Jun 2010, 23:08

so you have described a virtual sandbox very well. But not only that, a diversion a la "second life" under the condition of a fantasy world as it´s set & setting.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 05 Jun 2010, 18:38

In a nut shell, yes.

Honestly, I only started this thread to brag about my incredible good luck, hoping there would be someone here who also played and would understand. If you don't play the game, my original post will have no meaning.

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 05 Jun 2010, 19:37

ScarlettP wrote:
Honestly, I only started this thread hoping there would be someone here who also played and would understand.
you should be more specific about your intentions.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Jun 2010, 08:47

I play and understand and am like ZOMG great luck :D :D
I don't remember any particular situation where I had similar luck, but the feeling I had from reading the OP was familiar :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 10 Jun 2010, 10:37

Hurray! That's ONE!

Just FYI - for LuckDragon as the only other WowHead in the group - I just got my World Explorer achievement. Being a Hordie who always gets lost, I had a really hard time getting all the Alliance Territory done. They have this really nasty tendency to put locked gates on tunnels and bridges so nice cows like me can't get through by just following the roads! Very unfriendly of them.

Anyway, two days ago, I'm running around, minding my own business and mostly just running away from town guards and low level creatures when I get hit. I just keep riding on trying to out run the NPC. It's a player. He's a DK and he pulls me back. I still tried to run but now I've been dismounted and I'm taking damage. I don't DO PvP! I don't have any PvP gear! It's all straight DPS and I have spent a great deal of time dead after being ganked by mean spirited Allies who like to jump me when I'm fishing or questing in Wintergrasp where everyone is flagged.

I'm not in a good mood. I hurt all over from going to the gym. I'm nauseated from a fluoride treatment at the dentist. I have a headache. But I am NOT going to go down without a fight. This guy pissed me off. I was just going to run by, but he yanked me off my horse. I turned around. Flame Shock. Lava Burst. Dead DK! Woot! Someone didn't check my gear score before picking a fight. *giggle*

That was the very first time I ever WON a one on one PvP fight! If I had only remembered to /hug his corpse I could have had my "Make Love not Warcraft" achieve.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 10 Jun 2010, 10:58

Yeah, WExp sucks for Horde. You gotta get into Teldrassil, which is difficult, muhahaha! Then there's the space goats who conveniently landed on a far away island :P

For me it was pretty easy to access all the Horde bases. Silvermoon and Eversong in general were just a bit tricky but not too much.

What's your gs? Dunno about elemental shammies, I just made a resto one (cow) and am leveling him these days. Can't wait to get to 15 and do dungeons.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 10 Jun 2010, 18:11

ScarlettP wrote: I'm nauseated from a fluoride treatment at the dentist. I have a headache. But I am NOT going to go down without a fight. This guy pissed me off. I was just going to run by, but he yanked me off my horse. I turned around. Flame Shock. Lava Burst. Dead DK! Woot! Someone didn't check my gear score before picking a fight. *giggle*

That was the very first time I ever WON a one on one PvP fight! If I had only remembered to /hug his corpse I could have had my "Make Love not Warcraft" achieve.
Hah, not THAT's something I can applaud, beating a real human and not just a RNG ;)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Jun 2010, 23:19

Ok guys... this is an intervention... we're your friends and it pains us to see you wasting away doing WoW lines off dirty keyboards... so we're not going to let you leave this thread until you heard what we have to say...

Who wants to go first?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 12 Jun 2010, 01:22

ThunderTitan wrote:Ok guys... this is an intervention... we're your friends and it pains us to see you wasting away doing WoW lines off dirty keyboards... so we're not going to let you leave this thread until you heard what we have to say...

Who wants to go first?!
hey man you can at least leave them to make their own WOW part threads.... lol, that would make sense

THEY should be smart enough to make appropiate WOW threads under this Heroes environment.

If you don´t know, don´t worry, ask me for advice, :P

BTW, what are you going to say?, are you drunk enough?.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jun 2010, 01:30

Get out of here, pusher-man... stop enabling them.

And if you can write you're not drunk enough...

Ojcar
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ojcar » 12 Jun 2010, 04:21

hahahah.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”