Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Pokemon

Unread postby Banedon » 15 Jan 2010, 10:08

You read that right!

Wondering if anyone who reads this forum also plays Pokemon seriously. By "seriously", I mean if you can understand posts like this one: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65953

I play(ed) the game largely blind - I went in after having done a bunch of reading, but didn't have a teacher. The game has myriad variations with several hundred Pokemon right now. Not all are viable, but even for those who are you still have to choose the movesets you want to use, the EVs you want to give them and how to mold six Pokemon into a coherent team. It's such that you can read a lot but still can't master the game - all your opponents have different teams, you have different teams as well and there are simply too many variations. There're still a lot of things I don't understand; it's such that the last time I made it quite high up the ladder was because I had a bunch of random Pokemon that just happened to work quite well together.

Overall the game's quite ... distracting ... since it's simple enough that you can do put together your next team (one step at a time anyway) while away from the computer. It's also the reason why I have the (ed) there - I might quit the game because I've found I spend so much time preparing and reading and stuff until I can barely think of anything else :(

I don't expect there to be many serious Pokemon gamers around, but then it is largely a mathematical game (with some psychological elements). It's also free - at least the server I play on is - so maybe some people might be interested.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Jan 2010, 13:09

You got balls by posting this man :P. Seriously, I played like 2 games, Yellow, and antherone. Played Yellow all through, not the other one. Problem formeis that there is barely a challenge after a few hours of playing. All you need is 1 pokémon and onlyuse that one. You gain more and moreXP, and your creature is god, whiping out everybody who oppose you! For me that is a flawed gamedesign. It wasn'ta bad game, otherwise I didn't finish it. I like the dungeon like area's...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 15 Jan 2010, 14:24

Lol yeah, Pokemon sure is stereotyped - there's even an article from that same website on how to play Pokemon but not get caught and get all the negative publicity heaped on you: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue6/getting_caught

But I think the association is unfounded. Sure, playing against the computer will result in what you described (I remember one game where I used a level 36 Charizard to conquer Misty's Water gym, relying on sheer force of superior levels to win). But it's against other players on a level playing field that it gets exciting: like this. Unfortunately you need to understand quite a bit of Pokemon before you can understand how exciting it can get :D

I haven't played any of the Pokemon games after Sapphire / Ruby (I think), so there're plenty of Pokemon I've not seen before in-game. They're good games, I think IGN gave Red/Green/Blue 10/10, but it can get somewhat tiring seeing your vastly higher level Pokemon thrash everyone. That's why I play player vs. player.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Jan 2010, 23:30

Can´t say I ever played against a human opponent, so maye it´s better in that area. I just played singleplayer...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 16 Jan 2010, 04:36

I do I love pokemon although I havent played against people in any serious fashion in years. But yes facing down people is 1 of the 2 best parts of the game the other is thinking up the team which is m favorite part. About that link why would anyone use a venusaur or a milotic as sweepers.
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 25 Jun 2010, 23:09

...Anyone here looking forward to Black and White?

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 26 Jun 2010, 02:59

Yes I am it will be great.
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”