Neverwinter Nights

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Neverwinter Nights

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Aug 2009, 15:42

I installed it completely yesterday, so with both Shadows of Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdak expansions. Started out with a rogue, and I think I'm going to make it an Assasin, for better damage and avoiding attacks. What do you guys think?
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Aug 2009, 17:47

Awesome I loved playing an Assassin, Sneak/Death attack is extremely useful and a bit OP I'd say if used properly in a party.

And it's nice getting so high AC that you dodge 95% of enemy's attacks... but that happens only at late levels. It's a bit of a pain playing at lower levels, well except if you're not a fighter or someone who can wear a full plate - those give insane bonuses for low levels IMO
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Aug 2009, 18:31

Yeah, got some trouble killing now. Next lvl I will pick weapon finese, it can come in handy with the dual weapoon skill...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Aug 2009, 00:49

Yeah Weapon Finesse is one of the most important skill for a rogue/assassin, especially if you want to make an overpowered one :P Just stack lots and lots of Dex (I mean at higher levels it's impossible at lower -.-), and wear cloth or very light types of armor. You'll get huge AC, huge Attack (Weapon Finesse), huge Reflex saves... and with Evasion that will also save you against many damaging spells.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Aug 2009, 01:32

Yeah, seriously working on that one. The requirements for that I will meet in the next level gain. Hide 8 ranks, and move silently 8 ranks. Question: do you become a Assasin automaticly? What do you need to do?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Aug 2009, 14:23

You will have to choose to level up as assassin the next level after the level where you meet the requirements.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Aug 2009, 14:36

Cool, so after that, you will be an Assasin? :)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Aug 2009, 18:09

Rogue 5 / Assassin 1. That's how it works: you keep your old levels and abilites, but instead of gaining a sixth rogue level, you gain the first assassin level.
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Aug 2009, 18:46

Allright, so it stacks then?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Aug 2009, 19:22

Yup. But there are some issues with the to-hit bonus for medium-progression classes, the way it progresses makes you loose out if you take just 5 levels of rogue. Though you'd have to study the charts to understand :)
- Duke

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 04 Aug 2009, 03:13

And once you get up to assassin keep that going and try to keep a balance of levels between rogue/assassin. I did that with fighter/ blackguard and it worked better than having one higher than the other for some reason.

If you update to 1.69, hopefully you won't have much problems. I got rid of the 1.69 update I had and play just the NWN Diamond Edition which goes up to 1.66. I think there are still a lot of bugs in the 1.69 patch. And the regular 1.66 is fine enough for me. I highly recommend downloading the Blackguard Mods, 3 of them. I found them to be even funner than the original mods that come with the game(s). It's very dark, very evil. The best PC game experience I have ever played with any game. Blackguard rocks!
I'm now playing as a Druid in the higly rated Shadowlords 5 module campaign. I've played a lot of prestige class PC's, but I have never played as a Shapeshifter which is what I'm after. So far, real fun.
And I'm still trying to figure out the toolset. That'll take a while. May make a Rise and Fall of Sandro type of Mod for NWN.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 Aug 2009, 08:24

Ethric wrote:Yup. But there are some issues with the to-hit bonus for medium-progression classes, the way it progresses makes you loose out if you take just 5 levels of rogue. Though you'd have to study the charts to understand :)
Euhm, what charts ;| ?

@Byte: Cool, let's hope we see an NWN version of Sandro :), sounds pretty cool!

Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Holly » 04 Aug 2009, 08:42

I don't know, but nwn is kinda boring to me. It's unrealistic as how can you complete the whole game with just a wizard or fighter. I mean, it's oke, but nothing special.
I prefer icwd, bg or planescape torment.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 04 Aug 2009, 14:25

Holly wrote:It's unrealistic as how can you complete the whole game with just a wizard or fighter.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since many RPGs don't give that kind of freedom to you. On the contrary, most RPGs tend to punish certain character builds, which can be discouraging.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Aug 2009, 16:10

darknessfood wrote: Euhm, what charts ;| ?
And you are playing a D&D-based game 8|
- Duke

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 04 Aug 2009, 16:30

I don't find NWN boring. I focus a lot on the hack n slash modules. Plenty of action there. But for a change of pace I will play the puzzle type mods of the game. A lot of the mods I've downloaded have respawning capabilities and the monsters that reappear are equal to your level.
And much like HoMM, the magical charactors are weak in the beginning, but are the best towards the end.
Here is a small list of the downloadable Mods for NWN I like:

1. Blackguard 1,2 and 3
2. Return to Ravenloft
3. Ravenloft. beyond the Gate
4. The Fate of Daggerdale
5. Everything done by Adam Miller:
a. Shadowlords series
b. Dreamcatcher series
c. Demon/ Demon Cards
6. Runes of Blood
7. An Ancient Heart 1 and 2
8. Tales of Arterra 1 and 2
9. Underdark Adventure
10.Arcanium

All have good original stories and plenty of action and puzzles. I've found most of these Mods are better than the ones that came with the game. And the ones that came with the game are excellent! Download and enjoy.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 05 Aug 2009, 03:16

You should definitely download the player resource consortium hak paks, they add a lot of new races and classes. Plus they make the game closer to D&D rules.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Aug 2009, 04:51

.....and don't forget the textures that you can drop into your override folder. I now have colored Spell, Feats, Prestige, and Specialty Icons in colored form rather than the dreary green ones thanks to The Amethyst Dragon. I also have override files for the Forest Floor, Castle reskins, New tree textures, New grass textures (Ahh the Hill cliffs look more real now. Rocky instead of dirt.), and city reskins giving my game a much more pleasant experience to play. The override folder allows you to easily change the appearance of the game immediately rather than taking textures out and redoing them or write scripts for them. This is good to have if you get tired of looking at the same ol' same ol'.

And, yes, most of the Mods I listed need hakpaks to play them. If you don't get them, the Mods won't play. But the readme files tell you where to get them if the haks are not included with the download.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 05 Aug 2009, 14:02

You're playing NWN instead of NWN2? 8|

I played through NWN with a Sorcerer, but I had insufficient idea of how Sorcerers worked ... if I could go back I'd have gone 39 Sorc / 1 Paladin maybe, or even flat out max Sorcerer. Kind of a pity there's no Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep in NWN. Still, given the levels you can reach and how powerful weapons can deal a couple of hundred damage a round, arcane spellcasting might not be too smart. I was thinking of making a dedicated "save or die" arcane caster in NWN2, but eventually decided against it. I could shoot for 44 DC Wail of the Banshees, 48 with Safiya's blessings, but then I'd be a straight-out glass cannon with little to no defense, and weapons can still outlast me.

I used to have this manual with some of the best builds ever created for NWN. They're all power builds though and no RP - so if role playing is what you enjoy, don't look there. I don't have the manual now though, although I'd imagine www.nwn.com should have links.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 05 Aug 2009, 23:07

Banedon wrote: You're playing NWN instead of NWN2?

My laptop barely takes NWN as is. 2 is out of the question for now. But it does look good. And NWN is fun enough for me for now. Low budget gamer that I am. :D

This is where I go for NWN stuff:

http://nwvault.ign.com/

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”