Age of Wonders

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Age of Wonders

Unread postby EvilNed » 16 Jul 2009, 01:04

I know I can't be the only person who played this game. Not on a Heroes forum! I remember when it was first released and I played the demo. I think this was right after Heroes 3, which was somewhat of a disappointment to me, atmosphere-wise.

But this game is sooo charming. It's just pure fun to sit down and engage in a game of AoW. The world is classically drawn and the races are many and different. Also, you get a bigger sense of having your own "kingdom" in this game than in the Heroes games. At least for me.

But I never played the sequels. Were they any good?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Jul 2009, 14:50

I played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magi (have it tucked away somewhere). I think it was a standalone expansion to a sequel or something. I found the look of the game too bland, couldn't see what things were on the map, or even if they were things at all. Gameplay was a bit fiddly and bleh as well.

I recall trying it again after the first disappointment at least once, thinking surely it was a good game, can't recall why I put it away... then after a short bit: "Oh yeah, that was why.", and away it went again.

Not the most detailed review, but it's what I recall of it. Perhaps the original is good, and then they messed up the series (that's been known to happen with games ;)).
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 Jul 2009, 02:57

I played the AOW series. Yep AOW 2 :Shadow Magic is a stand alone expansion.

Lots of different spells and creatures. And there are heroes. :) I like having both overland and combat spells and being able to design my own wizard.

My favorite creatureis the leprechaun. I't just so funny watching him dance around laughing and slapping everything to death.

I haven't played it in a while. I'll have to fire it up again when I get the time. There are still maps being made for it.

http://aow2.heavengames.com/
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EvilNed » 17 Jul 2009, 12:07

Got ahold of a copy of Shadow Magic. Don't like it that much compared to the original. Don't know why... The graphics are stranger. More contrasted with dark and stuff, and there's way too much of everything! It's hard to navigate and see sometimes!

The original was clear and simple in it's design, which was also it's charm. A cute little epic fantasy adventure, with all the creatures from mythology that you could imagine. This game is less about mythology and more about just random stuff. Syrons? Tigrons? Shadow demons? It's all too wierd for me. I liked the atmosphere of the original, and it's changed too damn much in this sequel! But apart from the atmosphere, there's basicly nothing new at all. Why play this game? What makes it better, or even different, from the original?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Jul 2009, 00:32

I played Age of Wonders too and still have it in my CD cabinet. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 27 Jul 2009, 21:59

The original AoW is great. I managed to find a copy of again recently, any game like that with hotseat is great =D

I remember buying Homm 4 and thinking "oh... wow, this is just like AoW... but not in a good way". Personally I thought the whole killable heroes thing in Homm 4 was a bit too different from the other Homm games. I did like how you could at least split army stacks apart and send them around the map picking up goodies like in AoW though.

The Demo even was pretty fun.[/url]

EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EvilNed » 09 Aug 2009, 19:30

Yeah. Age of Wonders is at it's best during Hot Seat. And I love to take a break from Heroes sometimes to play AoW instead. It's so similar, but with a completely different atmosphere, heh.

Ettercap
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ettercap » 14 Sep 2009, 23:29

I'd like to get a copy (new) of AoW2 but it's just to expensive. Can't find it on eBay and the games main site says you can buy it, but it's not in their store. :|
On Amazon the game is going for $82.44US. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is $308.99US!. :ill:

Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne Home page
http://www.triumphstudios.com/ageofwond ... lcome.html

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Age-Wonders-II-Wi ... B00005YTYK

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 10 Dec 2009, 06:28

Ettercap wrote:I'd like to get a copy (new) of AoW2 but it's just to expensive. Can't find it on eBay and the games main site says you can buy it, but it's not in their store. :|
On Amazon the game is going for $82.44US. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is $308.99US!. :ill:

Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne Home page
http://www.triumphstudios.com/ageofwond ... lcome.html

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Age-Wonders-II-Wi ... B00005YTYK
That's really too bad it's so expensive now. I remember only 18 months ago you could score a copy for next to nothing!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2009, 20:19

You can still score one for nothing if you want... i can even help! :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Midas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Midas » 13 Dec 2009, 06:33

how do you do that?

I don't even know what AoW looks like, I've heard it a few times, Anyone care to explain to me? :D
All I see is Blackness...
Oh, My hood is down... (Acolyte)

bethrezen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bethrezen » 15 Dec 2009, 13:24

very nice game, 15 factions with different creatures, 6 sphere of magic.

Do you know something about AOW 3?

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 15 Dec 2009, 14:31

Midas wrote: I don't even know what AoW looks like, I've heard it a few times, Anyone care to explain to me? :D
Uhmmm.....what about finding some reviews on the internet or....or... just search for a demo? ;)
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”