No recruitment from opposing town alignments.

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

No recruitment from opposing town alignments.

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 22 Dec 2007, 20:50

Basically I am thinking that your ability to recruit troops in towns that are opposed to your faction alignment is a little silly.

I don't think that you should be able to recruit say undead if you are playing a Life faction, even if you do capture a necromancer town. If this cannot be managed, then you at least shouldn't be able to recruit new ones, the creature growth of the town should be reduced to 0.

Creature dwellings are more complicated beacause I don't think there is likely anything they can do to change the recruitment rate. Probably the best way would be to delete them from the map the moment they are captured by an opposing alignment or something.

They could be replaced by a ruin marker, which would then allow a player of that alignment to rebuild the creature dwelling.

Special treatment could be given to Necromatic Towns. Basically Death players should be able to convert any town into an unupgraded Necropolis.

Anyone should be able to raze a town of an opposing alignment, but it shouldn't be turned into one of their own towns, but would become a ruined town, which can be turned into a town of their type by a player with a vast amount of resources. Ruined towns would also be available in the scenario editor.

Anyone should be able to raze necromatic towns, even those who can potentially raise necromatic troops.

Razing towns gives you a certain amount of gold and resources (from loot) .

Opposing towns do however pay taxes, at 50% of the normal rate. So keeping them as a gold-mine is a profitable option unless you can replace them with one of your own towns.

One ideas I came up with was the possibility of disarming towns, which destroys creature dwellings within the town along with all the creatures in it. In this way one can deny troops to one who may recapture the town.

You should be able to disarm any town, but you only get resources from destroying creature dwellings in opposing towns.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 25 Dec 2007, 18:15

@ Slayer of Cliffracers

I like your idea, I think can be implemented for Heroes III Wog as an optional option, but for Heroes IV I don't know yet.
Last edited by BAD23ro on 26 Dec 2007, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

timagalant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby timagalant » 25 Dec 2007, 19:00

I don't know, maybe make it so you can't recruit them with opposing-allignment heroes. Besides, if your opponent gets back the razed town, what happens to it? Do all the buildings come back? Does he have to build all his creature dwellings from scratch?
This could be too easily abused.

The town could maybe be "under siege". Creature growth will be 0 during a siege, and no creature dwellings (and creatures) could be bought. The existing creatures in the dwellings will still survive though.

Again, we might be trying to change the game too much. This doesn't hurt the game that much, and as flavorful as it is, it might make gameplay worse.

But I do think razing could be a very useful option. You captured a nature town, where the AI build unicorn glades, but you want griffins? Raze the glades*, and you will be able to build griffin cliffs.

* and maybe any buildings that have the razed building as a requirement? Maybe only the ones who HAVE to have it (such as buildings that produce creature growth for the specific creature whose dwelling was razed)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 Dec 2007, 07:11

I don't really agree with these. Except with changin a captured town's dwelling into another one(e.g. a Hydra Pond to a Dragon Cliff). Or changing the whole town slowly into a native one, like in WoG.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

BrennusWhiskey
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby BrennusWhiskey » 26 Dec 2007, 13:01

I have the same opinion like Muszka.

Taodor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Taodor » 26 Dec 2007, 14:46

Yes that would be great if you could change creture dwelings in town into your own for certain fee, also dwelings out of towns.
H4 rules above ALL

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 26 Dec 2007, 16:56

Not being able to recruit opposing creatures would break some maps. The moale penalty already imposes a penalty for using creatures of opposite alignment. That is enough IMHO.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 Dec 2007, 00:13

I agree with GOW, now if you want to make it more expensive then that is a horse of a different color.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 Dec 2007, 04:52

jeff wrote:I agree with GOW, now if you want to make it more expensive then that is a horse of a different color.
I agree with Jeff & GoW. If I capture a town, I want to defend it with its own type of creatures. Otherwise my efforts may all be in vain. Of course, like Age of Wonders, changing a town's alignment is fine but it really puts a crimp in managing stuff. Afterall, you sacrificed creatures & Heroes to capture a completely built town, you should get some reward. Leave it as it is. :hoo:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 28 Dec 2007, 08:39

The idea isn't bad after all, is something new. :)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 28 Dec 2007, 10:11

Unanimous opinion of three people with silver bar under their names. Looks awesome :)
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Taodor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Taodor » 28 Dec 2007, 21:01

Dalai wrote:Unanimous opinion of three people with silver bar under their names. Looks awesome :)
Yes indeed!
I forgot alignment penalty, haven't palyed for a long time....
H4 rules above ALL

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Jan 2008, 15:28

Even though my bar lacks a silvery colour, I agree with the people who think this shouldn't be implemented. The morale penalty keeps me from having opposing alignments in the same army. It works fine the way it is now.

Thanquol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thanquol » 04 Feb 2008, 01:09

Script controlled options to block certain players/factions from hiring troops of specific alignments might generate some interesting new strategies/design possibilities.

The same can be said for options to convert captured cities to your own aligment.

But it probably shouldn't be enforced by default on all maps.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 04 Feb 2008, 11:44

I would like a way to switch between hiring different creatures.

Or maybe be able to destroy allied buildings to build others.

For example: be able to destroy level 1 dwellings and build instead all both lvl3 and 4 dwellings.

Can this be made?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 04 Feb 2008, 15:12

okrane wrote:I would like a way to switch between hiring different creatures.

Or maybe be able to destroy allied buildings to build others.

For example: be able to destroy level 1 dwellings and build instead all both lvl3 and 4 dwellings.

Can this be made?
No
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 04 Feb 2008, 22:23

ok.

btw, when are you going to release something? Honestly I forgot how heroes 4 looks like, and I started playing heroes 5.

avt104981
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby avt104981 » 05 Feb 2008, 22:03

okrane wrote:ok.

btw, when are you going to release something? Honestly I forgot how heroes 4 looks like, and I started playing heroes 5.
..or at least, please, give an idea of when all those people who offered their time to help the project should expect any feedback and/or tentative tasks.

Return to “Equilibris”