Equilibris and OS-specific issues

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

Equilibris and OS-specific issues

Unread postby Siegfried » 17 Apr 2007, 13:13

Hi,

i'd like to give Equilibris a try. Problem: I do not have Windows. I'm using Linux/Wine. The original H4 does not run unmodified (complaining about some "debugger" and terminating). To run it under Linux a no-cd patch is required. Unfortunately this patch (replaces the exe-file) exists only for H4 unmodified. There is no no-cd replacement for WoW. As far as i know the WoW executable is needed for Equilibris. I do have that, but it does not run.

So what to do?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Apr 2007, 16:44

Equlibris itself is coming with the patch, so "no cd required" continue.. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

worked

Unread postby Siegfried » 17 Apr 2007, 18:36

Yes, that did it. I just had to do one more thing. I have the german version of H4. The Equilibris mod does not install there (checksum error in exe file). So i downloaded the exe file from the Equilibris download page and installed the mod again. That worked :) Now i have access to the GS and WoW Campaigns, which i did not have before. Thanks again.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 18 Apr 2007, 11:19

It seems, the problem is solved. Good to know :)

Once again - Equilibris works on Linux with Wine flawlessly.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

one more

Unread postby Siegfried » 18 Apr 2007, 12:03

Hi,

there is one more question, although not vital. There are two more files i'd like to get: equi.aop and FaceTool_v1.1.exe, which are both only downloadable from Fileplanet. I don't like to make a registration there. The other (essential) files were downloadable without registration from another link, but these 2 not. And the links mentioned in the "Alternate mirrors" posting seem to be broken (i only get back the string "connection: close"). So is there another url to download them?

Just in case in the future i eventually have the idea to create own maps.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 18 Apr 2007, 17:04

Completely offtopic here.

I'll make alternate links to this server. Not sure when :devious:
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 21 Apr 2007, 22:54

What about Vista? ... my equilibris crashes when I try to run it under Vista, and additionally my computer gets rebooted. Any ideas?

Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

rename?

Unread postby Siegfried » 22 Apr 2007, 06:38

Perhaps anybody capable of doing this could rename the thread? Something like "OS specific problems"? It seems it might be a good idea to have a general thread devoted to operating system specific problems.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Apr 2007, 12:11

@okrane

Wine is an environment to run windows application under unix based systems.

(Currently Vista incompatible :devious: )
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 22 Apr 2007, 12:23

:D

yeah... I googled-it :D
well... since there are not that many applications vista-only right now... i think it's a good solution

Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

wine

Unread postby Siegfried » 22 Apr 2007, 17:33

Equilibris runs quite good on Linux/Wine. For performance you have to do a console login and manually start the X-Server for 16 bit colour mode:

startx -- -depth 16

If not H4 is way too slow, even the music most time hangs. But in 16 bit colour mode no problem. Only the intro stumbles from time to time.

But i encountered a strange problem with map making: I could not alter a placed hero, i.e. i could not place a specific hero.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 28 Apr 2007, 11:26

Is there something I can do to make H4 Equilibris work with Vista?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 29 Apr 2007, 11:55

okrane wrote:Is there something I can do to make H4 Equilibris work with Vista?
Noone in our team has Vista. And I'm not sure that anyone will in the next several months at least. Original game doesn't run on Vista either, so...

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 29 Apr 2007, 12:20

A Vista fix would be practical, because of this new trend that will, imo, overcome the XP users in a while, and Heroes 4 will be history...

Still... I think it's next to impossible to make, without the source codes.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Jul 2007, 15:25

Dalai wrote:
okrane wrote:Is there something I can do to make H4 Equilibris work with Vista?
Noone in our team has Vista. And I'm not sure that anyone will in the next several months at least. Original game doesn't run on Vista either, so...
Unfortunately without a tech forum all of these threads get buried quickly. I posted in the H-IV forum work by DosFreak who is doing a massive OS compatibility check with several OS and game combinations. He was not able to get H-IV to run under Vista, but did under XP-64 bit. He also got it to run under Vista 32 bit overwiting the Vista drivers with the XP 32 bit drivers. He as yet has not tried overwriting the 64 bit Vista drivers with the XP 64 bit drivers, but feels that might work. Unfortunately that will eliminate several Vista features (so probably not practical). Anyway he said the following if you try it:
Be aware that if you do this then you will not be able to use Aero and you'll be using the pre-vista driver model for video (XDDM) instead of Vista's (WDDM). So no fancy 3d desktop and theoretically a greater possibility of crashes.

But hey if it fixes the game then you know it's an issue with Heroes/WDDM/Video card drivers and can report it to the developers of the game/microsoft.
So perhaps if enough of use who have picked up a UBI (not 3DO) copy of H-IV appeal to UBI to look into the matter who knows maybe as a gesture they may try and fix it.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Jul 2007, 16:27

I know and generally that's good news. Hopefully someone will create "Vista drivers compatibility patch" and many of older things will become to be working once again. ;)

PS I guess some of these driver problems should be solved by direct copying of core drivers files from xp.
According to that hint:
"b) Install XP, go to system properties and find out the device driver files the YAMAHA uses (and hardware ID), copy all those files from windows \inf \system32 \system32\drivers locations and store them somewhere, then install Vista and install the driver from system properties by selecting the unknown device which matches the hardware ID and select update driver and point it".

PSS To Anyone I would not recommend to trying it, until you wish to risk you OS system stability. And probably loosing Aero.

PSSS Or vmware or similar with XP/98 installed under.
"We made it!"

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Jul 2007, 14:00

You're right, hopefully another 'geek' and no disrespect intended, will continue to experiment, or perhaps there are enough older programs/software out there that Microsoft addresses the problem and fix it in Service Pak 1. Obviously Heroes IV will not cause it to happen, but hopefully by fixing other programs, Heroes will get fixed accidently.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

iKossu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Windows 7

Unread postby iKossu » 09 Feb 2010, 19:26

I just installed Heroes of Might and Magic IV, The Gathering Storm, Winds of War and Equilibris on Windows 7 Professional x64 and it works! I repeat, HoMaM IV works on Windows 7 x64! I had my money on it won't work but I was wrong. Perhaps they've done something with the need of digitally signatured drivers since that was the problem with Vista x64 and too old Starforce if I recall correctly. I haven't tried it on x86 version of Windows 7, but I've a strong feeling it'll work. After all, HoMaM IV worked on Vista x86.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Feb 2010, 20:24

Yes it does work correctly on Win7 x64, it's a fact. Win7 seems to be a lot more game-compatible than Vista for some reason, too.

iKossu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iKossu » 10 Feb 2010, 07:32

My friend actually found this out in the Internet and I was just making sure it really does work. Needless to say I wanted to make a reunion with it. :-D I ought to find out why this is the case for professional interest. :creative:

Return to “Equilibris”