ResEdit question? Df2 Question?

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Draghorn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

ResEdit question? Df2 Question?

Unread postby Draghorn » 21 Feb 2007, 09:49

I was told this would be a better section for this question, so:

I was looking at the sprites in HOMM4 and I was wondering if there is any way to change the background color it uses. The sprites tends to blend in with the black background.

If that can't be changed is there a df2 viewer that might let me use a different background when viewing/extracting the sprites. (In case you were wondering HOMM4 uses df2 files instead of def files.)

Again sorry if this is the wrong section to ask this question.

Edit: Now that I look at it, resedit isn't a good HOMM or HOMM2 sprite viewer either. I'm I just suppose to extract the files with resedit and then use something else to view them? If that is the case, what should I use for each of the HOMM games? (I think you use defview for HOMM3.)

Lost
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Lost » 22 Feb 2007, 13:33

HoMM4 def2 file doesn't use background, it use 4-bit alpha channel instead.
ResEdit can't extract unblended images with alpha channel, so there's no way you can get original images without hacking ResEdit or writing your own extractor.
Equilibris Leading Programmer

Draghorn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Draghorn » 23 Feb 2007, 03:01

So is there another program that can read df2s (once I extract them of course), or can only ResEdit read them. I was hoping there was something like DefView for df2s, but maybe not.

Also, this may not be the best place for this but... What format are the HOMM and HOMM2 sprites in? (They seem to have weird names.) Is there anything that can read them once extracted?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 23 Feb 2007, 11:27

No, there is no such program.

What is your ultimate goal? Do you want some definite picture, or you want to unpack all the graphics just for the sake of having it unpacked?
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Draghorn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Draghorn » 24 Feb 2007, 08:45

For the df2s I was hoping a program that only read df2s would have more options for viewing them. (Like changing the background color.) Although, I haven't tried Defview on the HOMM3 sprites, so maybe it doesn't give you any more options that ResEdit anyway.

For the HOMM and HOMM2 sprites, the sprites show up a little scrambled when viewed in ResEdit. I thought there might be a better viewer out there, but maybe not.

Sorry for all the annoying questions.

Return to “Equilibris”