Install problems

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Graiskye
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Install problems

Unread postby Graiskye » 26 Nov 2006, 23:01

Allright, I just finished trying to install Equis for the second time. I screwed up the order of install the first time, so I tried it again, I installed HIV, TGS, WoW, then the 3.51 Equis mod, and when I go to run I get this is not a Valid Win32 application. Any ideas, I'm at a loss.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 27 Nov 2006, 10:30

Have you read FAQ?
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Graiskye
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graiskye » 27 Nov 2006, 23:16

Q-09: How do I install Equilibris on Standard Heroes Edition or on Gathering Storm?
A: Well, there is one trick to install Equilibris on Gathering Storm or even on Standard Edition. Try to do the following:
- Rename your "heroes4.exe" to "heroes4old.exe" and make a new shortcut on your Desktop, if you need it.
- Download the "heroes4_sfx.exe" from Downloads section. Extract it to the game directory.
- Download the Mod Installer. Install the mod as if you had Winds of War.
- Then find the folder named "Data" in your Heroes folder. There is "equi.h4r" file. Copy it to the same folder with a new name "x2.h4r".
- Now if you had "The Gathering Storm" try running Equilibris.

For Standard Edition continue with the following steps:

- Create an empty file named "storm.h4r" in "Data" folder of the game.

If your Heroes-IV version is 2.0 or higher - Equilibris should be playable now. If you have not patched the game - make the next step too.

- Download "updates.h4r" file from Downloads section and put it into "Data" folder. Now try running the game.

Attention! We can not guarantee stable and bug free work of the game, modified in this way. We simply did not make the thorough tests. Though other players report no bugs or crashes.

As for maps compatibility. For Equilibris players with TGS - you will be able to open original and TGS maps , AND some of WoW maps! For Equilibris made of Standard Edition - standard maps AND some of WoW and TGS maps will be available. We will appreciate any feedback on that issue.
If thats what you are reffering me too, it does not apply, Im not instyalling on HIVstd., or TGS ?
I was told on the other section of this forum that equis runs with Heroes IV, with whatever expansions you have installed, "doesnt matter".
So to be straight, the mod only works if you have Heroes IV expanded to Winds of War, otherwise you may be out of luck, that makes absolutley no sense.
From my POV the FAQ is a little , no a lot misleading..... heres question six, after reading this several times I determined that I should be able to install without too much trouble...
Q-06: Which versions of the game are compatible with the mod?

A: As for now, all versions are supported. Most likely you will need to download files heroes4.exe and campaign_editor.exe (with these files, everything works perfectly with any translation/version of the game-Russian, English, Pirated :)) from this site, as we can not support all possible language versions and editions of the game. For details look at Q-09 (well, the Answer to Q-09 that is :P)

By the way, if something actually worked (or didn't work) - let us know about it, pointing out the version of your game and the mod. Something like "Installed mod 3.1 on Romanian Heroes - Winds of War. Everything's perfect!" or "Installed mod 3.1 on the original Mongolian Heroes - doesn't work".
So forgive me if I'm just slightly confused. When I went to the site, I did read the FAQ, in fact after reading this passage several times, I thought I'd be good.....
As for now, all versions are supported. Most likely you will need to download files heroes4.exe and campaign_editor.exe (with these files, everything works perfectly with any translation/version of the game-Russian, English, Pirated :)) from this site, as we can not support all possible language versions and editions of the game..

Too be clear Ive downloaded said files several times from differing locations, still no go.

Whoever wrote the FAQ might want to make a few revisions, when people read "As for now, all versions are supported.", they dont go searching for the BUT. If the mod does not work well with certain versions, or there is a certain protocol that MUST be followed that info should be front and center, and like maybe in a README, trying to make things out to be more than what they are is kinda sad.
I have played a lot of games with a lot of mods, and this is the most trouble I have had in a long time, with a mod that is supposed to be 'the' mod, I expected easy install, especially after reading the FAQ and determining that 'it'(the whole renaming folders spiel) doesnt apply to my situation, because Im not installing on HIV,TGS.. Im installing on HIV,TGS,WoW. And from what I can gather by reading the FAQ multiple times, it should work just fine, nowhere in the FAQ does it say anything about installing to a fully expanded game. Several warnings about the standard edition, or TGS, but I am not running Std. or TGS, so to answer your original question, yes I have read the FAQ many times. The more I try to make sense of it, the more confusing it gets.[/b]

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 28 Nov 2006, 14:20

Sorry for confusion. I wrote the FAQ, but I am not a native speaker, so the FAQ was edited by one.

If you install Equilibris on fully expanded game, you should have no problems at all!

May be you have overseen the simple fact that downloaded files (heroes4_sfx.exe and campaign_editor_sfx.exe) are not ready-for-installation executables, but self-extracting archives? You should backup your files, run heroes4_sfx.exe and campaign_editor_sfx.exe and extract them to game folder.

After that step installation should go without any problems.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Aqarius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aqarius » 07 Jan 2007, 18:53

Not to open a new topic, I figured I might as well post here.

I have H4+WoW (no tGS) and I installed Equilibris and Equi.aop and everything worked fine (including the editor). Then, due to a series of unfortunate events beyond my control (aren't they allways...) I had to reinstall the whole system. So, when I reinstalled the vitals, I installed H4, WoW and Equilibris and it worked fine, but the map editor still had just 6 tabs(Lanscape, Adventure, Artifact, Character,WoW and tGS). So, any ideas how to fix/bypass this? I tried reinstalling Equilibris, reinstalling Heroes, adding all the updates etc.

*Edit*-found FaceTool solution on forum. :dumbass:

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 09 Jan 2007, 14:22

Possible reasons:
- You don't have equi.aop in Data folder;
- You launch default campaign editor icon, which starts wow campaign editor, not Equi.

Aqarius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aqarius » 10 Jan 2007, 15:25

Reinstalled everything - failed to start program.
Reinstalled everything again - runs fine...

Return to “Equilibris”