Ideas for next mods

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
ramparter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ramparter » 18 Jan 2006, 21:22

Can you change the fact that neutral stacks' quantity depends on the difficulty setting. I think is one of the worst features of the game.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 18 Jan 2006, 21:49

Why? It makes sense to me. You wouldn't want a pack of bothersome skeletons that flee every time you come accross them. In my opinion, these stacks aren't too powerful, even in the hardest difficulties.

ramparter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ramparter » 19 Jan 2006, 17:58

I think they are and I'm sure they really are very powerfull for that pathetic AI.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Jan 2006, 18:16

ramparter wrote:I think they are and I'm sure they really are very powerfull for that pathetic AI.
You know,there is something there.Could you give the AI some bonus when fighting neutrals?Like +10 on luck.Or reducing the neutral stack.A player can beat these stacks with some efort,but AI has a lot of problems.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 20 Jan 2006, 16:00

DaemianLucifer wrote:
ramparter wrote:I think they are and I'm sure they really are very powerfull for that pathetic AI.
You know,there is something there.Could you give the AI some bonus when fighting neutrals?Like +10 on luck.Or reducing the neutral stack.A player can beat these stacks with some efort,but AI has a lot of problems.
Maybe you could make the AI unaffected by the increase in population of neutral stacks due to difficulty setting. In short, let AI play as if the difficulty setting is "easy".

Trang Oul
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trang Oul » 20 Jan 2006, 18:49

Maybe you could make the computer using Creature Portal.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 21 Jan 2006, 00:30

We all agree the AI has some difficulties with neutrals...
In my opinion, the best solution would be to apply advantages depending on difficulty level. It would be good to apply Luck and Morale bonuses (Adv:+3, Exp:+6, Chmp:+10), but I wonder if the 'battle simulator' takes those into account. If it does, then it sounds like a good solution to me.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 21 Jan 2006, 03:00

Crusard wrote:We all agree the AI has some difficulties with neutrals...
In my opinion, the best solution would be to apply advantages depending on difficulty level. It would be good to apply Luck and Morale bonuses (Adv:+3, Exp:+6, Chmp:+10), but I wonder if the 'battle simulator' takes those into account. If it does, then it sounds like a good solution to me.
I remember reading some time ago that there is a problem with giving 10 to morale in one lump sum. You have to give it in steps.

If on encounter scripts are run when the computer fights neutrals the mapmaker has several other options at his disposal. You could also penalize the morale and luck of neutrals opposing computer heroes.

Also, you could boost the defense and attack rating of the computer heroes in neutral combats to help them survive.

Bonus creatures could be given to the computer during the battle and then taken away after the battle.

Of course, these options are based on either having unique computer heroes or scripting each placed neutral stack. You could also take away creatures from the neutrals.

Edit: Well, I just did a quick test and on encounter scripts are run in computer vs neutrals whether placed on the computer heroe or the neutral stack. I did the test by giving creatures to the computer heroe on encountering a neutral stack and taking them away after the battle. Of course, I couldn't tell if morale/luck bonuses/penalties would be applied.

So the mapmaker can script a random creature stack for each level and copy and paste them if he wants to give the computer player a boost in combat against neutrals.

GOW

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jan 2006, 07:15

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:I remember reading some time ago that there is a problem with giving 10 to morale in one lump sum. You have to give it in steps.
Oh yes,can this and similar bugs be corrected?

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 21 Jan 2006, 15:44

The morale/luck bug has been a lot of trouble to me. I made some tests, and in the same castle I used a decrease morale/luck by 10. If I attack that castle on the first week, the script works fine. But then when I attack that castle about a month after the map started, the computer gets strange morale bonuses instead. It's pretty weird, and it shouldn't be easy to fix, but maybe it's possible.
Now back on the neutral stacks, yes there's unlimited ways for a mapmaker to make computers better against the neutrals, but you're not really cleaning the dust, you would just be hiding it under the carpet. The point of equilibris would be to make a whole nicer carpet :D

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 22 Jan 2006, 13:38

Well today I'll focus on artifacts. It's nothing about combination so I suppose this is a good topic to put it in:

As for old artifacts:

Well, mabye some little improvements and increasing power of some of them, which were overlooked:

Staffs, I know that they weren't strong enough to be major but IMO Saint Ranan's is more better than otheres, and they should be equal in power, so

chaos- +50% efectivness to chaos spells
order- +33% to evectiveness to order spells, order spells cost 33% less
death- +50% efectiveness to death spells, death spells cost 33% less
nature- +25% to efectiveness to nature spells, nature spells cost 33% less
life- +50% to all life spells (not 100% only to healing), +20% resurection

Staff of Power- +33% to efectiveness of all spells, all spells cost 33% less

of course none of spells can cost less than 1

As for relics, we should take into consideration that they are very rare, and have to find some oracles to get them. Additionally Reminding the power of the strongets artifact in ex. H2- Dragon Sword of Dominium +3 Att, and the ultimate Sword +12 the power of relics is awesome, so:

Adamantine shield- +100% to melee&ranged defence of our creatures and +10 m&r defence to our hero
(consider that gryphonheart shield has +40% and normally adamantin only 50%, it's ridiculous)

Scarab of summoning- greate artifact, but could also affect summoning menu (+50-100%)

T-Hammer- +15 to melee attack of the hero instead only 8, cant be worse than treasuer dwarfen hammer :canthear:

Supreme crown of magic- hmm well, it's quite good but for relic could be +75mana and 10-15 regeneration of mana/day

Sword of gods [argh it's a crap for a relic!], i wont argue with anyone who claims that axe of legends is better (easier to find, more attack for the hero)
SoG should have +100% Attack of our creatures and +10 Melee attack for the hero

Bow of the elf king- in Eq is a hardcore bow (additional attack for hero as well), but shoul have +12-15 Ranged Attack instead only 5

Archmage codex- (and all other compediums) should have spells like:
1lev
1+2lev
1+2+3lev
1+2+3+4lev
all spells for AmC
of course only those which fit the magic school that the hero knows

Other old artifacts:

Tynan's dagger of despair- sorrow (+aging+ curse as dagger has no Attack bonus)

Giant slayer- should give +7 melee attack/+7 m&d def instead only 4 like soul stealer, bonus without changes
(soul stealer's bonus is far better than "slayer")

Brimstone Breastplate- why does it give "Fire Aura"?, I supposed it grants Efreet Fire Shield

Ring of Cobra's Eye and Poison Arrow should act like poisonous attack (doubled pioson spell) mabye also damaged increased by the hero's level

Ring of elementals- in addition to doubling their number in summon elemental spells should affect the elementals in summoning menu (+50-100%)

Some ranged weapon should be improved, as the Ranged Attack is usually much more less than Melee

Valder's crossbow of sloth- +7 RA instad only 5, bonus without changes

Snipers crossbow- +5 RA instead only 3, bonus without changes

Centaur Spear- +7 MA/RA instead only 5, bonus without changes

Throwing Spear- +10 MA/RA instead only 8

someone mentioned about the bug with magic resistance of cape of protection in Army screen, just reminding :)

And some new artifacts:

Shadow lance- 2 hands, gives charge, +15 Melee attack for the hero and allows to cast "Terror"
(some kind of Dark Champion's lance)

Mirror shield- +10% defence for the creatures, creatures granted with Magic mirror

Sword of Light- +10 MA for the hero, 40% to cast Blind (like unicorn)

Ghastly (Spectral) Armour- doubles Defence of the hero (insubstantial ability)

Gorgon Shield- +10% Def of friendly creatures, our creatures has Stone Gaze ability

Scythe of hades- 2 hands, +10 melee attack to the hero, No Retaliation, always kills (devourin or Hand of Death depend of the level of the hero)

Minotaur's Axe- +10 MA, 40% to block (like minotaur)

If any of the suggestions has appeared, sorry for repeating :embarrased:

Consider those changes, some aren't big, bu especially relics HAVE to be improved B-)

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

As for new ideas for Eq...

Unread postby Black Ghost » 22 Jan 2006, 19:06

When it comes to new things in Eq, what about gaining some goodies after killing middle and large neutral armies? some gold (20-250 for middle armies and randomly) or mabye some resource 1-2 ore, ore 1 gem? Or mixed? And sometimes artifact, from items to minor (depends on the strength, and level of units)

And it would mabye occur only 33% or even 25%... As I said only sometimes...

Perhaps it's possible to script that, but I don't know how to select the current amount (I don't know how to select rangom goddie) for current army strengh level (scripts doesn't have creatures XP values, but I'm not 100%sure) Mabye good scripter could help me:)

Additionally, some market where you could sell artifacts. Only SELL. The guy who buys them would give 1/3 ore 1/4 of their really value, but if you have 3 Leathers, or 2 snowshoes which you don't need, or even a major artifact, but you won't use it, you could have additional gold source:)

and the idea is to sell any artifact, no matter if it's potion, item, or relic. And of course treasure won't be equal always to another treasuer, so each artifacy should have it's own price...

it won't be critical to the game play, but IMO nice, sometimes useful addon
Is it worth to add to 3.6, Equilibris Team?

Trang Oul
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trang Oul » 22 Jan 2006, 21:07

Could you add stack experience (like WoG)?

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 23 Jan 2006, 00:38

Ok, I agree at some points, and disagree at some others:
chaos- +50% efectivness to chaos spells
order- +33% to evectiveness to order spells, order spells cost 33% less
death- +50% efectiveness to death spells, death spells cost 33% less
nature- +25% to efectiveness to nature spells, nature spells cost 33% less
life- +50% to all life spells (not 100% only to healing), +20% resurection

Staff of Power- +33% to efectiveness of all spells, all spells cost 33% less
It would be good for balance, but what you suggest is pretty much making them the same (Magic efficiancy). Though you're probably right it's unfair that some are more useful than others.
As for relics, we should take into consideration that they are very rare, and have to find some oracles to get them
Well, mapmakers (well, me, at least) don't only use relics as grail artifacts. They may be part of the story, or prize for a quest. So making them so much powerful isn't a good idea in my opinion.
Archmage codex- (and all other compediums) should have spells like:
1lev
1+2lev
1+2+3lev
1+2+3+4lev
all spells for AmC
of course only those which fit the magic school that the hero knows
Now this is a great idea. These kind of tomes can be VERY useless. What I'd prefer, however, would be something like this:
1lev
1+2lev
2+3lev
3+4lev
4+5lev for AmC
Otherwise it would be a bit too much.
Tynan's dagger of despair- sorrow (+aging+ curse as dagger has no Attack bonus)
Hmm, maybe Sorrow+Aging would be enough (Unless there's another artifact that has this ability)
Giant slayer- should give +7 melee attack/+7 m&d def instead only 4 like soul stealer, bonus without changes
(soul stealer's bonus is far better than "slayer")
+6 att/def is better, but yes, +3+3 is too poor for a magic sword :D
Some ranged weapon should be improved, as the Ranged Attack is usually much more less than Melee
Yes, those ranged weapons are pretty weak, but the spears are just fine as they are, sinec they also add Melee attack.
And some new artifacts...
The lance and the sword of light sound fine, but the Mirror shield and Gorgon Shield are too much. Same with the armor (Also, it's probably impossible to code for 2x defense anyway).
Minotaur's Axe could be part of a set (Minotaur's Axe+Minotaur's Armor+Minotaur's shield). Ech of these would be minor artifacts with standard abilities, but when mixed togheter they give the Block ability. What do you think?
The scythe sounds very powerful... yet appropiate for a relic/major artifact. I'd like to hear more opinions...

Now the next post...
When it comes to new things in Eq, what about gaining some goodies after killing middle and large neutral armies? some gold (20-250 for middle armies and randomly) or mabye some resource 1-2 ore, ore 1 gem? Or mixed? And sometimes artifact, from items to minor (depends on the strength, and level of units)
Well, you can script things like these by checking the number of units, for example, and giving different things for each. This kind of feature is too especific to be added in the mod as a whole, so it should be up to the map makers.
Additionally, some market where you could sell artifacts. Only SELL
That'd be nice. I remember having a lot of spare artifacts in many maps. I remember on Heroes III there was a sacrificial pit where Haven and another faction could exchange artifacts for experience. This, however, would demand a whole new programming, so it would be pretty hard to make. Though again, it would be nice.
Could you add stack experience (like WoG)?
No. WoG changed the game almost completely. Equilibris is about improving it, and adding new content to heroesIV. I won't say it would be great to have the possibility, though, but it just won't happen :(

Rife
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Rife » 23 Jan 2006, 18:05

A very simple addition would be to make sea-capable versions of existing creatures so they can wander on seascapes. You know, like flying creatures and air and water elementals.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 23 Jan 2006, 18:17

You're not suggesting flying archers are you? :|
Well, you know you can place creatures with or without boats in water...

russianspy5727
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

ordor spells domination

Unread postby russianspy5727 » 24 Jan 2006, 01:01

two ordor spells I think should be modified

berserk: should be line of sight so an opponent hereo won't commit sucide against his own guys even in tight formation

hypnotise: just too powerful, should only last for one round or atleast two

Rife
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Rife » 24 Jan 2006, 02:29

Crusard wrote:You're not suggesting flying archers are you? :|
Well, you know you can place creatures with or without boats in water...
Yes, but they're stationary when you do so. They can't wander and so are easily avoidable.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 24 Jan 2006, 02:47

Boats *do* move, at least.
However making a dragon without a boat to move, well I don't think it can be done. Water passability is hard-coded into the game, and it would take more than the source code to change that. ;|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: ordor spells domination

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jan 2006, 12:29

russianspy5727 wrote:two ordor spells I think should be modified

berserk: should be line of sight so an opponent hereo won't commit sucide against his own guys even in tight formation

hypnotise: just too powerful, should only last for one round or atleast two
Berzerk could be limited with LoS,but I like hypnotize the way it is.Hypnotize is strong,but it is limited by LoS,and not effecting some creatures.

Return to “Equilibris”