Has anyone had problems with the AI?

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
timagalant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Has anyone had problems with the AI?

Unread postby timagalant » 08 Jul 2006, 17:57

It's just that I started a single player map, 6 players, 3v3. I'm with two AI's versus 3 AI's. Now because it is a little unfair, I gave the opponent AI's a big starting boost. About 35 of each lvl 1 creature of their castle.
For some reason, they sucked really bad. Even the AI's that were with me grew MUCH faster and stronger. Without no boost. How is this possible? I'd get it if a human player did better than an AI with a boost. But an AI, being much better than an AI with a huge starting boost? I think something isn't right here.
And I saw some AI ship, with army, that didn't move at all. It just stayed there, mid-sea. Maybe the AI got stuck in somehow? Any idea?
Thanks.

Have anything else AI-related? Post it.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 10 Jul 2006, 10:19

Thats that fabulous H4 AI :D
Lets just hope that Dalai and co. have made advancments in changing it.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 10 Jul 2006, 16:11

Sauron wrote:Lets just hope that Dalai and co. have made advancments in changing it.
Very modest, I have to admit :(
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Le_Faucheur
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Le_Faucheur » 10 Jul 2006, 16:12

a huge boost for AI would be: growth X10 in all his castle + earn 100.000 golds per day! :D

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 11 Jul 2006, 09:15

Le_Faucheur wrote:a huge boost for AI would be: growth X10 in all his castle + earn 100.000 golds per day! :D
That is very easy to do using scripting.
But we strongly (very strongly!) believe that cheating is a way to help AI, but an ugly one. But not to replace.

AI will be interesting competitor if you feel that it is "thinking", it is developing like a human opponent. For example, AI should conquer mines and creature banks, as a human player would. To get resoures and experience and to prevent you from getting it. If you just give him resuorces, he will never waste his time to fight for some mine.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 11 Jul 2006, 23:15

Dalai wrote: that cheating is a way to help AI, but an ugly one. But not to replace.

AI will be interesting competitor if you feel that it is "thinking", it is developing like a human opponent. For example, AI should conquer mines and creature banks, as a human player would. To get resoures and experience and to prevent you from getting it. If you just give him resuorces, he will never waste his time to fight for some mine.
That is what I always say when people consider H5 AI cheating (constant 10k/day) as "ok".
Sadly, but it doesnt help in most cases.

I think galciv2 shows pretty clear how TBS AI should be done. In this game AI at level NORMAL and below, actualy receives resource PENALTY.

As for h4. Its sad but for now AI cheating is the only way to make game fun.
Yet mapmakers should consider following points.
Giving only money/creture growth is not a best thing. For example - the way I enhance maps before playing includes also a sripts of "correct" town build, leveling heroes, and hard scripting that prevents AI to make huge armies wander without heroes.

Le_Faucheur
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Le_Faucheur » 12 Jul 2006, 16:35

yeah usually the AI has one big army with sucky heroes
and all his better heroes in another army with very few creatures + some really bad armies...
the most interesting and balanced battles I managed to get is by mixing creatures of differents factions in a neutral army(for example I made a cool army with titans,faerie dragon,level 15 priest with the book of life,level 15 magi with a book of order and the ring of permanancy.took me 2 or 3 tries to beat them without any losses,by chance my devils could summon lots of demons(like 4 or 5 times in the battle with one stack of devils)

Return to “Equilibris”