New member saying Hi to all, and asking for HELP

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Mighty Imp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New member saying Hi to all, and asking for HELP

Unread postby Mighty Imp » 03 May 2006, 15:50

Hello everyone!
I am very happy to have found this forum! you folks have a great community here. I have been a Heroes fan since H2, and have just recently begun playing H4. I would call myself an average skill player. I usually play on novice, and sometimes hard setting. I must say those of you who play the more difficult settings are very impressive indeed!

I have a question re: Equilibris.
I have read the FAQ, and looked through many posts (all I think) re: Equilibris help, but have yet to find the someone with the problem I am having. Please forgive me if I missed this somewhere.
I have a standard Ubisoft version 2.2 of H4 with no expansions and am having trouble running the mod. The installer runs fine with no errors, and I can see that it adds "x2.h4r", and "storm.h4r" to my data folder so it appears as though everything is OK. the problem occurs when I luanch the .exe I get an error saying "............h4mod.exe is not a valid Win32 Application". Can anybody tell me where to start troubleshooting with this one? I am running XP SP2, H4 runs fine as does the H5 demo.
thanks for any help you can give.
Mark

HPfan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HPfan » 03 May 2006, 16:36

Hehe I play champion :D
(sorry for boasting)

Mighty Imp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mighty Imp » 03 May 2006, 16:40

Ha Ha!
Well "Champion" my cause then and help me solve this problem! B-)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: New member saying Hi to all, and asking for HELP

Unread postby Dalai » 03 May 2006, 17:39

Mighty Imp wrote:Hello everyone!
I am very happy to have found this forum! you folks have a great community here. I have been a Heroes fan since H2, and have just recently begun playing H4.
Welcome Mark! :)
I have a standard Ubisoft version 2.2 of H4 with no expansions and am having trouble running the mod. The installer runs fine with no errors, and I can see that it adds "x2.h4r", and "storm.h4r" to my data folder so it appears as though everything is OK. the problem occurs when I luanch the .exe I get an error saying "............h4mod.exe is not a valid Win32 Application". Can anybody tell me where to start troubleshooting with this one? I am running XP SP2, H4 runs fine as does the H5 demo.
We have no experience with Ubisoft edition of HoMM-4. But in the worst case you will have to do everything as if you had ordinary non-patched version.

You say installer runs fine - does it mean you downloaded heroes4_sfx.exe and extracted it to game folder? If NO - do it first.

Does unmodded game run fine with our heroes4.exe file? (You launch unmodded game by double-clicking heroes4.exe and modded game - by double-clicking h4mod.exe)
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Mighty Imp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mighty Imp » 03 May 2006, 18:28

Thanks for the quick reply Dalai!
I did not run heroes4_sfx.exe because the description implies that it is for WoW wich I do not have. I will try this tonight thanks.

I believe the umodded game runs fine with your exe because I renamed my heroes4 to heroesOld as per the instructions and did not rename my shortcut. When I click on the shortcut for the unmodded exe it runs. When I click on the shortcut that the Equi. installer placed on my desktop (h4mod.exe), i get the previously mentioned error.

One other detail. After installation, the icons for both the unmodded, and modded H4 shortcuts have been changed from the normal H4 icon to an icon that is a white square with a blue line across the top like windows does not know what it is looking at.

Mighty Imp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mighty Imp » 04 May 2006, 03:34

HEY Dalai!
That did the trick thamks alot! I ran the Equlibris uninstall, ran the update you suggested, reinstalled Eq and BAMM! Nice shortcut icon by the way B-)

Now....I just have to work on not sucking so bad at the game :D
Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 04 May 2006, 03:41

Mighty Imp wrote: Now....I just have to work on not sucking so bad at the game :D
Thanks again, you guys are awesome!
Try playing non-equilibris first :). Things like splitting enemy stacks and changing creature balance can make the equilbris game a bit more difficult. I'm also not sure how the patch interacts with the original campaigns, if that's what you're playing through.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 04 May 2006, 08:00

Playing non-equilibris helps evaluate improvements :)

But Mighty Imp said he's playing on low difficulty settings, so changes will not make walkthrough much harder, but will hopefully make it more pleasant.

Only Death campaign (Gauldoth) is affected heavily by Equilibris changes, because player is dependant on Vampire-raising uber-necromancy.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Mighty Imp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mighty Imp » 04 May 2006, 19:01

Thanks for the advice guys. And Psychobabble, thanks very much for taking the time to provide all of those maps and map reviews!
Actually I've played through a few Scenarios and am on the third map in the Standard Haven(sp) campaign. I am thinking I should bump up my difficulty level but I am having lots of fun.

My problem with higher difficulties is that I seem to always fall into the "General Custer" syndrome. I cruise around winning battles with nuetrals, securing mines, building my town, maybe even take over a town or two. Then just when I think I'm doing well, here comes some enemy Hero with a completely overwhelming army, and like Custer, I'm left thinking..."Where the heck did all these Indians come from!?! :| :(

HPfan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HPfan » 04 May 2006, 19:46

The only advice I shall give you is: don't waste your army! I noticed playing heroes long time that enemy used to waste his army fighting against neutral units. Attack neutrals only when you have many times bigger army than the neutral one you attack, then you have nearly no loss (in army) and big benefits from fighting...
At the start it might seem unreasonable to stay at home waiting for army big enough to attack neutral one, but after short time you'll see that you devour all the neutrals and take money as well as artifacts...
Anyway - Good luck at raising level!

Mighty Imp
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mighty Imp » 04 May 2006, 20:18

HPfan thanks for the advice! Im open to anything that can help me get better.

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 05 May 2006, 03:41

It all comes with experience :)

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 05 May 2006, 03:43

Mighty Imp wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. And Psychobabble, thanks very much for taking the time to provide all of those maps and map reviews!
No worries :)

Return to “Equilibris”