Problem with Equilibris

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Problem with Equilibris

Unread postby newbie » 18 Jun 2012, 14:38

I installed Equilibris 3.51. I think I followed FAQ. I can even play campaigns, tutrioal and saves.
But when I click new game and choose scenarios or try to open the spellbook game crashes.
Can please someone help me? :S

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby newbie » 19 Jun 2012, 15:04

I would add that if I finish my turn i says that autosave failed

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 20 Jun 2012, 08:47

newbie wrote:I would add that if I finish my turn i says that autosave failed
Try replacing your updates.h4r file with our's.

What is the language and version of your game? Win version? Describe installation process in details.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby newbie » 23 Jun 2012, 12:19

Language is English.
Game version is 3.0.0.2 I haven't downloaded any patch.
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

Process:
1) I rename my "heroes4.exe" to "heroes4old.exe"
2) Download the "heroes4_sfx.exe" and 7zip it and then put it C:/Program Files/3DO/Heroes of Might and Magic IV
3)I didn't understand this step. Where can
i get the mod installer and where to put it exactly? (Download the Mod Installer. Install the mod as if you had Winds of War)
4) I renamed equi.h4r to x2.h4r
5) Then I created an empty file named storm.h4r (0 bytes) in Data folder
Computer named automatically it storm (2).h4r because I had file named storm.h4r (size: 38,8 MB) there already
6) I downloaded updates_sfx.exe, 7zipped it and put updates.h4r to data folder

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 23 Jun 2012, 13:39

7zip it means that you unziped it? You extracted the content and placed it into the game folder?

Sorry to asking, but phrase "to zip" means that you're packing the file not otherwise.

Well.

You're supposed to download the mod and install it, if it's not enough then replace individual files.

heroes4_sfx.exe - Main file executable
camp_ed_sfx.exe - Campaign Editor for Equi
equi.aop - Contains new objects in the map editor.

Is your game version Heroes IV. Complete or WoW?

As for points 1, 5 I'm getting a bit lost and leaving that to Dalai. But you have currently "mixed" content that's why the game is crashing on you. And that's most likely because you skipped the step with installing the main mod.

Download and install
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby newbie » 23 Jun 2012, 15:23

Thanks guys for being helpful :)
I did everything again and put some files from downloads to heroes IV folder.
Game works now, autosave still failes but at least game works. So I can save before important fights or before quiting.
You're right I didn't 7zip, I unzipped these files.
Btw game version is complete.

I have few questions about the game. :D
Necromancy skill and summoning skill menu.
I've read somewhere ALT plus e should work. It doesn't work for me.
Where are new objects in the map editor? :D :D

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 23 Jun 2012, 16:00

newbie wrote: Where are new objects in the map editor? :D :D
Dali will have at answer the others, but it sounds as if the installation is still not complete as I have run it under XP, Vista, Win7 32 and 64 bit without issue. If you have the equilibris editor loaded all the new content will be in the addon tab. If the tab is not present be sure you loaded equilibris' equip.aop file and that you run the c_e_mod.exe file. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jun 2012, 18:22

newbie wrote:I've read somewhere ALT plus e should work. It doesn't work for me.
Yea, it only works in windowed mode, so start that and you'll see the new menu.

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby newbie » 23 Jun 2012, 21:44

GreatEmerald wrote:
newbie wrote:I've read somewhere ALT plus e should work. It doesn't work for me.
Yea, it only works in windowed mode, so start that and you'll see the new menu.
Thanks, I found windowed mode :D

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby newbie » 23 Jun 2012, 21:56

jeff wrote:
newbie wrote: Where are new objects in the map editor? :D :D
Dali will have at answer the others, but it sounds as if the installation is still not complete as I have run it under XP, Vista, Win7 32 and 64 bit without issue. If you have the equilibris editor loaded all the new content will be in the addon tab. If the tab is not present be sure you loaded equilibris' equip.aop file and that you run the c_e_mod.exe file. :D
equip.aop file is in data folder and c_e_mod.exe file is in Heroes of Might and Magic folder.
But if I run c_e_mod.exe then everything looks same like in orginal campaign editor. Is there any trick to open the addon tab?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 02 Jul 2012, 11:29

newbie wrote:Language is English.
Game version is 3.0.0.2 I haven't downloaded any patch.
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

Process:
1) I rename my "heroes4.exe" to "heroes4old.exe"
2) Download the "heroes4_sfx.exe" and 7zip it and then put it C:/Program Files/3DO/Heroes of Might and Magic IV
3)I didn't understand this step. Where can
i get the mod installer and where to put it exactly? (Download the Mod Installer. Install the mod as if you had Winds of War)
4) I renamed equi.h4r to x2.h4r
5) Then I created an empty file named storm.h4r (0 bytes) in Data folder
Computer named automatically it storm (2).h4r because I had file named storm.h4r (size: 38,8 MB) there already
6) I downloaded updates_sfx.exe, 7zipped it and put updates.h4r to data folder
It seems that you made some extra steps not needed in your case.

You have version 3.0 - is it patched vanilla, patched GS or WoW? Your English version - is it old 3DO version or new Ubi version?
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 31 Aug 2012, 01:09

My laptop recently crashed and I had to reload everything, and now I am getting the autosave failed.

I have installed the UBI Heroes IV complete, WoW English edition and am running Win 7 64 bit Professional. The installation is exactly the same as before but now without autosave. Also I can save, but these new games can't be seen in Windows Explorer, though they are there when I need to load them. Where are they going? Any ideas? BTW you links to FP are all broke.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Aug 2012, 06:54

Did you make sure to disable UAC virtualisation?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 31 Aug 2012, 20:16

GreatEmerald wrote:Did you make sure to disable UAC virtualisation?
No, how do I do that?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Aug 2012, 21:19

See this to open the Group Policy editor:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/36 ... -open.html
Then follow the link I gave in the previous post to disable the virtualisation.

The virtualisation is really the worst thing Microsoft could have thought of. It's supposed to be a security feature, but it's absolutely pointless, and it results in the worst possible scenario - a silent failure. The files just disappear from where they should be, and neither the program nor the user is informed. Disabling the virtualisation makes sure that the program gets informed that the write has failed. With that in mind, it's likely that you won't be able to save the games now - but that can be worked around by going to compatibility options and selecting "always run this application as an administrator".

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 01 Sep 2012, 07:41

If you don't want to disable UAC protection try this:

-Did you install the game into the program files folder (the default one)? The protection seems to be working only in those folders ... so if you have a D drive or some other games folder in C, try installing it there.

Any application data in windows 7/vista is not saved in program files folders but only in users/appdata or similar folders. Because HoMM is older than windows 7/vista it's not built with UAC protection in mind.

-If you really want your game to stay in program files you may try running the game as administrator.

Hope you solved it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 Sep 2012, 21:56

Disabling virtualisation does not disable UAC itself, and doesn't make the computer less secure. If anything, it makes it more secure and stable.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 Sep 2012, 22:38

TheUnknown wrote: -If you really want your game to stay in program files you may try running the game as administrator.

Hope you solved it.
Running as an administrator did seem to clear up most of my issues. However, new_mod.h4r file seems to be screwed up with some of the portraits showing and others not in the game, even though they are present in the editor and in facetool. I have decided to reset my computer back to its shipping state and reinstall everything. I'll let you know how it works out.

It seems running it in Win 7 as administrator or Win XP SP2 (I've had problems with SP3 in the past) and turning off the UAC as it then becomes annoying fixes my issues. The pictures are there, somehow the selected heroes got changed but the custom bios were still there so I missed the fact the hero changed. So all is good right now. :-D

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 02 Sep 2012, 23:05

However, new_mod.h4r file seems to be screwed up with some of the portraits showing and others not in the game, even though they are present in the editor and in facetool.
In windows 7/vista be sure to run as administrator any program that is trying to edit anything into heroes folder (in program files) ... for example the facetool ... or otherwise the changes may not be applied.

Also I would recommend to anyone to avoid turning off UAC protection because it may lead to security issues ... UAC basically asks you if you want to allow (run as administrator) a program to do a hardware change, so if you stumble upon a malicious software you can deny it's malicious intent, but if you don't have UAC such software will easily copy itself all around your machine and modify some files without your permission.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Sep 2012, 23:11

TheUnknown wrote: Also I would recommend to anyone to avoid turning off UAC protection because it may lead to security issues ... UAC basically asks you if you want to allow (run as administrator) a program to do a hardware change, so if you stumble upon a malicious software you can deny it's malicious intent, but if you don't have UAC such software will easily copy itself all around your machine and modify some files without your permission.
This is true, but for some reason, programs run as administrator trigger UAC, and when I set the program to run in XP compatibility even without administrator selected; it triggered the UAC warning. I do not know what is different as this didn't happen before the original crash. :cantsee:

Return to “Equilibris”