project status

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 03 Feb 2011, 12:58

I don't think it's that brilliant. The creature is either fast of slow. If the creature is (for example) slow, but makes more moves than opponent (your "Extremely Positional dependant unit") - it is just self-contradicting description. If it's fast - it goes further and/or strikes more often.
I disagree. Acting more is very different than moving further. When a unit can act more than another unit it means it can position itself more often thus dodging more attacks. Initiative acts as either a movement bonus or an offensive bonus or a defensive bonus - player's choice: thus more strategy involved. Combine it with smart tweaking of the movement length and you have units playing very differently one from another.

Think of the comparison of Blood Furies in H5 with Harpies in H3. Both had the same mechanic no-retaliation, strike and return. But because Blood Furies were able to reposition themselves much faster than low-init units it came up to the point where you could kill huge amounts of slow units like zombies by just dancing around them. And that was very fun. Try doing the same with Harpies in H3 and you wont succeed.
One more thought. A situation when one fast unit can kill many slow units without a scratch (like 1 sprite against 1000 Hydras in H4) is just a BAD design. You have to avoid things like that at all cost. The should be no such things, even with help from magic hero. But with your idea above this will happen far too often.
Again I'm not sure I agree. Of course 1 sprite vs Hydras could be seen as an abuse but then again, in H4 units were rarely alone or very rarely split themselves in stacks of one.

First of all this type of thing makes creeping very fun: kill a lot with very little.
Second it emphasizes the need of synergy between units or hero spells and units. Hydras were sluggish slow units: add in Teleport and you have a beast on your hands. Again the perk Teleport Attack from H5 was awesome at this (and it played on the Initiative System - see how this thing has so much potential)
Third this will add choice to army composition: do you want fast and fragile units or slow powerhouses. Maneuver units or Tanks? I think it has very much potential if balanced right.

And about your 1 sprite against 1000Hydras it was never really viable... I mean, 1 morale boost and your hero is dead... really doubt it ever broke a game, except maybe single player with lots of reloading which is never really that important.
H4 had just the right degree of randomness. You get semi-random (not just random!) choices, but you choose the skills to upgrade yourself. Degree of randomness can be tuned by offering 2 or 4 choices instead of 3, but the system is just right. The H6 idea of removing randomness out of the hero development tree is soooo wrong!
We'll just have to wait and see. To me the worst problem with non-random choice is the fact that there will always be best picks at each level all leading to the fact that every level 10 hero of one class will always look the exact same way.
If multiple relevant choices are added it could be a valid solution to adapting strategy in function of the map, and maybe could lead to a better balance of the game (no more rng losses like in H5)

I agree, H4 was the best in this regard. However the perks were sometimes boring (like more mana, or more efficiency for spells schools that had very few power dependent spells to begin with - like Life and Order Magic) and RNG did play a bad part sometimes :

- for example being offered Charm, Summoning and Basic Combat to my Nature-Order Magic Hero when all I really want is to level up my magics so I can get new spells;
- or being spammed with Seamanship when all I want to get is that Expert Stealth to start stealing artifacts and leech Stealth Experience. Huge difference btw from getting Expert Stealth at level 5 (think this is the earliest u can get it) as opposed to level 10 or so...

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 03 Feb 2011, 14:06

Kranyum wrote: - for example being offered Charm, Summoning and Basic Combat to my Nature-Order Magic Hero when all I really want is to level up my magics so I can get new spells;
- or being spammed with Seamanship when all I want to get is that Expert Stealth to start stealing artifacts and leech Stealth Experience. Huge difference btw from getting Expert Stealth at level 5 (think this is the earliest u can get it) as opposed to level 10 or so...
Campaigns are meant to be played this way

The normal maps you wanna play at home can be tweaked to ban certain skills and you can get what you want.

The competitive maps used in tournaments have already banned some skills in order to decrease the random getting of skills. You can get some of the banned skills from objects in game when you feel like it (for money or free).

If the game is changed as you say, than it won't be able to be played the fun(random) way, it could be played only the pro(fixed) way. The game we have now with minor tweaks can be changed to both ways as long as the mapmaker wants.

Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 03 Feb 2011, 15:30

TheUnknown wrote:
Kranyum wrote: - for example being offered Charm, Summoning and Basic Combat to my Nature-Order Magic Hero when all I really want is to level up my magics so I can get new spells;
Campaigns are meant to be played this way

The normal maps you wanna play at home can be tweaked to ban certain skills and you can get what you want.

The competitive maps used in tournaments have already banned some skills in order to decrease the random getting of skills. You can get some of the banned skills from objects in game when you feel like it (for money or free).

If the game is changed as you say, than it won't be able to be played the fun(random) way, it could be played only the pro(fixed) way. The game we have now with minor tweaks can be changed to both ways as long as the mapmaker wants.
You have a point. Although I doubt seeing seamanship pop up is ever fun. :)

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 03 Feb 2011, 21:22

Kranyum wrote: You have a point. Although I doubt seeing seamanship pop up is ever fun. :)
I second that :D

I even made a topic about changing some scouting skills some time ago as scouting is useless on waterless maps and may be overpowered on water filled ones.

overall
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby overall » 23 Apr 2011, 18:23

Image To Sabertooth Cat i have seen all ice age and 10000 bc movies you were very good on those... i most lightly hope good luck to this project and hope it will be done someday i promise save some catnip for that day x)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 26 Apr 2011, 10:02

overall wrote:To Sabertooth Cat i have seen all ice age and 10000 bc movies you were very good on those... i most lightly hope good luck to this project and hope it will be done someday i promise save some catnip for that day x)
Thanks :) Those were my neighbors, but I'll pass your compliments to them ;)
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Siegfried » 03 Sep 2011, 12:03

Hmmm, i do know some assembler programming. Although it's quite some years ago that i last had to.

There are drawbacks, too. I have no idea of windows programming and no experience in games programming. I used to program assembler for embedded control, which is probably very different. So i don't know if i would be able to help.

Next i do not have Windows. I'm using Linux. For H4 i'd probably need a Windows-Based assembler. Does anyone have one?

I'm out now for some weeks and back end of september.

Regards
Siegfried

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 03 Sep 2011, 22:27

Siegfried wrote:Hmmm, i do know some assembler programming. Although it's quite some years ago that i last had to.

There are drawbacks, too. I have no idea of windows programming and no experience in games programming. I used to program assembler for embedded control, which is probably very different. So i don't know if i would be able to help.

Next i do not have Windows. I'm using Linux. For H4 i'd probably need a Windows-Based assembler. Does anyone have one?
Yes, you'll need Windows and some decent tools. You'll need to master some (simple) tricks. You'll need to have A LOT of patience. But it is doable - people started with much worse background than yours.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Siegfried
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Siegfried » 04 Sep 2011, 07:17

O.k.

I'm on vacancies this week the next days and back end of september. So i can't start earlier. But you might send me a list of necessary software. I won't install windows, but maybe these tools are running with wine.

You find my address at my website (info - impressum). Just send me an e-mail listing the necessary tools and maybe where to get them. It is not possible to put much money in, but if i can afford it i'll give it a try.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Sep 2011, 08:18

Running it in a VirtualBox probably would be better. Wine is too imperfect right now.

Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 18 Feb 2012, 21:04

any advancements on a new release?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 21 Feb 2012, 12:02

We have testing compilations, that contain more objects and have less problems with maps that fail to start. Still not ready though.

Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 12 Apr 2014, 07:22

any news of a possible release?

Poc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Poc » 01 Sep 2014, 12:00

Any news pls?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 04 Nov 2014, 14:51

Poc wrote:Any news pls?
Mostly grave news of military and political nature, sorry. I'm sure you it's not what you came here for ;|

mochman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mochman » 13 Dec 2014, 19:45

is the project dead?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 16 Dec 2014, 23:03

No.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 30 Dec 2014, 11:56

good thing euthenasia isn't allowed online. keep the Equilibris respirator going ;)
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Feb 2015, 20:23

Karmakeld wrote:good thing euthenasia isn't allowed online. keep the Equilibris respirator going ;)
Equilibris has only been in a vegetative state coma for 10 (or is it 12) years now. Any time soon, Equilibris could wake up. :hoo:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Have you faltered in your faith in the Equi project?

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 27 Feb 2015, 07:17

After more than 10 years since the release of version 3.51 (Oct 2004) I'm beginning to think that having faith in any new upcoming Equilibris versions equals in its own peculiar way this famous Bible quote:

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed"

We have not seen the famous version 3.60 yet we have believed it is coming in the near future. So, unless Dalai states here that the project has been Terminated we can conclude that it still lingers on along with our hopes.

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “Equilibris”