Spell discusions

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 07 Apr 2006, 11:28

csarmi wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: I see what you mean now, I think. IMHO, torched attack would be too powerful even for a level 5 spell if it converts all of an enemy army's physical attack into a fire based attack. Black dragons would be imortal.
First, it would normally convert only 50% damage.

2nd, Black Dragons have no fire immunity. They take normal damage from fire based attack (and they have a fire attack themselves).

That's why Black Dragons lose to Phoenixes so badly.

Thanks for clarifying that once more!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Apr 2006, 12:29

csarmi wrote: 2nd, Black Dragons have no fire immunity. They take normal damage from fire based attack (and they have a fire attack themselves).

That's why Black Dragons lose to Phoenixes so badly.
To the equilibris team: Could the fire attack 'icon' be added to the BD's portfolio? :)

csarmi, I disagree with you that picking anything other than the mantis from the creature portal is dumb. Perhaps it is imprudent to pick anything other than mantises or water elementals in impossible-difficulty, fight to the death, king-of-the-hill multiplayer games where the only objective is to win. In general, however, when the major objective of the game is to have fun (and I think the majority of players will agree to that), a satisfactory (and victorious) game can be played by choosing any of the creatures from the portal. If that were not the case, if picking anything other than the mantises were "dumb", then the game itself would be dumb and devoid of diversity.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 08 Apr 2006, 00:20

Yep. I sometimes choose Wasps. And they deal hell of a damage! But actually I never choose anything other than Mantises, WE's and Wasps...

Hey I'm a Scout now!

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 08 Apr 2006, 15:45

@Methatron
o the equilibris team: Could the fire attack 'icon' be added to the BD's portfolio?
There's no need. BD has Breath-Attack icon. I doubt that non-fire BREATH attacks are ever possible ;)

Here are upg:
Fire Attack -> Breath Attack -> Arc-Breath Attack

As for portal, all units but Mantises are IMO weaker than their level counterparts. I dont want to have troops as good as griffins, but little improvements would make them competitive to mantises.
As for level 2,5 :D elementals, they should be equal in power, and have the same xp as today w-elemental is far better than its buddies.

flyfightflea
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby flyfightflea » 09 Apr 2006, 21:41

Some other heroes iii spells are good such as remove obstacle and counterstrike would be useful. also fire resis and an inverse mirror that casts any neg spell the target uses back at it could be good for order. Also, fly and water walk are good if possible

flyfightflea
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby flyfightflea » 09 Apr 2006, 22:23

a fear spell could also be interesting like the bone dragon abili could be an upgrade to the aura

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 12 Apr 2006, 11:34

Black Ghost wrote:
As for portal, all units but Mantises are IMO weaker than their level counterparts. I dont want to have troops as good as griffins, but little improvements would make them competitive to mantises.
As for level 2,5 :D elementals, they should be equal in power, and have the same xp as today w-elemental is far better than its buddies.
Sure, creatures like the elementals are physically weaker than most level 3 units, but this is augmented by their greater growth.

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 12 Apr 2006, 20:05

but this is augmented by their greater growth.
Absolutely agree, however IMO quality not number is essensial. I still prefer 4 standard 3rd lev units than 8 elementals (mabye I'd go for 8 w-elem., but depends on situation)
It could be change by balancing all elementals to the power level of w-elem.
And so earth could have 50battle-radius (like devil to teleport everywhere) but would STILL have very low initiative and adv. map. mov.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Apr 2006, 20:21

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm still fond of fire elementals, for example. They aren't bad shooters at all, and they're a great bargain considering they're level 3 and come at 10 per week as opposed to the elves, who are level 2 and you only get 7 of them. I also quite like the air elementals, especially if I'm facing many neutral stacks of ranged creatures, so I can thwart them early on with these insubstantial, greyish speed demons. :)

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 15 Apr 2006, 11:13

Air are good blockers when summoned:)
Hmm, didn't remember that potral week growth of f.e. is 10...
Hmm, but IMO Wasports (200gold more) can easly replace f.e and suppose their total cost(*6 per week?) will be ~same as f.e.'s These two units seem to be too simmilar.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 28 Apr 2006, 21:46

order really need some more spells, it's has the fewest out of all the schools, and since they are all about manipulation, i've got some ideas:

spiritual missile (lv3) - give a single shooter stack unlimitted ammo
enrage (lv2) - make a enemy stack go berseker (same as berskers) for the rest of the battle
mass enrage/frenzy (lv4) ditto
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Apr 2006, 21:49

Order has the fewest,but most powerful spells.Maybe instead of spiritual missle,precision could give unlimited ammo,and pushed up a level.So precision would be lvl3,while mass precision would become lvl5.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 28 Apr 2006, 22:06

that could work, but my concern is without low level precision, halflings would become much less useful early on

BDragon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby BDragon » 28 Apr 2006, 22:31

I have an idea:
Its for life magic:

Code: Select all

name: Curses Resistance 
level: 3-4 
Magic: Life 
What is do: from all curses magics its resestance. 

I think its a good spell from the dead spells... or other curses spells...
And for the icon (i dont know).
How the spell?
Last edited by BDragon on 29 Apr 2006, 09:47, edited 3 times in total.
Black Dragon...

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 29 Apr 2006, 09:28

BenchBreaker wrote:order really need some more spells, it's has the fewest out of all the schools, and since they are all about manipulation, i've got some ideas:

spiritual missile (lv3) - give a single shooter stack unlimitted ammo
enrage (lv2) - make a enemy stack go berseker (same as berskers) for the rest of the battle
mass enrage/frenzy (lv4) ditto
there's simmilar spell Berserk, but with a bit diffrent effect.
Btw. enrage as lev.2 would be too powerful. It just disables target spellcaster to cast spells-> probably it will always go in melee;) The same with spell-abilities (angels, devils, nightmares, ect).

and mass enrage is a broken! Even as lev.5

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 29 Apr 2006, 14:46

Black Ghost wrote: there's simmilar spell Berserk, but with a bit diffrent effect.
Btw. enrage as lev.2 would be too powerful. It just disables target spellcaster to cast spells-> probably it will always go in melee;) The same with spell-abilities (angels, devils, nightmares, ect).

and mass enrage is a broken! Even as lev.5
i know, but berserk is completely different, it only last one round and the berserked unit might attack allies, with enrage you simply give a stack the berserk special like berseker/gnasher. personally i don't think the berserk special is that bad, i mean berskers manage fine with them.

about disabling spellcaster, as it stands, spellcasters are generally more powerful, leading ppl to frequently choose them over non-spellcasters. maybe this spell will keep them on their toes? otherwise the spell is really not that useful

maybe mass enrage is too much (but remeber, heroes have good chance to resist the spell), it could be area effect like cloud of confusion.

another compromise could be making it last 5 rounds

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Apr 2006, 15:00

How about making mana leech and spell shackle stronger.They are good at disabling creatures,but not at disabling heroes.How about spellshackle making spells cost double,and deal 2hp damage for every sp spent,and mana leech making spells cost their level times their original cost.

BDragon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby BDragon » 29 Apr 2006, 18:56

I have an idea:
Its for life magic:

Code: Select all

name: Curses Resistance 
level: 3-4 
Magic: Life 
What is do: from all curses magics its resestance. 

I think its a good spell from the dead spells... or other curses spells...
And for the icon (i dont know).
How the spell?
Why no one answer me? :cry:
Black Dragon...

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 29 Apr 2006, 18:58

BDragon wrote:Why no one answer me? :cry:
sorry i don't quite get
BDragon wrote:from all curses magics its resistance

:| ;| :? :??

maybe you should explain first...

BDragon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby BDragon » 29 Apr 2006, 19:04

BDragon wrote:
Why no one answer me?

sorry i don't quite get BDragon wrote:
from all curses magics its resistance

maybe you should explain first...
Its all what you understand? So ok: :)
All bad spells (magics) you have, in one word: its defense. just good magics work on that hero/creature you do this spell. :)
(i hope i explain right...)
Black Dragon...

Return to “Equilibris”