Town Gate

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Town Gate

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Jul 2009, 09:15

Is there a way to use Equilibris, but have Town Gate as a combat spell again? It's a huge loss that it's disabled, because first of all, I like HoMM4 mostly because of its similarities to Might and Magic series (heroes in battle, potions, wandering monsters...), and Town Gate is an awesome implementation of the Time Distortion spell from MM games. Secondly, it has very nice graphical animation and the combat end video. And in SP, it lets you use save/load less often, which is again close to MM, namely 1-2 where you couldn't save the game wherever you wanted.

Otherwise, if not for Town Gate, this mod is awesome! I especially like how Orcs are less of a failure now, and potion spells as regular spells is a nice touch.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Jul 2009, 00:29

I also loved to use Town Gate in combat, especially when using the Charm or Diplomacy skill. I'd get some of the creatures to join me, then Town Portal/Gate out of combat, go back for more to join. I mourned the loss of Town Gate in combat when using Equilibris but the benefits of the mod were well worth the loss. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Jul 2009, 00:38

You can't use it?? I'm fairly certain I've used it more than once under Equilibris!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Jul 2009, 01:41

Metathron wrote:You can't use it?? I'm fairly certain I've used it more than once under Equilibris!
Not in combat like in the original game. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Jul 2009, 09:05

HodgePodge wrote:I mourned the loss of Town Gate in combat when using Equilibris but the benefits of the mod were well worth the loss. :)
Exactly :) What was the reason to remove it anyway?

Oh, and why didn't anyone make a Lloyd's Beacon spell for HoMM series yet? :)

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 27 Jul 2009, 22:42

What was the reason to remove it anyway?
Balance issues, very exploitable on multiplayer, not to mention against the ai and neutral creatures.
It is very hard and sometimes even impossible to counter.

I also love the movie :) and the disappearing animation but that's how things go in the balance mod, all in all it's for the better.
If you look in the modificaton topic for H4 and ask BAD23ro some questions you may learn how to enable the spell for yourself and then maybe even post the mod :P

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jul 2009, 08:52

Then they should have simply made it a level 5 spell so it would cost more and there would be less chances to cast it...

And where's the modification topic?

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby TheUnknown » 01 Aug 2009, 04:39

And where's the modification topic?
I found some of the modification topics of bad23ro but he has edited them, he is probably making a better guide and/or new mods.

Here are the topics I found:

viewtopic.php?t=8075

viewtopic.php?t=8902

viewtopic.php?t=10057

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... genumber=1

He even edited the old ones and the one on heroescommunity site, so there's nothing of his guide at the moment, you may find some useful info in those discussions though.

If you don't want to wait for him I may give you some of the guides I have saved (like changing creature abilities)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 Aug 2009, 10:56

Ah, OK, PM'ed him :)

BAD23ro

Unread postby BAD23ro » 11 Aug 2009, 23:29

I can't help you because you need to make text editing and then packed back.
My guides are down, so do not post anything using old tutorial.
Please wait until I'll update my topic.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 13 Aug 2009, 21:29

The thing I miss about Town Gate in H4 as opposed to H3 is the ability to select what town you can go to. I know many players like it this way, but I don't. I wanna select towns not go to the nearest one.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Aug 2009, 23:06

The Grandmaster Book of Town Portal was probably lost in the Reckoning, so all you have now is the Town Gate book that was written by mere Experts of Enroth. So there you have it :P
Actually, just because higher skill in magic doesn't improve current spells, it only lets you learn new ones...

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 06:34

Ahh, yes. I forgot about that reckoning thing. Now it all makes sense. 8|

Dj0rel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dj0rel » 26 Nov 2010, 14:48

ByteBandit wrote:The thing I miss about Town Gate in H4 as opposed to H3 is the ability to select what town you can go to. I know many players like it this way, but I don't. I wanna select towns not go to the nearest one.
I discovered a little trick that can at least a little compensate for the lack of ability to select what town you can go to. This is what says in Town Gate description "Town Gate transports the caster to the nearest town." however that is not completely accurate. The way Town Gate really works is that it transports the caster to the nearest unoccupied town. So if you put a "blockade" in front of your nearest town, Town Gate will transport you to your 2nd nearest town.

The "blockade" needs to consist out of maximum (I'll explain later) 4 armies positioned in such way to completely block entrance of your nearest town. Even 4 armies that contain nothing more than 1 dwarf will do.

Limitation. The fact that you can have maximum 8 armies at once means that you will in most cases be able to transport to your 2nd nearest town instead of your nearest at best. However in some cases there might be some objects next to your town entrance that can act as a substitute for an army (if it's a resource or an artifact don't pick it up) Then you will need fewer armies for your blockade and will be able to transport to your 3rd or even 4th nearest town.

I use this trick all the time. :D

Return to “Equilibris”