A Map of Ashan

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 29 Sep 2006, 18:58

@TT
I know you know what blight means. The key word in my sentence is common: it doesn't have to be related with other games; it's just a blight and it's called like that.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 Sep 2006, 19:07

My belief is that the map is old and not to be taken as a portent of things to come in the Ubi storyline. We do know that there are (or have been) some town infos talking about refugees from Palaedra and whatnot. The map is most likely another artifact of that.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 29 Sep 2006, 19:10

Gaidal Cain wrote:My belief is that the map is old and not to be taken as a portent of things to come in the Ubi storyline. We do know that there are (or have been) some town infos talking about refugees from Palaedra and whatnot. The map is most likely another artifact of that.
If the map is old, why does it look *so* much better (graphically) than the one included with HoMMV CE?

It seems to me if the map wasn't final yet, they wouldn't have put so much effort into making such a slick graphically-appealing map. Certainly this couldn't have been an easy thing to draw :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Sep 2006, 19:14

Wasn't it "refugees from Erathia" though?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 29 Sep 2006, 19:18

ThunderTitan wrote:Wasn't it "refugees from Erathia" though?
Yeah it was. One of the Necropolis towns says that.

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 29 Sep 2006, 19:52

ThunderTitan wrote:And is Stonehelm gone, or just too small to show up on that map?
According to the HOMMV map, all of what is now a huge crater was land before. And Stonehelm was in this area. So it's pretty gone...

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

A Map of Ashan

Unread postby Labyrinth » 29 Sep 2006, 21:56

Very good observations, Warlock! Kudos to you! ^^

And I'm also on the side of those who think this is a very NEW map, most probably from Dark Messiah or from whatever is happening after it, as Stonehelm seems to play a very important role in the game, and blowing it up, changing a lot of its surroundings, forming new lands and kingdoms, might be just a decent means for a story writer to keep stuff interesting.

So that map might actually be a spoiler for Dark Messiah. Although something really immense must happen to dig such a hole... something beyond imagination. Apart from an asteroid. Maybe. Or similar stuff...

Edit: The central point of that whole thing won't be called "The Doom Sea" by coincidence ;D
Edited on Fri, Sep 29 2006, 15:57 by Jerrie
What the #$*! do we know?

Clira
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

A Map of Ashan

Unread postby Clira » 29 Sep 2006, 22:29

It is a great work. I love it :). My soldiers your first target possesion of El-Safir :P. Very very long journey :). Nessus to El-Safir wow...
Edited on Fri, Sep 29 2006, 16:30 by Clira

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Sep 2006, 23:46

Darkstroem wrote:"According to the HOMMV map, all of what is now a huge crater was land before."
Actualy the 2 maps don't corespond very well, so we don't know the scale of the land. For all we know the Doom Sea might be to the east of the H5 map. Unless the explosion move the continent to the south of the H5 map closer too.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 30 Sep 2006, 09:49

ThunderTitan wrote: Actualy the 2 maps don't corespond very well, so we don't know the scale of the land. For all we know the Doom Sea might be to the east of the H5 map. Unless the explosion move the continent to the south of the H5 map closer too.
Compare the positions of the Griffin Empire, Heresh and the tropical islands on the two maps. They do correspond.

Zombie_Inc
Pixie
Pixie

A Map of Ashan

Unread postby Zombie_Inc » 30 Sep 2006, 10:47

Hmm, reminds me somewhat of Dragonlance....
"Patching Eternal!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 11:07

Darkstroem wrote:"Compare the positions of the Griffin Empire, Heresh and the tropical islands on the two maps. They do correspond."
In general position, not details.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

A Map of Ashan

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Sep 2006, 11:52

I wonder what's on the other side of the planet...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

A Map of Ashan

Unread postby Labyrinth » 30 Sep 2006, 13:05

Indeed!

And I'm wondering why the world (on the globe view as much as in the old Heroes V map) is so much looking like Europe and the eastern regions...
What the #$*! do we know?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Sep 2006, 13:53

You will hardly find a fantasy world that doesnt resemble earth.This one is good in its differences.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

A Map of Ashan

Unread postby JSE » 30 Sep 2006, 14:29

Tam Avlee, the Holy Griffin Empire, Palaedra, and Kreegar -- OMG... I thought Ubisoft had decided to create a completely new setting from scratch... Why then these obvious references? To make veteran gamers forget that Ubisoft really has no clue about what was going on in the previous games, to proof the designers' unoriginality, or as a big bad joke that sure spawns more bitterness and yearning (for the good old days) than giggles...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: A Map of Ashan

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Sep 2006, 14:44

JSE wrote:Tam Avlee, the Holy Griffin Empire, Palaedra, and Kreegar -- OMG... I thought Ubisoft had decided to create a completely new setting from scratch... Why then these obvious references? To make veteran gamers forget that Ubisoft really has no clue about what was going on in the previous games, to proof the designers' unoriginality, or as a big bad joke that sure spawns more bitterness and yearning (for the good old days) than giggles...
Nah,they just think that by putting in these names people will buy the game no matter what.Sadly,they are right in most cases.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: A Map of Ashan

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 15:19

Kalah wrote:I wonder what's on the other side of the planet...
Well what makes you think there's more. Plenty of real maps begin and end in the Pacific without making it seem like the planet is round.

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 30 Sep 2006, 20:41

what makes you think there's more
The globe on the right bottom of the image hints that, there might be some land on the other side of the world.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 21:02

Which might or might not be the eastern part of the main continent.

And i've just noticed where Heresh is. Damn, that is a hole right in the middle of the H5 map.

Return to “Screenshots”