H3HD Wolf Raiders

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Feb 2015, 23:21

A screenshot from the battlefield of the new <i>Heroes III HD</i> edition, in the midst of an attack by wolf raiders. What do we think?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=972
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 10 Feb 2015, 00:47

That the wolves are going to lose the battle? 8|
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

BlackDragonSlayer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlackDragonSlayer » 10 Feb 2015, 04:31

I'm not sure if they got the Master Gremlin's face entirely right, but overall, it looks good.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby Romanov77 » 10 Feb 2015, 09:31

It's beutiful.

If only they would fix the bugs, remove the choppiness and add the expansions...
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 10 Feb 2015, 20:39

@Romanov77: I've read it on Steam's HD Edition discussion thread that bug fixing is on its way but the pace is slow. I can't say about that choppiness issue, but what I do know about Heroes III HD Edition receiving expansions to complete the game... Not going to happen. They've said it before, said it again, that as they do not have the source code for AB and SoD, we can kiss the expansions goodbye.
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby hellegennes » 10 Feb 2015, 21:47

Can somebody explain to me how is it possible that they don't have the source code for the games of a franchise they paid $1.3 million to acquire?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby Panda Tar » 10 Feb 2015, 22:08

That gremlin is the scariest thing I have ever seen in a while.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 11 Feb 2015, 16:16

hellegennes wrote:Can somebody explain to me how is it possible that they don't have the source code for the games of a franchise they paid $1.3 million to acquire?
At a guess, you can blame 3do and its last desperation throes of bankruptcy for shoddy/non-existent archiving.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby hellegennes » 11 Feb 2015, 18:10

I can almost buy that, but the source code must exist somewhere. Unless Ubisoft bought the franchise rights only and not the relevant resources, there's no way in hell they didn't secure the source code of the most popular game of the franchise.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 11 Feb 2015, 18:45

Panda Tar wrote:>>>That gremlin is the scariest thing I have ever seen in a while.
Then even don't dare to look at Cyclops.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Feb 2015, 20:13

*shivers*
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 11 Feb 2015, 20:39

Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 16 Feb 2015, 22:42

I don't get the "no source code" thing. The game is out there, modders have cracked the code ages ago, why cannot Ubi do the same? They can unpack it and add the improved/changed stuff to the expansions.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

H3HD Wolf Raiders

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 16 Feb 2015, 22:44

Artas1984 - why do you keep posting your weird enlarged battlefield mods of the same photos?! I don't get it why anyone would like units to be that tiny.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Feb 2015, 00:47

BB Shockwave wrote:I don't get the "no source code" thing. The game is out there, modders have cracked the code ages ago, why cannot Ubi do the same? They can unpack it and add the improved/changed stuff to the expansions.
My guess would be cost. They'd either have to pay some company to reverse engineer, or go into the nightmare of determining who exactly cracked what in which mod in order to make sure somebody can't sue them later.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Feb 2015, 03:02

BB Shockwave wrote:Artas1984 - why do you keep posting your weird enlarged battlefield mods of the same photos?! I don't get it why anyone would like units to be that tiny.
That size seems more accurate, in comparison between units. Of course, for a game that you can't zoom in and out, it's not really adequate.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 17 Feb 2015, 08:25

BB Shockwave wrote:Artas1984 - why do you keep posting your weird enlarged battlefield mods of the same photos?! I don't get it why anyone would like units to be that tiny.
There are lots of people who relish the idea of Heroes 3 looking just like in my mod, simple as that. I know for a fact, that many folks have been waiting for such a mod since the beginning of Hereos 3 days. Some of them complain about certain units being too small or large, but other wise everyone likes the mod.
Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 17 Feb 2015, 10:55

Artas, respect for your work on your mod, I know what it takes to modify 170 x 80 frames.

But allow me to tell you that what you call visually "realistic" is getting hardly playable in game, and modification as yours are demonstrating the true reason why vanilla creatures are equal in size: battlefield grid.

I already tried your mod by the past and, beside the fact that flags now are levitating -which is only visual encumbrance- when trying to attack a former two squares creature, which is now showing 1 square but still physically TAKING 2 SQUARES, you end by miss-clicking and screwing all. Good luck with managing attack angles this way.

Next time be fair and post your screen with battle field grid enabled. Like this, which shows what is the backside:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/3150/1ZpGKS.jpg

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 22 Feb 2015, 12:58

Bandobras Took wrote:
BB Shockwave wrote:I don't get the "no source code" thing. The game is out there, modders have cracked the code ages ago, why cannot Ubi do the same? They can unpack it and add the improved/changed stuff to the expansions.
My guess would be cost. They'd either have to pay some company to reverse engineer, or go into the nightmare of determining who exactly cracked what in which mod in order to make sure somebody can't sue them later.
I can buy idea that SC can be lost, but AB came out less than year after original. NWC was relatively small team as well. I can't really imagine if that is that too hard to code bones of ab/sod on top of homm considering that they dont even need to recreate maps or other stuff that can be exported. Pretty sure small team of coders could do that in few months that isnt that expensive. Artist work for all sprites I believe is much bigger work
Also without expansions , HD eddition cant really be alternative for classic game(where mods already give hd resolutions) , since AB contain vital game elements. ROE by itselff lack lot of good things. :(

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Feb 2015, 17:24

I can't really think of a single game element AB contained that I'd consider vital.

On the other hand, there's some map editor functionality (linked creature dwellings spring to mind) and the campaign editor itself that I miss. If they're going to focus on adding anything from the expansions, I'd rather that.

Return to “Screenshots”