Dragon Overseer

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Dragon Overseer

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2013, 14:55

The dragon sees all. Another shot from <b>markkur</b> using the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=14204">PRT-Mod</a>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=853
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Jul 2013, 16:28

The dragon's just chillin'.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Dragon Overseer

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 30 Jul 2013, 17:34

Very cool.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2013, 19:24

@GreatEmerald: LOL :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 30 Jul 2013, 22:02

Those mountains are the best argument in all those 2D vs 3D discussions. We have 3D for almost 15 years now and it is still so pathetic. ;|
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 31 Jul 2013, 00:46

Then it's "my creation" that you don't like; since I made those to be spikes or fang-like peaks to frame the dragon in the picture. You can look at the "step-hills screenshot" to see the actual mountains and the elevations.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 31 Jul 2013, 10:01

Just checked it. Not really much better, especially the one in front left part, sorry. It's not your fault though, you can not compete in picture quality of 3D in realtime with something that was rendered for as long as it needed. In extreme case with unlimited processing power you'll just get a picture almost as good as 2D. The question is not "which is better?" (2D by far, obviously), the question is "Is the trade-off worth it?"
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 31 Jul 2013, 14:09

Well obviously, I known it's never been worth it to you...for over a year now since our last disagreement at EE :D Let's not do that again here, it's a picture thread. You don't like my pictures...fair enough; I already know that you think having your Hero walking a road I create i.e. that "HIlls-picture" is a bad idea.

Start/continue a 2D/3D discussion somewhere...I'll join in.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 31 Jul 2013, 17:35

I've never noticed the dragon's tail curled around the building until now.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 31 Jul 2013, 17:53

Fyi, xuxo did some work on objects too, but what the list is I have no idea. Howeve, in this case I think the Dragon's tail has always been there :D

What I've noticed is sharper details on many objects, but since I have 2 vid-mods (improvements) I've no idea which mod affects what object; I suspect both Mods are good to have since the since the first tiny Mod was made to correct the vid-memory error; it was needed because the older game was not utilizing the increased vid-resources.

Btw, one of the changes that I know Xuxo made was killing and roasting the chickens on the peasant-farm, so they're not there on his PRT mod.

Fyi. if you've downloaded the WrymWyrd map "Look for a update very soon". Read the PRT thread for the info.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 31 Jul 2013, 19:58

markkur wrote:Well obviously, I known it's never been worth it to you...for over a year now since our last disagreement at EE :D
Not for heroes, yes.
Let's not do that again here, it's a picture thread.
Agreed.
You don't like my pictures...fair enough; I already know that you think having your Hero walking a road I create i.e. that "HIlls-picture" is a bad idea.
As I said, it's not your fault as a bad mapmaker, or even artist. I am sure you make the best possible with this editor. And I know you are one of those few who actually learned well to work with it. Your screenshots being picked by editors for the POTD is proof that they are so much better than average. My problem is with using the wrong tool for the task. Sadly, the only tool. I am convinced that 3D brings much more harm than good to mapmaking.

There is an ancient Russian form of art - making small wooden objects (like spoons) with an axe. Some talented people can use axe so masterfully that they can create really sophisticated and refined objects. But it's needless to say that even "in Soviet Russia" :) most spoons are made of metal in industrial way.

The fact remains - maps for Heroes 5 and 6 (Heroes in 3D) are rare attempts at mastering editor. New generation of fans does not have a faintest idea what is community of Heroes fans and why it is extremely important part of Heroes previous installments' longevity. Ubisoft "team" doesn't have it either, so no one feels any loss.
Start/continue a 2D/3D discussion somewhere...I'll join in.
Meh... It won't change anything. And it will not be the first such topic. We better leave it at that.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 01 Aug 2013, 10:49

And here I was trying to have a wee bit o' fun and then you have to remind me of this. :D
The fact remains - maps for Heroes 5 and 6 (Heroes in 3D) are rare attempts at mastering editor. New generation of fans does not have a faintest idea what is community of Heroes fans and why it is extremely important part of Heroes previous installments' longevity. Ubisoft "team" doesn't have it either, so no one feels any loss.
I doubt I'll ever get completely past that; it's the only game I play. After all the efforts so many made (myself included) ...why user friendly, Map & Campaign Editors and Modding-support ... for a great HoMM game; to have ???, I am still in shock. I finally concluded UBI wants to spoon-feed the community.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 01 Aug 2013, 14:24

markkur wrote:I doubt I'll ever get completely past that; it's the only game I play. After all the efforts so many made (myself included) ...why user friendly, Map & Campaign Editors and Modding-support ... for a great HoMM game; to have ???, I am still in shock. I finally concluded UBI wants to spoon-feed the community.
And turn a "free city" into "daycare center"? I doubt it's a sane idea.

Anyway, I prefer the Hanlon's razor explanation.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 01 Aug 2013, 15:40

:D That could be it but I lean towards...$ in hand. <imo> It's hard for companies to adopt a long-range vision like JVC did so long ago.

Return to “Screenshots”