H6 Dungeon City

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Dungeon City

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jun 2013, 21:26

Quite nice, if you disregard the purple-ness.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=841
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Jun 2013, 06:52

I never understood the fascination with cramming details into every single piece of architecture. The HoMM3 dungeon screen doesn't have any of that, and it's much more realistic-looking. You get an actual feeling of being in a deep underground cave with smaller caves being dwellings.

It isn't just an issue with this game by far, too. For instance, Unreal Tournament 3 also has the same problem in their maps and models. It seems that they just want to show how many details can be shown with modern technology... when said details shouldn't really exist in the first place.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 21 Jun 2013, 10:04

Technology defying common sense is hardly a new Ubisoft invention. :tired:
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Dungeon City

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jun 2013, 14:03

It's a fair point, but reality too is full of such things. If you look at a Reneissance or Romantic church, it's obvious that the artists have really taken their time carving out detailed patterns. So too here - the Drow architects have spent lots of time and efforts creating something intricate.

Were all the factions the same in this regard, I might have agreed that it's more a point of the game developers showing off.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Jun 2013, 17:26

I think you should look at those churches more closely ;) They are decorated, but not nearly as much full of details as what this town shows. There are still a plenty of flat surfaces, symmetry, and a well-defined pattern.

As for other towns, yes, they are a lot more moderate - except for Necropolis (which is half-way between the two) and Inferno (which is pretty much as overloaded as Dungeon).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Dungeon City

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jun 2013, 21:55

The churches are flat surfaces and such, yes, but still detailed. The Sagrada Familia is probably the best example of such a building existing in real life. The main problem I have with these Heroes towns, though, is the lack of variety - it's as if the whole town was built by the same architect in a single decade. No variation, no development over time. I have pointed this out to the makers of MMX and I hope for an improvement in this regard.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

H6 Dungeon City

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Jun 2013, 02:05

The Sagrada Familia though was never intended to be a real church, it was more of a life's work showing off the skills of Gaudi. On the other hand, Medieval churches, especially gothic-style were full of intricate details, then baroque came and brought simplicity and then the Romantic era really f***d all logic and went full berserk on detail, making the Victorian era the most stylistically overdone period of human arts.

Just look at Victorian churches, poems, ornaments and deco objects, even bloody furniture. Just because it ended a century ago, we can't pretend it never happened.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Dungeon City

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2013, 09:47

Such huge churches were exactly the same as the Sagrada in that regard; a way for the architect, the sponsor and the church to show off.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 23 Jun 2013, 23:54

This looks like it should be a Necromancer town. :|

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 24 Jun 2013, 16:39

mr.hackcrag wrote:This looks like it should be a Necromancer town. :|
My thoughts exactly!

In fact...
[img]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4448/lllm.jpg[/img]
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H6 Dungeon City

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Jun 2013, 16:50

Town converted? ;)

Return to “Screenshots”