Heroes VI Glory

Comments about the Pictures of the Day.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Nov 2010, 23:17

A high-level Haven creature known as the "Glory" (aka. the shiny twins). Radiant on the left, blazing on the right. If you can come up with better names, by all means, bring it on ...

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/show_b ... php?id=420
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby JSE » 27 Nov 2010, 02:08

UbiSoft really doesn't seem to understand (or to care?) that most Heroes fans -- including myself -- would like to see classical fantasy creatures rather than highly world-specific ones.

In general, it makes sense to present a game world the way it was meant to be -- but if this includes spider women as Necromancer creatures and tattoed "glorys" for the Knight ranks, maybe the conclusion is that Ashan just isn't a good Heroes setting...

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby michiganjf » 27 Nov 2010, 06:59

Odd, but I've no particular problem with the new creatures if game play is made interesting by creative creature abilities.

I'm curious what these two can do?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Nov 2010, 11:23

I propose the name "Ooh, shiny", and "Ooh, very shiny" for the upgrade.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 27 Nov 2010, 15:53

:lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

They looks pwetty :D
I like the whole idea of new creatures and don't really need them to be classical fantasy creatures. Renewal is great.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby hellegennes » 27 Nov 2010, 16:53

This neon-glow creature doesn't feel like a haven unit to me. More like a bar-woman in a pub fetish night. Oh, here it goes! Let us have the Pub faction, pleeeease!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Nov 2010, 17:44

hellegennes wrote: Let us have the Pub faction, pleeeease!
Seconded! :D

Barkeep, a drink!
- Duke

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby JSE » 27 Nov 2010, 17:52

While I totally respect your view, Milla, I'm quite sure that the original Heroes fascination had a lot to do with the fact that NWC mostly took creatures from Tolkienesque fantasy and mythology.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Nov 2010, 17:58

Oh no they didn't, they used ancient mythological creaatures. Had very, very little to do with Tolkien, except maybe for H3.
- Duke

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby JSE » 27 Nov 2010, 18:12

They used both -- that's why I said "Tolkienesque fantasy and mythology". I didn't mean "Tolkien mythology" but real world mythology. ;)

When I say "Tolkienesque" I mean the way the elves, dwarves, goblins, orcs, and halflings were designed. Tolkien of course didn't "invent" elves or dwarves, but he gave them their characteristic traits which have become fantasy standards.

The Heroes games used these standards just like Warhammer (and Warcraft) did.
Edited on Sat, Nov 27 2010, 13:12 by JSE

Warmonger
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warmonger » 27 Nov 2010, 18:22

New creatures are never bad, but ODD creatures replacing original ones (vide Light Cavalry) are somewhat not expected. These could be support / alternative units like H4 bestiary, but definitely not core army. You can't have both good, old lineup and tons of new creations.
VCMI : the future of Heroes 3!
People just don't care.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 27 Nov 2010, 20:30

Again i wonder how will the mapmakers, who use a different lore from the official one, explain these spirits? Or will all mapmakers now be forced to stick to the official lore?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby hellegennes » 27 Nov 2010, 21:09

While I totally respect your view, Milla, I'm quite sure that the original Heroes fascination had a lot to do with the fact that NWC mostly took creatures from Tolkienesque fantasy and mythology.

More like ancient Greek mythology (25% in H3) + other mythological beasts. Take H3 Tower, for example. Gremlin = English folklore, Gargoyle = various from antiquity (but Heroes' concept is Teutonic), Golem = Jewish, Genie = Arabic, Mage = general concept, Naga = Hindu, Giant/Titan = Greek.

Where is Tolkien? Sure, there are halfings and goblins and trolls, which are conceptually taken from Tolkien and not the original folklore but this is just it. All the other units are either human, supernatural or mythological.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Nov 2010, 21:44

Pitsu wrote:Again i wonder how will the mapmakers, who use a different lore from the official one, explain these spirits? Or will all mapmakers now be forced to stick to the official lore?
Apparently a wizard did it.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby JSE » 28 Nov 2010, 15:52

@ Pitsu: Exactly! The mapmaking versatility is a very important point to consider and it's one of the reasons why more "generic" creatures fit much better into a Heroes game than "specific" ones -- like the Glory...

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby hellegennes » 28 Nov 2010, 21:22

Here's your explanation: they retired after the events of Heroes VI, which come before those of H5.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby JSE » 28 Nov 2010, 23:15

That would explain the situation for custom-made scenarios set on Ashan. Many fans, however, create scenarios (and campaigns) set in different fantasy worlds -- making it quite difficult to incorporate highly specific creatures.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby hellegennes » 29 Nov 2010, 04:01

You are right. Though they can explain their existence with events that they place to occur on these different settings/realms. These can be just events or whole maps. But I understand the complications and implications of introducing non-generic units.

Fuddelbaerentatze
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Glory

Unread postby Fuddelbaerentatze » 29 Nov 2010, 11:01

Highly specific creatures vs. ordinary standard creatures should not be the problem - in an ideal world. Because in an ideal world, we will be provided with an map/campaign editor and tools that will allow us to change all that so we are free to set up lore and bestiary to our own tastes. I wonder what a certain mapmaker/modder now working for Ubisoft could tell us about such aspirations.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 29 Nov 2010, 12:29

I am certainly not against new unique creatures, by i want then to be an addition, not replacement of general ones. If the two remaining factions would be academy and naga, then vanilla H6 would not have an elf, dwarf, unicorn, troll or ogre?
I think reskinning of models and altering their function (e.g. switching abilities or setting creatures as structures) is as far as the modding goes. Doubtful that they would allow us to edit the models themselves and this work is a pain to do anyway.

Return to “Screenshots”