H3 Update: Creature Dwellings

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

H3 Update: Creature Dwellings

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 18 Jan 2009, 01:29

I'm proud to fire off the new year of 2009 with something I should have finished a while ago: the Heroes III <a href="/https://www.celestialheavens.com/673">dwellings</a> page!

It's rather long (if that is an issue, it will be split into two pages), but it contains every dwelling from Restoration of Erathia all the way through Armageddon's Blade and Shadow of Death to WoG 6.38 and a brief description follows each. Enjoy!

Keep your eyes peeled for another article coming from me soon: a depthful review of Katauri's recent King's Bounty: The Legend. Until then, heroes!

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/673
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Creature Dwellings

Unread postby Fnord » 18 Jan 2009, 04:05

Good work, CloudRiderX. And I'm sure it took a long time to do all the screen shots. I found a few small errors and have a few suggestions:

Corrections:

1. In the news entry you wrote "WoG 6.38" -- it should be "WoG 3.58".

2. As far as I can see you missed one dwelling: the Elemental Conflux (the one that sells all four elemental types).

3. The Faerie Dragon dwelling's name in the map editor is incorrect. The editor calls it "Lavender Lofts" but in the game it's actually called "Magic Forest".

4. You recruit Peasants at the Hovel (not Halflings) and they're free.

5. The Thatched Hut (Halflings) is also free.

6. The Golem Factory allows you to recruit Stone, Iron, Gold and Diamond Golems.

7. There's also an alternative Gnoll dwelling that appeared in one of the original RoE maps (I believe) that could be copy/pasted into other maps in the editor. The look is quite different (looks almost like a Seer's Hut) but functions the same as a regular Gnoll dwelling. I don't recall which map it came from but perhaps someone remembers.

Suggestions:

It would make the list much more useful to also include the following information:

1. Number of creatures available each week.

2. Cost of one creature.

3. Number of guards you have to fight (if any).

Re: My Suggestion #3 -- I don't believe this information is available elsewhere so it's definitely of use. As far as I know, you never have to fight at dwellings that sell level 1-4 creatures but do have to fight at dwellings that sell level 5+ creatures. I'm not sure if the number of guards is always consistent by level or not but would be great information to include here. Note that although the Golem Factory is a level 3 dwelling, it also sells higher level Golems and therefore you do have to fight there (I think it's guarded by Gold Golems if I recall or may be a mix of different types).

Another brief note: It's been awhile since I've actually played WoG (mostly playing SoD with a friend lately) but I think the WoG Team made the Santa Gremlins at the Snowman available in a different way--either they accumulate weekly or there are some available every day instead of every week or something like that. Worth checking out and noting here I think. :)

In a similar vein it may be worth noting that (depending on WoG setting) the level 8 dwellings may only have a single L8 creature available when the dwelling is captured (and again when it changes hands) and thereafter the creatures appear in an allied town of the same type next to the L7 creatures (as long as the L7 dwelling is built). The alternative setting allows the L8 dwellings to function like regular dwellings instead (one L8 creature is available each week at the dwelling.)
Edited on Sat, Jan 17 2009, 23:18 by Fnord
- Fnord

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Creature Dwellings

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 18 Jan 2009, 04:33

Ah, Fnord, you never miss a beat.

Fixed those errors. Also added teh individual confluxes from RoE.

About the extra info, things like unit cost and weekly growth are in the creature section. I could put that stuff in here too, but it might be redundant. However, I am strongly considering putting info about the special WoG level 8 units and their availability. I'll also look into the santa gremlin dwelling. Thanks for the corrections!
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 18 Jan 2009, 05:16

ZOMG a Fnord sighting! :-D
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Creature Dwellings

Unread postby Labyrinth » 18 Jan 2009, 13:29

I see a pointy bracket missing:

"Dragon Cave

Allows visiting armies to recruit Red Dragons.

/td> "
What the #$*! do we know?

Marcus333
Pixie
Pixie

Creature Dwellings

Unread postby Marcus333 » 18 Jan 2009, 15:38

Wow, I gotta try out that WoG sometime.

And great job with the page btw!
Edited on Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:39 by Marcus333

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Jan 2009, 18:19

I don't recall which map it came from but perhaps someone remembers.
That would be Gelea's Champions, in the southern swamp underground, just south of the neutral Fortress.

Fnord, you're alive!! :hoo:

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 19 Jan 2009, 22:22

Great job indeed :-D
Well organized, although the number of creatures/week would be a nice update in the future :tsup:
One last thing:HotA is going to be released soon, so more in the future.....
Thanks!

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Creature Dwellings

Unread postby Fnord » 20 Jan 2009, 03:38

Hey CloudRider, Vlaad, Corlagon and everyone,

Yes, it's true..the rumors of my demise were greatly exaggerated. ;)

Thanks for the map info, Corlagon!

CloudRiderX, thanks for the quick corrections. :) I don't think listing cost and number available would be redundant unless you included a direct link to the appropriate creature page next to each dwelling. But in any event, number of guards isn't listed elsewhere so it would still be great to list it here if you have time.

I just took a look at the Adventure Objects page (also well done!) and noticed a few errors there plus some useful information that would be great to add. I'll write another comment on that page for you to check out.
Edited on Mon, Jan 19 2009, 22:38 by Fnord
- Fnord

Return to “Articles”