Skills

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 13 Feb 2006, 16:44

DaemianLucifer wrote:@dragonn

But it is way better not to have maxed out heroes.It adds to the strategy.If you know that youll max out all of your skill,it looses a lot on suspense.If you know that youll be able to max just one,or maybe two skills,than youll need to choose your path wisely.

But this system is nice too,although it might even be better if you had 4,or 5 levels instead of just 3.And yes,it needs a lot of balancing(eagle eye and grail vision are almost useless,for example).
About maxing out skills- most heroes start with 2 levels' worth of secondary skills, and 1 ability. To max out everything (6x3=18 secondary skill levels, 25 abilities) takes 40 levels. If level progression is anything like previous games, a 40th level hero is unlikely to appear without lots of boosting sites (trees of knowledge, witch huts, etc.). I think that maxed out heroes will not be at all common in multiplayer, and infrequent at best in single-player maps (except where the map designer WANTS to get heroes maed out) Compare this to heroes 2/3, where you would max out at level 22, normally. This was a very common occurrance.
Not having played H4, I do not know easy it was to gain the levels to max out there.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Feb 2006, 16:48

Actually, since there are so many abilities out there, a decent hero can go on to at least level 40 without being maxed out. Seems fair enough to me. The skill system is IMHO one of the strong points of the game as of now.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Sandro123
Pixie
Pixie

Skills

Unread postby Sandro123 » 15 Feb 2006, 15:03

there are quite more skills to that! Where is the archery, for example? I do not agree with bonuses that offence and defence give, they do not seem good enough. 15% for offence is too little, there should be a noticable change in the percentage, e.g. 10% for Basic, 25% for Advanced and Expert gives 50%.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Skills

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Feb 2006, 15:13

theres no archery skill because the sylvan ranger seems to be the only heroes using a bow.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Feb 2006, 19:35

Archery is an ability associated with offense now, which is fine by me.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Amgor II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skills

Unread postby Amgor II » 18 Feb 2006, 21:33

Looks good to me
In the world of the Dead, its nice to be alive,I think.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 18 Feb 2006, 23:09

Currently the system looks very well structured. The H4 system was awkward because each skill had to have 5 levels. This new structure looks better because it allows for single skills, (or abilities, should I say) without the need for multiple levels, thus widening the range of different ability effects that can be presented. Currently I am quite content with the H5 system.

PS: But, by all rights 'skills' should end with a 'z.'

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Skills

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Feb 2006, 19:28

I agree with the senbonzakura guy. It's better structured than I thought.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 23 Feb 2006, 23:23

:D First person to recognize it.
Happy Millenium!

Return to “Articles”