Tribes of the East ￾→ Flying to the Rescue ￾→ A

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
ultimitsu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ultimitsu » 07 Jul 2010, 02:45

what i find is that there is no point in getting ultimate for zehir, i had his ultimate and it was useless for most major fights, because with huge stack of units, destructive and summon magic are useless, while moral is much more important. my first try on biara failed quickly, so i spend sometime designed a better zehir.

my final built had dark magic (M.pain, M.mind, C.soil), light magic (M.bless, M.wrath, S.wind for slowdown devil) Leadersip (secondary abilities are all useless, but +3 moral is vital in final battle), Defense (evasion, protection, laststand, my plan was resurrect last stand unit, but i dont think i actually did), attack (frenzy, archery, flaming arrow. I was debating between attack and sorcery, i decided on attack because attack gives me +15% attack for all my units, while socery gives me +30% for just zehir himself, and all my units combined must do more than zehir.

once you got your city, never carry any mage and titans when you go around killing wild monsters, this way you perserve all mage and titans for final battle. i ended up with 137 shadow matriarchs (from secondary objective) + 120 mages + 65 titans + 4 tier 7 stacks, i waited for about a month after they appear, so by the time i used them they were 94 each instead of 75 as they initially appeared.

With this build, i was able to take down biara fairly easily, i am not sure what i did, but this time none of her creatured used gating!

Kujin's fight was by far the hardest, u really had to rely very heavily on earth daughters and keep goblin numbers high, it was also rather boring as you had onlt one particular way to play.

Stagedrengen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stagedrengen » 16 Aug 2010, 16:45

Something is wrong. When the four stacks appear in front of Biara, there's only 37 of each of them! Is it because im playing on easy. And also Gotai only have one goblin in my game. Not even close to 500 cyclops. So thats really my problem any help?

GKey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GKey » 31 Aug 2010, 10:49

Kujin's Heroic 3.1.

I had no gold for memory mentor in C2M4, so Kujin left with all useless skills (expert logistics, triple flaming ballista) and without shatter dark at all. She had expert luck and leadership though.

Hopeless situation.

Took me more then 10 attempts, but then I found a way. And yes its beatable on heroic version 3.1 without any cheats or bug exploits!

Grats, Nival, the last battle of the last expansion SHOULD be hard like this!

Place centaurs in left corner, covered by wyverns. Cyclops in mid with shamans between them (behind if you have tactics). Make sure untamed are closer to the gate then bloodeyed.

Chieftains whipping cyclops.

Cyclops shoot/melee attack hell-hounds/fire-hounds/Cerberus - first priority. Don't move them inside! Only when you cleaned all rest move them inside and kill succubus

Earth daughters slow succubus! So their turn comes AFTER Kujin's. after that use them for attacks - they do excellent damage.

Kujin do nothing but cast fear my roar on succubus till the end of the battle. Don't let them seduce any of your stack!

Shamans cast defile magic on demon hero non stop.

That way you will not get seduced/frenzied even if you don't have shatter dark like me! (If you do get seduced/frenzied you probably lost - reload)

I think Nival tested this through and removed summoning ability from arch devils. At least in my game (and I have replayed it many times) arch-devils did not summon pit lords, so you can leave them for after you finish dogs which are the main treat. Try use cyclops AOE attacks to full extent. Worked like a charm for me.

I can upload replay if anyone still needs it.

luthe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby luthe » 12 Nov 2010, 19:15

I read in the Walkthroughs that

Plan B normal: Give 900 Cyclops to Kujin. from Gotai and then you can win against the third inferno boss.

But my question is, how in the world can I give the 900 Cyclops to Gotai ?? As soon as Zehir wins his battle, Kujin just attack directly - I cant press any buttons or make her stop. Is that right?

And before all of that happens, I cant even se Gotai or Kujin.

So how and when is there time to transfer the 900 Cyclops ??

Sry for my bad english, I hope you understand.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 13 Nov 2010, 07:28

I'm pretty sure this has been fixed in the latest patch. Gotai now doesn't even have 900 cyclops

And indeed, you can't make Kujin or Gotai stop. But you can press the quicksave button ;)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Elrath
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Elrath » 25 Nov 2010, 17:07

OMG!!!I'm playing on Easy, but on month9 week4 day1 i summoned the Storm Titans and they apeared in front of Zehir in a flying saucer called Plate. IT WAS A level1 WARLOCK with an imp/gargoyle icon!!! No, im NOT kidding and I am NOT halucinating! If anyone else has seen this, please reply!

Elrath
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Elrath » 26 Nov 2010, 13:07

I let Kujin die...it took about a year(in-game), but I won. My advice for the Biara battle is to use PUPPET MASTER LIKE CRAZY(on the succubusses and the devils mostly)!Oh, and 150 Storm Titans whoop *ss in melee combat-60 Arch demons got killed on retaliation!!!

Dstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dstr » 19 Dec 2010, 13:54

on heroic, ver 3.1... very easy mission along the mini-boss fights. I'd give it a 3/5 index.

I tried several times with Freyda because the AI PMed the champions... but if you don't use benediction, the AI won't cast it anymore because I think you can cleanse the spell.

That becomes a very easy battle as well...

I put it on youtube, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTG2EczvzMw

I couldn't even see Gotai... I was very disappointed because of this (I won the Kujin battle and no trace of Gotai)...

Anyway nice game after all! I couldn't think I had so much fun with it after hearing from others of boredom, can't have perfect victories etc.

lightmagic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lightmagic » 17 Jan 2011, 07:20

Just uploaded a series of combat videos on youtube as references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuLSoICcjI

And follow the video responses.
Edited on Mon, Jan 17 2011, 23:42 by lightmagic

xiilus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xiilus » 11 Feb 2011, 17:46

I've tried all three combos of other magics with summoning: light, dark, and destruction. All are effective, but if you've never tried it, summoning destruction is extremely fun. You can win most fights with magnetics golems and armageddon, especially using last stand on size twos.

The entire reason I even tried this combo was to try out Exorcism, the ability that doubles damage on summoned/gated stacks. The size of Biara's army is very large, but armageddon's total damage was extremely high; once gated stacks were out it was hitting up to ten stacks at a time, for thousands of damage apiece. I brought many magentic golems to the fight, as well as a huge stack of magic resistant Kshatras, and the Black Dragons and Magma Dragons. Then I summoned a Phoenix. Four units completely immune to armageddon, and every cast brings over a dozen magnetic golems back.

The dragons fell to enemy attacks, but huge stacks of elementals rose in their place. Water and Wind sadly fell quickly to armageddon spam, but resistant Earth and Immune Fire kept enemy stacks off my magnetics the whole match. I made it through the fight without losing a single golem on heroic. Maybe 90% of the damage I did was destructive.

xiilus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xiilus » 11 Feb 2011, 17:59

Most people's troubles with Kujin seem to be the result of an unprepared setup. My favorite build for her involves Leadership->Empathy, Shout->Shout of Rage, and Enlightenment->Bloodfire. The other two choices are optional. Since she can't max out her skills at 26, I only take Basic Enlightenment; Bloodfire is the main goal here.

Between Empathy and Expert Shout, Kujin acts extremely frequently. Then Shout of Rage, Bloodfire, and Kujin's specialty combine to gets rage levels up to 1000 on all troops very fast.

Taking Empathy means no Aura of Swiftness or Battle Elation, so Recruitment is also not worth taking. If you take Estates, you will have significantly more money in Kujin's second mission, especially useful for retraining skills (including removing Estates for the final battle).

perhannson
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby perhannson » 13 Feb 2011, 16:55

I need a help. I took wrong skills with Kujin, and now I can't pass her fight in this mission.

If I want to re-do it in memory mentor, do I have to pass all the missions till this last one AGAIN?

Please hlp.

Dstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dstr » 13 Feb 2011, 17:10

@perhannson

if you are patient, I'll find a save before the battle and I'll put the battle on youtube... I don't remember her skill anymore but maybe it helps if you try to do it in a similar way.

I think I'll do it in a week maximum.. good luck in the meantime!

perhannson
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby perhannson » 13 Feb 2011, 17:25

Ye, as I can't control the catapult, it destroyes the castle so all creatures comes out. And I tried 40 different battles that I can't win. Ok, so I cant do the 1 last mission where I can change Kujins, I must do it all?

tnx

Dstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dstr » 20 Feb 2011, 16:19

as promised... I hope this will help you and others having trouble with this fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4ocliQ1KY

I'm sry I don't remember anymore the skills chosen for Kujin. good luck!

ps: it's on heroic, I think you should do it too!
Edited on Sun, Feb 20 2011, 11:22 by Dstr

Karmaz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Karmaz » 29 Mar 2011, 15:33

Cant get Kujin to stop! And the battle is freakin impossible!! help pls

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 12 May 2011, 22:01

Karmaz, I'm a couple of months late but here are some principles to follow when playing Kujin.

1) Keep the goblins alive and doing their Defile Magic dance. That, together with Kujin's might over magic and her shatter dark ability (if you got it), will keep any nasty dark magic spells from doing harm.

2) Use Fear My Roar nonstop on the succubi. If Kujin gets more turns (she should, since her initiative keeps rising when morale is triggered), use Anger of the Horde. Don't let the succubi do their seducing, because it's an ability that can't be toned down with Shatter Dark/ Might over Magic.

When the enemy hero casts puppet master, it can be for as little as 0.15 of a turn meaning the spell will often wear out before any damage is done. But when succubi cast seduce, it always lasts 2.0 of a turn (at least that's my experience from several seductions on different troops).

3) Use cyclopses to keep doing goblin throws at the dogs to whittle them down.

4) Use untamed cyclopses to block the gate and inflict maximum damage on the dogs. You should be able to whack 2 dogs at any time. Keep using chieftains to cheer on the cyclopses, so that they can move before dogs and keep whacking without retaliation.

Try to have everybody (Bloodyeyed cyclopses and centaurs also) aim at the same stack as the untamed. That way, the stack being hit goes down in number and inflicts weaker retaliations.

5) Suicide-mission your wyverns inside the castle to hit the succubi. They should be able to stay alive for 1 full turn, enough to deal a lot of poison and keep succubi from blasting your troops outside. If you have bought one full turn this way, you can cast Anger of the Horde at least once which will wipe out at least 110 succubi.

6) The real heroines are the earth daughters. Try to keep them alive. They do the most damage and are needed to run inside the castle to kill the succubi later, because chances are the succubi survive to the end.

7) Don't bother fighting summoned stacks. Yes, summoned dogs hurt as bad. And you may wonder why in late game we must charge everybody in to get that last succubi, when there are 2000+ dogs and pit spawns outside - but your priority is to kill all un-summoned stacks. They die, you win.
Edited on Fri, May 13 2011, 03:28 by cjlee

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 May 2011, 09:58

Some other observations since I just played the last campaign again and fought each boss fight several times. I'm going to deliberately offer a few different approaches from Maltz, as it works well and probably can help some people overcome their difficulties.

(All played on heroic.)

1) Wulfstan:

-The best build is a spellcaster build, with intelligence/ enlightenment. Zehir functions well without his ring of sar issues, so I recommend giving Wulfstan the ring before you finish Mission3.

-Without a spellcaster/intelligence/ ring of sar issues build, it becomes harder. In that case, I strongly recommend not to fight without plenty of resources. If Wulfstan runs out of mana, your troops will need to fight harder. He can keep refreshing runes. In my tries using a low-Mana Wulfstan, the damage dealers (Thanes and Beserkers) pretty much maxed out all their runes, got triple cost, refreshed, and got to triple cost again.

-Crowd your dwarves together to get dwarf formation benefits.

-You don’t need mass confusion, mass haste, mass righteous might or mass deflect missle. I’ve won a bunch of times without them.

-Neither do you need to block the front gate with thanes. As a Dwarf, you have one of the most fantastic spells, Rune of Battle Rage! Let the enemy masses come and battle rage everybody!

My experience is that blocking the front gate with thanes is very costly. Inevitably you are fighting Nightmares. These guys move more than your Thanes and hit very hard, so all you are getting is more dead Thanes. In my version of Heroes V Complete, the AI seems to work differently and the castle isn't crowded with summons inside.

-Dwarves have great defense, poor ranged and poor attacking. So your strategy is to huddle together, take the hits, let the enemy come to you.

-Dwarves have great rune magic to overcome their crappy attack. Let the enemy get near, so that you can use nasty runes like Berserking (2 attacks) or Battle Rage (attack all enemies).

Since you get retaliated when you use Rune of Berserking, one way is to let the Defenders make the first attack. The enemy will hit back, slaughter some defenders (pissing off Elrath), and then you can use your Thanes and Berserkers to hit the enemy twice each using Rune of Berserking. Whatever is left of the enemy can be killed with Vengeance.

-Enemy has puppet mastered your guys? Ignore the PM! How much damage can a dwarf do? You can easily wipe out 70-110 succubi in one Divine Vengeance which is more worth it than casting cleansing. Besides, the enemy has almost infinite mana (from corpses) so it isn't worth your while to engage in a magic duel.

-Only cast cleansing if it is your Thanes who are being PMed.

-keep the ranged attackers separate, preferably with Godzillas between. Godzillas cannot be PM-ed. That way, you always have one ranged attacker ready to provoke the succubi. Yes, go ahead and piss them off!

(Fact is, there isn't any realistic way to counter the succubi other than Divine Vengeance. Your ranged attackers suck, your destructive magic sucks, your Thanes are too precious to TP inside the castle.)

-Take casualties. Don't resurrect. You're too weak to resurrect. Even at this late stage I'm resurrecting only a few thanes at one go. And my Wulfstan is level 27!

-Do not let your stacks die off! Don't let Demon lord consume the corpse! As long as you have even 1 unit, it can resurrect 40% nonstop (twice plus Wulfstan’s refreshing, although I've never found the need to resurrect more than 2x). That's far better than using Wulfstan to resurrect!)

-When battle opens, don't waste a precious spellcasting turn on casting anything other than cleansing, mass deflect missle or mass endurance (not a game-loser if you don't have them).

-After about 3 turns, you should be able to cast divine vengeance with a serious vengeance. All enemy ranged and most devils should be killable with divine vengeance.

-Before the enemy starts coming out, don't wait anybody because it increases their initiative. Keep defending and shooting. You don't want your dwarves to move too fast, because it gives enemy puppet master a chance to work before you cleanse it!

-After enemy comes out, dispense with cleansing, have everybody spam runes to the max and spam divine vengeance as often as the enemy spams puppet master. Remember game is over when all original demons die, regardless of mental state of your dwarfs!

-There are three enemy ranged units. After enough damage has been taken, cast divine vengeance.

-I killed all succubi with spells! (Divine Vengeance and Firewall solely!)

2) Freyda

-Remember her specialty? That’s the key to winning with her, no matter what your build is!

-Even if you have the worst possible build, you should have at least 60 mana. That’s tough but winnable.

-As I’ve mentioned in a post made in 2009: cluster everybody around the Big Shield Guys. Try not to give the champions room to spear 2 guys at one go, just in case enemy PMs him. You can put him on the side with angels next to them - they still have enough room to charge at the gate if anyone comes out.

-Defend with all your units except the ranged ones. Do not haste them or raise anybody’s initiative with divine guidance unless there is something urgent to do (e.g. enemy standing at gate that you want to kill). You don’t want unexpected PMs and units acting before you can cleanse. At least 1 stack will be wiped out by PM and there’s nothing you can do.

-Defend! Elrath will help you with free vengeances, so nonstop cleansing or casting of endurance/ deflect missle is all Freyda needs to do. Even if you can cast the mass version, I recommend not if you don’t have enough mana - use the cheaper spells.

-Once 20 champions or more and down, use the Archangels to resurrect the champions. It sucks if enemy PMs them and uses the resurrect on their succubi!

-Not necessary to have Frenzy, Confusion, Vampiricism or Puppet Master. Nival has already given you cleansing and the free divine vengeance, which is all you need. (You may not have enough mana for Mass Deflect Missle so I’m not recommending it; Inquisitors can also cast Deflect Missle)

-Whenever the enemy has 1 unit left thanks to ‘last man standing’, quickly kill it to save Elrath’s wrath for the strong enemies. You have 2 ranged attackers, 1 hero and 2 flying units - this shouldn’t be hard!

-Don’t cast resurrection if you didn't go for a spellcaster build which I prefer. When I played Freyda as a knight, her spell power is too weak and her mana is too limited. Besides, if you really, really die - you have Guardian Angel!

Edited on Fri, May 13 2011, 09:01 by cjlee

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 May 2011, 13:01

3) Kujin

-Winnable on heroic without shatter dark. The odds are much narrower, though, and you can expect 1-2 stacks to be totally wiped out thanks to PM. For instance, in one try I was left with 3 earth daughters and over 2000 enemy dogs (summoned) were still alive. I’ve won on 3 of 4 tries without Shatter Dark.

-If you don’t have shatter dark, keep your units apart. Since you can’t keep them together without risking a PM followed by an area-of-effect damage from a Cyclops stack, you’ll have to keep charging in using chieftains to whip Cyclops and using Horde’s Anger/ Fear My Roar whenever possible.

-The Cyclops are quite crucial because they do area damage on a crowded battlefield. Inevitably, some of the enemy stacks will get hit no matter how the enemy PMs the unit.

-Even Frenzy can be your friend. On one try, the enemy Frenzied my Earth Daughters for 2 turns. They killed 57 goblins (damage absorbed by rage) on first turn, on second turn wiped out 200+ enemy dogs since the goblins had run away!

-My tries using a Kujin without shatter dark on Heroic are very painful and hard to describe. There is too much that is random (dogs running everywhere, goblins fleeing from attacks, PM-ed cyclopses hitting both enemy units and my units, etc.) However, one theme remains clear: YOU ARE OUTNUMBERED, so pick your targets! Don’t even bother to kill one summoned dog, it won’t count towards victory!

-Even if there is no original target in reach, it is better to wait or move towards the target and ignore the huge, nasty, painful dogs nipping at your cyclopses. Don’t take an unnecessary action (killing summoned stacks) and send the Cyclops down the ATB bar which isn’t worth it.

-When you don’t have shatter dark, because you can’t keep discipline in your ranks (Thanks to PM) you can’t do a ranged game when cyclopses firing goblins into the enemy. In that case don’t bother to defile magic with the goblins - might as well attack with them because 2000+ of them can do some severe damage.

4) Yhalya

-On some of my tries, the enemy did try to camp and hit me several times with Armageddon. But they always followed by rushing out.

-I think putting confusion and deep freeze on the Succubi mistresses early on is a 100% must. There is no alternative, unlike Wulfstan and Freyda who can take losses and cast Divine Vengeance.

-You can encourage computer to make another bad choice by casting slow with matriarchs. The AI keeps hasting the succubi in response, so no nasty PMs or Phantom images.

-These Succubi can be destroyed or greatly reduced by flying your black dragons in on a suicide mission. It’s ok to lose all dragons; the real damage here comes from blood furies, matriarchs and lizards.

-Try to keep Blood Sisters alive. Their super-high initiative and no-retaliation is necessary for killing anybody who comes out.

-On different tries, the enemy seems to prefer different spells. I don’t know why. I suspect it is randomized.

5) Zehir

Winning this is easy because Biara lacks sorcery and a combination of sar-issues artifacts that help Zehir get spellcasting turns more quickly.

If you got Dark Magic, you know what to do.

If you got Summoning Magic, just keep summoning phantom Archangels to fly inside and demolish everything. Biara will counter the phantom stack with Armageddon, which hurts her even more thanks to her gated stacks, lower HP demons and their lack of artificer artifacts to reduce magic vulnerability.

I’ve also tried playing this with Zehir as a Leader casting Divine Guidance (I also had Arcane Omnisence and logistics). It was quite disastrous until I figured out that other units were meant to die/ steal retaliations so that Archangels could hit without penalty. Archangels do the most damage and move the most often, so they’re necessary for winning using this unusual skill combination.

[I would say playing Zehir as a Leader is the most risky but amusing way to play. With the other builds, you know you’re guaranteed a victory.]

Nokao
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nokao » 16 Sep 2011, 14:40

I would really add to your guide, to make a new hero in the tavern and to kill the enemies at the market for him.

After that, he will be able to change useless resources into gems for the weekly units creation.

That's so important IMHO.

Thanks very much for your guides !

Return to “Articles”