Tribes of the East → To Honor our Fathers → One

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Maciek
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Maciek » 07 Jan 2010, 16:34

The thing about teal is that they don't always attack you periodically. For one, they attacked me once only(week 6, day 5), but my battles with gotai from here:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/200038 ... eplays.zip

should give you an idea of how to use last stand and 10 vywerns to (hopefully) beat teal with a small army, so you could use a large one to explore.

btw. Does anybody know what actually triggers numerous strong teal attacks? I'd like to beat them sometime in the future and for this I will need to get them to cross that portal.

dot44
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dot44 » 15 May 2010, 17:55

Like many before, have not been able to get the talisman so that I can summon boat...very frustrating!!

dot44
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dot44 » 15 May 2010, 20:14

I don't know what the Talisman is but I have been waiting at the wagon for a year with both Heroes. I assume Kujin is the one but it never seems to show up.

Shimdra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shimdra » 14 Jun 2010, 22:46

Normal v3.0

Looking back at the walkthrough it seems I didn't really follow any of the advice I would have had otherwise. Not a big problem, since I got through alright.The toughest battles were actually the sea battles (even though Lethos was technically tougher.)

Started by taking Orange ASAP.

Brown never sent troops. Took brown within the month.

Teal sent a hero through in Early month 2. Had to chase him to the Syllana's Ancient and lost a fair chunk of troops, but nothing major.

Defeated all three purple heroes in one go. (Sailed north of the first island I found. One hero popped up from the whirlpool, another sailed past me the next day. Second hero was close enough to take by simply backtracking a bit.) After summoning a few cyclops took Lethos on, though I lost so many slayers in this run that I never managed to recover thier numbers.

Final battle was fairly brutal, but again, by this time I had all sorts of numbers.

A few things seem critical here: PaoKai, Centaur Marauders, and Goblin Trappers. Reason: Troop Conservation

PaoKai don't automatically regenerate and their attack is divided amongst nearby troops, but they can eat a dead stack to recover more numbers than regeneration can. This makes them excellent blocking troops for the Marauders or forward strike units. Marauders have more defense than the other centaurs and suffer no melee penalty. This means they will always do full damage (especially since enemy troops will always be harassing them) and more will survive by the end of combat. (By the end of the mission I had about 500 of them.) Goblin trappers have a chance of reducing the movement of enemy troops. Strategically placed, a trap can prevent an otherwise deadly stack from making a mess of your carefully placed units across the field, giving you more time for Marauders to one-hit-wonder large stacks.

I was so disappointed to start mission 3 with such a weak Gotai! If only Kujin were here...

Kaede45
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaede45 » 08 Jul 2010, 18:23

I'm not sure if its just me (I do have a ton of mods installed) but for some reason, I get to day 4 of the first week, end my turn, then when Teal's turn begins the game just crashes. I ran a couple of scans on the TotE folder but they came up negative. has anyone else experienced problem, or rather, can anyone help me come up with a solution?

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 23 Jul 2010, 08:09

Though the walkthrough offers some sound tips I feel it diverges from an optimal play in some crucial points.

1. you can capture the ore pit on day 2. First time I played this map I won against 3 stacks of dancers; through a fixed sequence of moves/traps. Coming to a working sequence involves a loooooot of trial and error and pen and paper work though.

*BUT*, recently I discovered that IF you engage the dancers with Toulain with full army, war machines and artifact AND there are 41 wind dancers or less, they will be combined into a single stack. And that makes the battle easy.

2. you can capture the gold mine somewhere in week 2. That is, IF you capture the military post in the first week. Still no easy battle though

A short description of what the first week should look like imo:

d1: get Sawmill (make sure you turn a max number of goblins), pick gold from chest. d2: K upgrades goblins to trappers, transfer everything to T, T captures ore pit, K moves towards T a bit. d3: T does crypt and moves towards K, K picks up army and defeats lvl3 magic shrine guardians. d4: K moves towards alch lab, T picks up army, upgrades centaurs and moves towards spearwielders. d5: T defeats spearwielders and transfers army back to K.

K is now sufficiently armed to clear most along the way.

If you play correctly you should be able to buy a citadel on d6 and a city hall on d7. Easy when the first chest gives 2000 gold; else you will need to defeat the earth elementals for the second chest. And if you're extremely unlucky (like me) the second chest will give you an artifact and thus screw up your building plan :/

A brief note on creature choices: while I agree with the mentioned heroic-attack rule of thumb, I don't think this applies to the mentioned examples. Warriors are not cost-effective for clearing on heroic so are best used in castle defense. So the warmonger upgrade is much better.

As for centaurs; I think the 2 extra shots or the +1 speed and no melee penalty pretty much even out. Manoeuvre is pointless. That leaves +12.5% damages vs +100% defense and +10% hits. The question is when this difference in stats will be crucial in preventing army losses. Will it be vs melee units? Most unlikely. The threat comes from ranged units and then the centaur marauder is the obvious choice
Edited on Fri, Jul 23 2010, 04:10 by wimfrits
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Wikingking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wikingking » 06 Jan 2011, 21:24

I don't know if anyone read this page nowdays, but I have big trouble completing this mission. I play on hard difficulty, and try to do what Maltz says, though in my game, thing are different.

For example brown never does anything. He simply waits for me to reach his castle. So I waited for week 2 day 1 before reaching the first castle, to get the town upgrades. I tried to keep my troops alive as much as I could. After the week of gold (around 4th or 5th week I think) I've crossed the border, by defeating the garrison units, with reasonable losses. But. After I cross the garrison, teal starts to act with haste, and with devastating power. A very strong teal hero appears ASAP, and always seeks my heroes before confront Kujin in the town garrison, so I have to wait taking brown, and have to sacrifice Toulain. With the might of the flaming ballista, and my Centaurs, I managed to take out her catapult, and after a few more rounds and losses, she retreated. OK, I'm the man I thought. Wrong. She immediately send another hero, at least 4 times stronger than the first (and my only chance was garrison against her...), armed with 40(!) bloodeyes cyclops, and few hundred of each tier (1-5). This would be quite a fight with a mission 5 Arantir from the previous campaign, and impossible with Kujin, no matter what happens. This new hero also has 'War Machines', so her catapult is much stronger, and can take much more. Just how am I supposed to win such an unfair battle!? Please help!

My Kujin is around level 15, with Attack (flaming arrows and Archery), Enlightment (level 3), War Machines (no ballista though), Luck (+3 on default). Actually, she's stroneger than any of the enemy heroes, but those armies are ridiculously large. Against the first teal I have about 200 Centaur nomads, 300 goblins (trappers), 150 level 3, 3 cyclops, 50 sky daughters, and 40 level 5s (not the chieftains but the other, executioner maybe, I play in Hungarian).

I've just read below, that someone had the same 'problem' I had, against hordes of 6th and 7th tiers and zounds of lowers. I don't want to start over the campaign on normal (that would be shameful, and I have no garantee that teal weaks enough). HELP!
Edited on Thu, Jan 06 2011, 16:48 by Wikingking

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 07 Jan 2011, 08:58

I'm pretty sure that the developer's intention is that you're expelled from the first area by these teal forces, gather everything you have and take to the sea. So that could be your plan B

If you don't want to do that, mind that teal heroes will keep coming! As you want Kujin to continue exploring, Toulain has to be charged with defense sooner or later. Sooner ofcourse would be better.
An important factor is that Toulain gets triple ballista and preferably flaming arrows. The lvl3 magic shrine is useful to check periodically if Toulain is on the right development path.

In the first defenses, centre fire on the catapult. Then either the goblins or the centaurs (depending whether the goblins are next to the cyclops). In time you can start with hitting centaurs and/or goblins before destroying the catapult. Some more tips:
- do a trial battle to see in which round your walls will be breached.
- once you gather enough centaurs, battles will be a lot more easy. Using all centaurs early on means you lose all centaurs. The trick is to use enough centaurs early to deflect fire from your warmongers but leave enough in dwellings to buy a big force later on (around battle 4). Once you have about 180 centaurs, you'll lose less than are produced (on heroic setting)
- When wyverns enter battle, try to lure them inside the castle with a fodder goblin, steal retaliation with another fodder goblin and then hit them hard with warmongers
- let Toulain have all warmongers and centaurs, about 3 chieftains and a handful of fodder goblins
- you can also win with walls breached, but that's not easily explained. Battle will end with the remaining stack of enemy cyclops trying to close with your stack of warmongers.
- if you want to get a better headstart, try my startup tips in the previous post.

Wikingking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wikingking » 07 Jan 2011, 15:44

Thanks for your advice. I've never expected such a fast answer. So what I have to do is, that after the garrison, head to the sea with Kujin ASAP, while defend the first town with Toulain, who has all my centaurs, and a lot's of warmongers and goblins. Then what Kujin supposed to have? Centaurs are the essence of Stronghold forces. If I leave all my centaurs (about 200-250) on Toulain, can I still kick Lethos' ass without trouble?

You've also mentioned visiting the shrine 'periodically'. Isn't that work only once in a while? I mean it gives about 2 or 3 level ups when visited, but can I return later? Or I don't get the point I think. Either way, thanks for your help, I will try your tips soon!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 07 Jan 2011, 20:17

You're most welcome. No I don't mean letting Kujin go to the sea ASAP; I just mean that Toulain should take on defense duty as soon as he's able to. I think I let Kujin sail when she had about 14 cyclops but I'm not sure.

The lvl3 shrine: you can only visit it once. The thing is: level up choices are fixed. If you choose A1 you will be offered B1 and B6 next level. If you choose A2, you will get say B3 and B5 next level. So save before Toulain levels up, choose, (save again on a different file) and then visit the shrine. This will give you an idea what level up path your choice will put you on. Then load the game.

Kujin's army: cyclops and goblins are sufficient. Goblins for consumption and fodder (as melee cyclops >>>>> ranged). A handful of shamans to slow/haste. Chieftains perhaps but not necessarily.
If I remember correctly I also used wyverns and sacrificed them all against Lethos. Wyverns have outlived their use anyway at this point; and the AI likes to target them. That might make Lethos a lot easier. After that, you're safe. If you face problems, you can always sail back to recruit additional units. At this point Toulain will be able to withstand any teal hero anyway.

xiilus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xiilus » 11 Feb 2011, 16:44

I've found that I stay proactive with Kujin, teal doesn't send heroes after me until late month 2 at the earliest. Just to test my theory, one time I had Kujin stand in her starting day one position for 10 days. When I arrived at the first town on day 12, teal was standing outside already. She couldn't get in because of the scripted cutscene that must take place, but as soon as I met up with Toulain she attacked. Defeated on day 12 ;) So it seems, at least in my experience, that teal attacks faster the more you slack.

My army composition seems very different from others. I don't like wyverns and I think cyclops are too expensive for this mission, especially building dwellings for them in Toulain's town. Once I capture the second town, I sell all the wyverns and cyclopes into slavery, making a few thousand gold. In addition, this ensures that if teal captures this base early, they can't use these units against me.

I make the most of the bonus dwellings, and usually go to sea with swarms of marauders and maulers, a throng of earth daughters, and a horde of cheiftains. The biggest difference in my strategy, though, is I use witch doctors. Some goblins must be sacrificed from time to time, but with reasonable troop conservation witch doctors can be a surprisingly mean fighting force. Add to that, zounds of them have a decent chance to defile Letho's magic.

If teal comes for my towns, I give them up without a fight. I've defended them before, but those fights take incredibly long, sometimes up to a half an hour, and for what? To level up a hero that doesn't carry over? As long as Kujin is prepped for her sea voyage, she has no need for the first two towns. Storywise it makes sense: Kujin is trying to unite these tribes, not grind massive numbers of them into dog meat. Take all your forces with you, and keep in mind that at the end of this mission you gain the support of the teal leader, so all of his forces are yours.

StarBIRD
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby StarBIRD » 07 Apr 2011, 00:00

Hi, maltz, big fan of your walkthroughs, though you strike me more as a “magic type” than a might one. Love warlocks, not so much for dwarves, hate Defense, focus much more on spells & heroes rather than your troops, right? ;)

Well, then maybe you should try another approach with barbarians, more orcish one. It works for me.

I have to agree with wimfrits. It’s the best to take orange town asap.

You know what an orc hates the most? Waitings!!!

AI never builds any expensive buildings the first week, no forts, no citadels, so in the end your net profit would be about 5000 gold, yet your lost were way much higher, 21 centaurs, 17 warriors and some goblins to hire (not 14 centaurs for you can build citadel in Week 1, and that would make a big difference in earlier game), and half a week’s time to utilize. Though I never really hired the warriors & goblins, it’s good to know they were there. :p

By taking things in your hand, you can make your town development way better.

50+ dancers wouldn’t be a problem. They marched way too fast, directly into my centaurs’ point blank shooting range (don’t know why, they did so every time, elven arrogancy for my small army size?). With Attack & Archery, that cost half of them, and the rest wouldn’t be any threat for my melee units. Shamans are powerful for hand-to-hand battles. 4 Shamans can attack about 20 dancers and stand the retaliation. Actually I took no casualties.

I believe by taking them the second week your situation is worst, for they grow.

Then, I flagged mercury lab and sulfur pit. By the end of the second week, I took military post, so I’d have 4 wyverns on Day 1 Week 3. With them, the Gem and Gold mine were pieces of cakes.

The tier-5 dwarf priests were nothing. Their plus is high HP and area attacks, which are useless against wyverns. They were much easier than the druids. Oh, I took Defense & Evasion (not my first choice either). Don’t know if it’d be of any difference otherwise.

Never took crystal mine until later. No need for the resource and didn’t have the time. On the second week traded one with mercury, and that’s all I needed.

By Day 2 Week 4, I had 13 wyverns, 43 shamans, 98+20 centaurs, cleared almost anything in my quarter, and only casualty was one goblin, which happened with the lizard riders, for I was short on cash for my capital at the time being, I believe.

1-unit strategy helps, but only as a last resort, if you ask me, (A lost is still a lost, right?) and too defensive and passive.

With a little bit of calculations and not so many savings/loadings, a perfect victory is not that hard to achieve.

Then I had a choice between attacking the garrison right then and waiting for another week. I took latter to minimize casaulties, yet either way the rest of campaign was plain.

Not taking War Machine. Never had the chance. At some point, I was even forced to consider Enlightenment branch.

It’s a pity though that neither AI ever attacked me and I’m confident that I was able to take them in Week 2 and Week 4 respectively.

You had me checked for twice to make sure I was on heroic (ver 3.0).

Not a very difficult campaign if you play it more barbarian-like. ;)
Edited on Thu, Apr 07 2011, 05:41 by StarBIRD

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 08 May 2011, 15:36

This mission is not just semi-impossible on Heroic; it is also extremely important that you get one thing right.

Make sure Kujin ends this mission with Fear My Roar and Anger of the Horde! If you get a freak result like me, where all three towns gave exactly the same crappy spells, don't bother playing the rest of the campaign.

I've played TOTE campaigns on Easy, Normal, Hard and Heroic by now and tried lots of different tactics and strategies. I always got all warcries at some point, so it was never an issue.

On my latest attempt on heroic, I was struck down by the worst possible luck a barbarian can have. All 3 towns I controlled on this map gave exactly the same crap spells! (What kind of probability is that?)

3 towns, 2 restarts, and no Fear My Roar. No anger of the horde, which can do 4000+ damage during the huge army fight in Zehir's campaign.

On the second restart, since it took over a month to capture the second town (which also failed to reward me with Fear My Roar), I gave up - and the third town also didn't give me that spell.

These idiots at Nival never played through the campaign, so they don't understand how an entire campaign can hinge on just a couple of important spells.

If you don't have Fear My Roar and Horde's Anger at the end of this mission, Kujin will never have another chance to get them. That means she goes into the final battle (Zehir's Flying to the Rescue) WITHOUT the ability to scare off an enemy stack or inflict 4000 damage on Biara's huge Devil stack during her boss fight.

That's suicide.

I don't feel like playing this map over again... infuriating...

versed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby versed » 01 Aug 2011, 00:39

HELP HELP HELP i have a buffed up staffed up Kujin and she is in a boat trying to get through the channel to get to teal. BUT two wrecked ships block the channel. I can't get through. How do I get rid of the wrecks? One of them was already empty of loot from the pirates, I think, the other one, I can't even get to to click on. GRRRRR

gimmyboy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gimmyboy » 05 Aug 2011, 09:10

That's not the way to reach teal territory. You should be walking just south of the green city, in 11 position on the map. You should be in the water with horse's legs and summon the boat using the spell Vessel of Shalassa (buy the talisman in town).

Spartan116
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Spartan116 » 30 Aug 2011, 14:34

hi , i don't know if anybody plays this game anymore but i will give it a try and ask. I can't beat this mission on EASY! so i have stopped playing the game :(. This has happened in hammers of fate and on the original homm v . Is there a way do win the mission on easy? a guide or something?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Aug 2011, 15:52

Have you read this walkthrough and followed the "recipe"?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Spartan116
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Spartan116 » 31 Aug 2011, 16:09

If you are referring to the above, yes. Still the teal player comes and beats me. I can't master a decent army in that time (4 month)

Satay_1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Satay_1 » 02 Oct 2011, 17:00

I'm currently playing it on normal.

Orange and brown are dormant. The heroes just stayed at the entrance of their towns so you have to clear everything yourself after taking over. After taking over orange on day 1 of second week as suggested I found that the town is only upgraded till level 7 (most probaly because they do not have as much resources as heroic)

I cannot remember exactly when i took over brown but i saw one teal hero in brown territory right after i visited the redwood observatory.

I quickly took over brown and upgrade the town focusing on centaur nomad and mauler while the teal hero is still busy exploring and flagging the mines at the bottom of brown territory.

By the time the teal hero decided to come up to the town I have managed to gathered a considerable amount of forces myself (mostly trappers, nomads, maulers, serveral sky daughters and a few foul wyverns). I defeated the teal hero outside the town with Toulain (expert warmachines with triple ballista) even though the threat shows challenging.

Haste your nomads and slow the approaching armies with your sky daugthers. Use the shouts to enhance your morale for faster turns so your nomads can shoot more. Try to slow down the approaching armies by setting traps. Focus your ballista and nomads at the enemy centaurs first. With haste your nomads should be able to shoot before the enemy centaurs.

Using the above strategy I was able to defeat the teal heroes outside of the town even though they always have at least twice or thrice the size of my armies. Both my heroes reached level 20 before long.

Purple turn was activated once I started sailing and after finding out where they came from (top left corner of the map), I quickly sail there and defeat the first purple hero. Immdiately after that I sailed back with all my armies to prepare for the next teal attack. In the mean time I saw the second purple hero sailing towards my town. After finishing off the teal hero, I quickly replenished my armies with whatever I can afford (fighting continously with so many armies two-three times bigger than my own have weared down my forces but quite abit). I have managed to defeat the second purple hero after that and this is where I stop now.

PS: Try to visit all the bonus morale and luck points whenever possible. Pass all the armies and artifact to whoever you are using to fight and use the other two to transfer troops from town so you can get the maximum amount of troops right before you fight.
Edited on Sun, Oct 02 2011, 15:11 by Satay_1

gimmyboy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gimmyboy » 04 Oct 2011, 18:53

Heroic 3.1. There is a way to get back the Dragon ring although the teal got it first. After you defeat Gork, don't charge the teal castle. Just pass near the teal hero standing in front of the castle and use the portal to get to the former brown territory. Here there are 2-3 teal heroes of whom one has the ring. If they hide inside the castle, this is it. Charge them and, being inside the castle, they cannot retreat so after the battle you capture all their artifacts. If they are outside the castle, still charge them and, if they manage to retreat, just wait until they are hired back from the tavern. Most of the time, after they are hired back, they just stay inside the castle so, easy mission on defeating them and getting their artifacts.

Tip: If your Kujin finishes this mission with Expert Enlightenment, is enough for her to reach the cap level in her next mission (mission 4 in this campaign) so you wouldn't need the experience boosting artifacts anymore (the Enlightenment set). In order to avoid a bad choice of random equipping artifacts in her final battle of the game (Zehir campaign) just pass the Enlightenment artifacts (Turban and Scale Mail) to one of your other heroes, before finishing the mission, because in her next mission it wouldn't be another friendly hero to pass the artifacts to.
Edited on Tue, Oct 04 2011, 14:59 by gimmyboy

Return to “Articles”