Tribes of the East Spells

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 May 2007, 14:50

But that takes alot of time&money, and the other factions have their own unique skillz to make up for that.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Tribes of the East

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 May 2007, 15:23

Saturas wrote:But it is possible to boost titan's artibutes via artifacts. Wizard with knowledge of 45 can make artifact that increase HP by 10, defense by 12 and magic resistance up to 83% which would made titan much harder to take down.
What TT said.

Besides,
1) How often is it that you get a 45 knowledge when playing a wizard?

2) It is said that a wizard's troops are weaker because he can make artifacts to make them better. Why should he have to make artifacts to make his creatures equal to everyone elses?

3) The wizard will have to use the MMR strategy to have a prayer of winning. That means he has to skip creature dwellings and will have fewer creatures than eveyone else.

4) Artifacts are pretty much unobtainable during the course of a normal MP game. They can only be made on resource rich maps and even then it takes a while.

The artificer skill is a neat idea. But resources are required for creature dwellings, mage guild levels, and building up captured towns so you can keep them besides the resources you need for artifacts. So realistically you won't be building artifacts for a very long time if at all in a multiplayer game.

If Nival wants artificer to actually be a racial skill that can be used they will have to rework it. Necromancy was redone so I guess there's a remote possibility that they'll eventully work on the artificer skill. As slow as the patches come though I'm not holding my breathe. :)

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 09 May 2007, 16:29

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:
Saturas wrote:But it is possible to boost titan's artibutes via artifacts. Wizard with knowledge of 45 can make artifact that increase HP by 10, defense by 12 and magic resistance up to 83% which would made titan much harder to take down.
What TT said.

Besides,
1) How often is it that you get a 45 knowledge when playing a wizard?

2) It is said that a wizard's troops are weaker because he can make artifacts to make them better. Why should he have to make artifacts to make his creatures equal to everyone elses?

3) The wizard will have to use the MMR strategy to have a prayer of winning. That means he has to skip creature dwellings and will have fewer creatures than eveyone else.

4) Artifacts are pretty much unobtainable during the course of a normal MP game. They can only be made on resource rich maps and even then it takes a while.

The artificer skill is a neat idea. But resources are required for creature dwellings, mage guild levels, and building up captured towns so you can keep them besides the resources you need for artifacts. So realistically you won't be building artifacts for a very long time if at all in a multiplayer game.

If Nival wants artificer to actually be a racial skill that can be used they will have to rework it. Necromancy was redone so I guess there's a remote possibility that they'll eventully work on the artificer skill. As slow as the patches come though I'm not holding my breathe. :)

GOW
The easiest way would be to reduce the costs. Right now, it costs 5/10/15 of each of two resources for the 1st/2nd/3rd attribute, respectively. This could be cut proportionately - 3/6/9 for example, or scaled - 2/7/12 for example, or even resacled completely - 1/3/6. There are lots of ways to do this.
From an interface standpoint, it would also be nice to be able to rearrange the attributes when creating the artifact without removing and resetting them (to optimize resource use)

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Saturas » 09 May 2007, 16:50

@Grumpy Old Wizard, What you are saying is that artificer is not proficient when not playing large maps. Agreed, but I was not writting ABOUT artificer. What I meant is that it is just a possibility for pumping up titans who were mentioned.

Academy is not a might race so artificer+magic hero make creatures equal to all others, not only artificer.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 May 2007, 18:43

Saturas wrote:"Academy is not a might race so artificer+magic hero make creatures equal to all others, not only artificer."

And it's not like any of the others can cast magic, can they...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Saturas » 09 May 2007, 18:49

Yes, they can but with much less proficiency.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 May 2007, 19:02

The Wizard only has more mana, his SP isn't that big, and he can only cast as often as any other hero with the same skills. It's not that big of an advantage.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 May 2007, 19:27

Saturas wrote:@Grumpy Old Wizard, What you are saying is that artificer is not proficient when not playing large maps. Agreed, but I was not writting ABOUT artificer. What I meant is that it is just a possibility for pumping up titans who were mentioned.

Academy is not a might race so artificer+magic hero make creatures equal to all others, not only artificer.
But on most maps it is not possible to make artifacts. The map must be large and resource rich. And he still faces problems because he has fewer creatures and can't build up other towns that he captures.

His creatures are weaker than other heroe's creatures and remain weaker for most most or all of the game.

Saturas wrote:Yes, they{might heroes} can { cast magic spells} but with much less proficiency.
No, they can cast mass spells just as well as the wizard can. Meaning they can be great at both might and magic.

As TT pointed out the wizard has low spell power even though he is a pure spell caster (knowledge primary, spell power secondary.) Furthurmore, other spell casters have a higher effective knowledge than their knowledge attribute would indicate because they have a way of recovering mana. I am speaking of the necro ability mark of the necromancer, which gives him an infinite supply of mana. Also the Rune Mage has the Tap Runes ability to recover mana with not to mention his rune spells. The warlock has dark ritual which can give him full mana when he is far from a town or well. So the wizard's high knowledge is not really a big asset when other spell caster with a higher spell power will not have mana trouble.

I would just as soon have Nival delete the artificer skill as to have an artificer skill that can't normally be used. The wizard is usually forced to waste his level up picks maxing artificer and taking consume artifact to avoid crap skills. Then he winds up with expert artificer early which he will not use at all in the game or not until very late. The artificer racial ability is very poorly done though it is a neat concept.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 May 2007, 19:46

They need to make artifacts scale with Hero Knldg without needing a town, maybe indestructible too (and maybe usable by the enemy, but only at 50% of what they had when captured, non-scalable) just because it would be fun, and give the Wizard a way to cast more spells per turn (1 extra spell every X turns) to make them the quantity casters they're supposed to be.

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Saturas » 09 May 2007, 20:11

The problem is that the wizard can not use well his advantage-high mana. When he has more mana than necro and warlock, his units are weak, and by the time he equip his army with artifacts, necro and warlock will not have problems with mana anymore. Wizard would be much stronger if his main atributes are switched (primary spellpower, secondary knowledge), but that would have influence of artificer skill as his knowledge wouldn't be that high.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 May 2007, 20:13

But then he wouldn't be very different from the Warlock, who's the "few but powerful" caster...

hein321
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby hein321 » 09 May 2007, 22:36

you all have good arguments, i was thinking something similar today why don't they just give all the classes the empowered spells ability the wizard should have that imo

the warlock will still have the elemental chains ability which would still be a little too overpowering.

thundertitan said that academy is a magic faction but homm5 spells doesn't justify an huge advantage for magic heroes: the instant travel and town gate spell is destroyed so how do magic based heroes get around might heroes have logistics and for a magic based character to take logistics when it could've been better spent on a magic skill this was what made homm3 so good there was might heroes and magic heroes the creatures never suffered just because of that.ag but it was a good first try for nival considering they never did something like this

maybe the next homm will be done "right" should just skip the expansions and start all over again

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 May 2007, 12:47

I'd prefer if the differences stayed, and they added something new to Wizards.

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Falsted » 11 May 2007, 05:55

When are they going to release some towns list of alternate upgrades already?!? Im getting impatient! :P

$t. Lunacy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tribes of the East

Unread postby $t. Lunacy » 14 May 2007, 12:43

MAn i agree ay bruz i really wan see sum alternative uprageds ay...

do u rekon it will be like one magic orrientared and 1 might maybe i donno ay....

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Orfinn » 26 May 2007, 00:12

"The Titan alternative will be wearing an armor"

May the prophecy be true! Hurray!

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Tribes of the East

Unread postby dark raider » 12 Jun 2007, 15:18

does anyone know what level the spell vampirism is?

The_Flying_Dutchmen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tribes of the East

Unread postby The_Flying_Dutchmen » 12 Jun 2007, 19:49

you need to get other things on this page besides spells

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Jun 2007, 19:50

Why? This is a Spells thread.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Jun 2007, 20:27

The whole Tribes section will be updated soon for sure.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Return to “Articles”