Tribes of the East Spells

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Tribes of the East

Unread postby aaelgr » 29 Apr 2007, 16:15

It'd be nice if they added another fiery spell and gave it the Master of Fire benefit (instead of Armageddon). Then it would (in my opinion) be a better choice to make out of the Destructive perks.

Arcane Crystal (Level 2):

HP: 20 HP. Defence = 0.

[None]: 40+8*SP

[Basic]: 60+12*SP

[Advanced]: 80+16*SP

[Expert]: 100+20*SP

If the HP is 20, then what does the 40+8*SP refer to?
Edited on Sun, Apr 29 2007, 12:30 by aaelgr
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 29 Apr 2007, 18:20

These spells are good (Mass Sorrow no WAY) but I want more destructive spells!... NOW! :D
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Apr 2007, 20:24

I surely would love to have a fire spell around lvl 2 or 4, sometimes it's too much of a risk to take master of fire...
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Tribes of the East

Unread postby vicheron » 29 Apr 2007, 21:42

Arcane Crystal will be useful for defending shooters and to block off damaged walls in siege.

Blade Barrier reduces ranged and magical damage by 75% so its usefulness will not diminish.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Tribes of the East

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 29 Apr 2007, 23:26

vicheron wrote:Arcane Crystal will be useful for defending shooters and to block off damaged walls in siege.

Blade Barrier reduces ranged and magical damage by 75% so its usefulness will not diminish.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the Blade Barrier spell description it does not reduce damage to creatures behind the barrier. It is 75% resistant to damage from spells and shooters.

Arcane Crystal is only 1 square big I'll bet so it is not that great, especially if you wind up with both blocking spells in your guild. If you get AC rather than wasp swarm you will be very disappointed if you are a summoner.

And looking at the wasp hive description again it is the worst spell in the game. A mere 100 hit points at expert and the initiative of an earth elemental. Nival managed to create another level 4 summoning spell even worse than summon elementals.

The summoning school was very much in need of a boost and instead it gets yet another nerf by getting 2 useless spells to take up guild spell slots. (Not to mention the additional nerf to summon elemental spell that is coming in this next patch.)

While a couple of the spells are about right, overall I am pretty disappointed in the balance of the new spells. Hopefully they'll fix them before release.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes of the East

Unread postby asandir » 30 Apr 2007, 01:37

well that's a few spells at least .... but meh
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Tribes of the East

Unread postby theGryphon » 30 Apr 2007, 03:41

I agree with GOW. Summoning school was my least fav. and now it's even weaker.

Divine Vengeance is not a great spell but Regeneration has always been very useful. Do we know if it resurrects?
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 Apr 2007, 14:30

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: The summoning school was very much in need of a boost and instead it gets yet another nerf by getting 2 useless spells to take up guild spell slots. (Not to mention the additional nerf to summon elemental spell that is coming in this next patch.)

While a couple of the spells are about right, overall I am pretty disappointed in the balance of the new spells. Hopefully they'll fix them before release.
GOW
I read through the patch notes for 1.5 but I didn't notice anything about summon elemental...what are you referring to?

Also, as your second paragraph suggests, maybe these aren't the final versions of the spells (after all they are in the hof files) and hopefully those aren't all the new spells.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Elvin » 30 Apr 2007, 15:08

The combat AI will be improved so neutrals will not attack summoned units when they can kill you with few attacks. And summon elementals is not a good spell against an enemy hero...Now it will become virtually worthless.
- Metathron

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 30 Apr 2007, 15:33

PhoenixReborn wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: The summoning school was very much in need of a boost and instead it gets yet another nerf by getting 2 useless spells to take up guild spell slots. (Not to mention the additional nerf to summon elemental spell that is coming in this next patch.)

GOW
I read through the patch notes for 1.5 but I didn't notice anything about summon elemental...what are you referring to?

Also, as your second paragraph suggests, maybe these aren't the final versions of the spells (after all they are in the hof files) and hopefully those aren't all the new spells.
I refer to the below:
AI now understands players' divertive placing tactics (such as those needed to defend shooting creatures).

AI now ignores summoned creatures in combat if it is shortly to eliminate the main forces.
Previous patches nerfed Summon Elementals (a level 4 spell) to such an extent that it is only useful as a diversion. Now it will not even be useful for that.

With such very long times between patches now, now is the time to voice our concern over what we know of the spells rather than waiting to see if the spells will remain as they are.

It is amazing how godly some of the low level spells are (as well as the ones they propose for the expansion) and how utterly without power other higher level spells are. Quite perplexing.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Tribes of the East

Unread postby dark raider » 01 May 2007, 20:10

I think it's very cool that vamperic touch is back again... I really missed that spell. then the game will be a lot more fun to play as this spell really makes the small balance problems a little less important...hmm... couldn't they have made some more dwarwen spells too... anyway i can't wait to the game arrives in the shops.....

dark raider
Pixie
Pixie

Tribes of the East

Unread postby dark raider » 01 May 2007, 20:13

it is cool to know about the spells that will be in the new game.... and i have seen the screenshots from some of the creatures...but does anyone know if there is someplace to see the statistics of the creatures of the new tribes... like hitpoint attack defence etc.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Elvin » 01 May 2007, 20:55

They have not been announced as of yet. If fact it's been a while since there were any news on them.
- Metathron

hein321
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby hein321 » 05 May 2007, 12:13

blade barrier looks like it could even the scales a little for the academy faction which seemed to be a little underpowered imo titan is good though if memory serves they got a highest max damage of all the lvl7 creatures arg too lazy to get my faction document let's don't and say we did

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 05 May 2007, 12:42

hein321 wrote:blade barrier looks like it could even the scales a little for the academy faction which seemed to be a little underpowered imo titan is good though if memory serves they got a highest max damage of all the lvl7 creatures arg too lazy to get my faction document let's don't and say we did
Titans and black dragons have the same damage though titans don't do full damag with their shots until creatures get closer. Titans have low hit points for a level 7.

Blade barrier will need to have its hit points increased in order to last for more than a round as the game progresses. It will be interesting to see how it fares in the game. If they throw in arcane crystal and summon hive without major changes though the summoning school is going to be even weaker.

GOW

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Saturas » 06 May 2007, 03:44

Sorrow sounds like a cool spell but -4 morale and luck for the first level spell is unacceptable for me. Just compare it with weakness or slow. Weakness will lower creature's damage but fair stack can deal considerable amount of damage even with weakness. Slow will lower creature's initiative but when it's turn comes it will deal normal damage and maybe trigger the good morale effect. Sorrow will lower creature's luck and morale by 4 which means that creature has 60% for it's turn to come and when it's turn comes, again it has 60% chance to inflict normal damage. Also, there is no opposite spell for it (spell for increasing luck and morale) like there are slow/haste, weakness/divine str. etc. Not to mention mass sorrow. As for the other spells first of all I don't like the disparity in numbers of spells for each school of magic. Dark magic school is my favorite because wizard, a representative of light magic school is no match for a strong necro in most cases because of necro's higher spellpower. Now, sorrow and vampirism make it even better. So instead of balancing spells, we have weaker and weaker necro every patch. At least that is my opinion.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Cleanpea » 06 May 2007, 19:14

I don't think regeneration will be ressurecting the troops, as well as giveing back hitpoints. Blade barrier and Arcane crystal is superb when fighting large creatures (especcially paladins).

And the game plays pretty well, now. I think, with the new expansion, it will be more complete. Perhaps then I will waste more of my life on my computer

hein321
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby hein321 » 09 May 2007, 09:02

they really ought to revise the titan's hit points on par with the black dragon it has always been thus with all of the heroes never could decide which was the most powerful of the two in homm2 and homm3 grumpy old wizard it's really a shame that such a heroes favourite creature has been so underpowered the other day i was fighting a ranger and his gold dragons wasted my titans in the first round must have been a really powerful ranger it's very seldom that i lose a battle when my titans perished the battle was lost and i had to restart arcane crystal and blade barrier might have just saved the day

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 May 2007, 11:35

hein321 wrote:they really ought to revise the titan's hit points on par with the black dragon
I think you are right. Even though Titans are shooters they are front line fighters. Being a shooter is not as big of an advantage as it was in previous HOMM games because way too many troops can cross the battlefield in a single turn. Combine that with the low hit points of a titan and no simultaneous retaliation and a big dent can be made in their numbers before they have even had a chance to attack.

GOW

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Tribes of the East

Unread postby Saturas » 09 May 2007, 14:27

But it is possible to boost titan's artibutes via artifacts. Wizard with knowledge of 45 can make artifact that increase HP by 10, defense by 12 and magic resistance up to 83% which would made titan much harder to take down.

Return to “Articles”