Round Rable Battles - Heroes V

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 22 Mar 2007, 13:39

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/684

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 22 Mar 2007, 13:39

Players are ranked by their map score, which needs to be verified by sending a screenshot of their score to "staff at celestialheavens.com"??

you will not get a "score" :( but I can send a screenshot of the "result" (the one with days played killed creatures... and so on...)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 Mar 2007, 15:01

I just want to point out that Psychobabble lives in Australia so the Battles updates, and the answers to your questions, will be posted during the night (well, our night, for us on the Western side of the world).

relvap
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby relvap » 23 Mar 2007, 06:58

ok, i'm going to use this place to ask 2 stupid Q, as i'm not so good in this game i love to enter the contest.

1.- where do i put the downloaded maps so i can play them

2.- how do i get a screenshot?

sorry for bargin in

ariel
Edited on Fri, Mar 23 2007, 04:19 by relvap

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 23 Mar 2007, 07:33

Post download maps in \heroes of might and magic V\maps

To get a screenshot hit print screen. That saves it in \heroes of might and magic V\screenshots

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 23 Mar 2007, 14:20

well I've played this map one time now first of all a very good map!!

but here is my question again about the "screenshot" it does'nt tell anything of what diff. I played on.... :( (So I made a screenshot of my "load game screen too")

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 Mar 2007, 00:45

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about the H5 score system. In H4 your difficult was factored into your final score as a multiplier. Doesn't it do the same here? If not, I will have to work out some sort of manual multiplier figure.

phinex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby phinex » 24 Mar 2007, 04:56

sorry the I have such a stupid question, what's the email's address?

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 24 Mar 2007, 06:46

Welcome to the forums, phinex! ;)

The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked ;).

To answer your question:
staff@celestialheavens.com

You did mean that one right? Or do you mean Psychobabble's e-mail?

If that's what you meant, then I have no idea :D.
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

phinex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby phinex » 24 Mar 2007, 12:36

Thanks for the answer.Another question,does the latest patch include the 1.41,or only means hof 2.1
Edited on Mon, Mar 26 2007, 01:48 by phinex

Onkel B
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Onkel B » 24 Mar 2007, 13:11

On the screen after winning you can´t see the difficulty of the game. a scoreboard you only get on the singleplayer-maps from the sold game, not for selfmade-maps. so we dont have a real chance to known, what the real score is. i played the map on heroic but it didn´t show on the "endscreen"...

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 24 Mar 2007, 15:24

"Round Rable Battles" - sounds so nice, but even nicer if the topic had been called "Round Rable Rattles" :)

Hallo Onkel, best regards into the German Drachenwald! :-D

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Round Table Battles - Heroes V

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Mar 2007, 18:26

Blame the Pirates! Arr!
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Mar 2007, 14:39

Sucks. No score. Just the time.

So playing it on easy would gain the best score, obviously.

What can we do?
ZZZzzzz....

Onkel B
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Onkel B » 25 Mar 2007, 15:12

the best would be, making a savegame and everyone playing with the savegame. before making the last fight we make a save, and this save we send to psychobabble. otherwise it isn´t possible to check the difficulty...

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 Mar 2007, 23:59

Stupid simplistic H5 scoring system. I might do what you suggest with the save game, the problem is (a) how do I know people play from the save game, (b) I can't have multiple difficulty level save games or else we have the same problem and (c) what difficult level should I pick? Some people would just get frustrated if they had to play on the hardest difficulty level.

Sorry for this guys, it's looking like the H5 score system is pwning this competition.

PS. Maybe I'll just take a diff option and just rely on honesty system for difficulty reporting. Then I'll make up a difficulty multiplyer of some sort, though that would be difficult because I would want it to somehow capture the fact that a good run on a low difficulty could be better than a bad run on a higher diff. Argh, why can't this be more like H4? :(
Edited on Sun, Mar 25 2007, 17:00 by Psychobabble

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 26 Mar 2007, 05:23

It might make sense to start with one of the regular maps instead until this is settled then.

travelingoz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby travelingoz » 26 Mar 2007, 05:36

G'day Psycho. Firstly, thanks for organising the competition, sounds like it's going to be a blast.

Secondly regarding the scoring problem; Not being a super map editor user here, why couldn't you edit the map parameters so that only one difficulty is possible and edit the text for the end of mission display to reflect that. Then we could either all download and play the same map or download different version depending on the level we wanted to play?

Thirdly, i'd like to know what factors affect your mission score and how much by. E.G. Time; how much does it affect your score.

Thanks Again

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 26 Mar 2007, 07:31

well this does'nt have to be to hard instead of posting a screenshot just mail your savegame file (on the loading screen there you will se what diff. we played on.... (the only problem then is, will the "loader" of the saved file be able to win the last battle......? :)

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 26 Mar 2007, 07:36

Some comments about the map.

I think that Fury of the Elements is not that well suited for this kind of competetion because it makes a lot of difference whether you know the map or not (be it because you played it already or had a good look into it in the editor). It makes a lot of difference whether you know what you are facing or not.
Secondly the scoring system plays a role HOW to play.
I played the map on heroic and to me it looks this way: If you go for all the artifacts (and necessarily for the Necro and HIS artifacts as well) the last battles are a peace of cake, but you will take some time longer to complete the map, obviously.
If you DON'T go for the artifacts and the Necro the battle will be tough. I did that (even left out the Resurrect spell AND the going back to town to add Phoenixes to the shit list after getting the Pendant of Mastery) and it looks like winning is still possble albeit much more difficult. Sadly I had, what was probably the Rise-Phoenix-out-of-Phantom-Image-Ghost bug: The opposing hero cast Phantom Image on his just Risen-from-the ashes Phoenixes; when that Image was killed a "Ghost-Image" appeared: the risen-from-the ashes Phantom. It was on the ATB-bar, not on the map, but still killed my units, so that fight wasn't winnable anymore.

Now the question would be whether the fulfilling of secondary VCs and quests would gain points or not because I'm pretty sure the map can be beaten without doing that.

Technically it's a good map idea and well done - with one exception. I positively HATE these labyrinth-like plethora of Portals swarmimg the map. There's no logic in it, you just have to go randomly somewhere and look what you can do. Even on heroic there is not just one way you can go: I started with both outside Hunter dwellings and the first freed unit were Unicorns (and I never looked back or missed a turn or something). Worse is, you have to somehow memorize the ways so you don't get lost or do ways that are too long and that includes making use of the one-way portals as well. Later on it gets better of course, since the game finds its way well, but I still hate clicking on some point on the map half a world away and getting shown 2 days by the game when I myself have no idea how to get there. Of course weeks-of-something are no help here.
With the setting described I really see no reason why the hell this has to be so complicated.

Return to “Articles”