Hammers of Fate → Freyda's Dilemma → Choices

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Serghey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Serghey » 23 Jan 2014, 07:54

I replayed this mission after a long time (actually started all campaigns from the original homm 5 and got here) on hard. Taking on the garrison that keeps Duncan trapped is a challenge with the initial troops (on hard you get 4 paladins, 6 inquisitors, 45 marksmen 90 conscripts and after 12 squires joined me in the underground i had 27) without dark magic spells, which i didn't get, because i like to build a classic knight (i had resurrect however + mass haste/deflect missile/endurance). It was not an easy fight, but if you time your light magic spells right, you can win with virtually no losses, even though the stacks are very large (70 zealots are quit tough, but on their firs move they cast blind on you all the time, which actually gives you time block them). Also be careful and don't rush your troops forward, they will get butchered fast, be patient and try to focus on the angels first (given that your first spell was mass deflect missile). After you win, everything becomes fairly easy.

Serghey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Serghey » 23 Jan 2014, 08:16

As for the "not so dormant" :) AI, I think I know why they respawn, and in maltz's walkthrough they don't. After your first fight on the surface, with the teal hero that attacks you, you get Shackles of the Last Man. Unfortunately, the minor artifact offered to me at the beginning was the tarot deck which goes exactly where the shackles should be, so probably that's why they reappear, until you manage to take their last castle. I'll try it again with them on to see what happens!

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Hammers of Fate → Freyda's Dilemma → Choices

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 04 Sep 2019, 23:02

Hard 2.1

I could do better. Freyda made level 29 and Duncan level 27. I waited a bit too long to turn the main army over to Duncan. The very last battle is worth about 23,000 XP and must be fought by Freyda so once she gets within that range let Duncan do all the heavy lifting. I let Freyda take out the first of the two Garrisons guarding the Red port city, about 48,000 and 20,000 more than she needed. So she had about 43,000 more than necessary. Managed correctly he could have had those XP and been 28+.

I was foiled in my original plan, go straight for Duncan with my starting army. Freyda had Expert Light and Expert Dark with Puppet Master, Blind, Mass Haste and Mass Slow to manage the battle. As I passed Redmine heading south I was attacked by a 23 level teal knight. I won but took significant casualties. Now I had an empty city and a small army, so I took the city and spent 2 or 3 weeks rebuilding. Luckily I found Rutger in the Tavern and gave him an army sufficient to clear the easier mines. When I freed Duncan, I got two more Haven Cities and 3 more knights. Unfortunately Andreas killed two of them before I ever got to do anything with them.

From this point forward, only Freyda and Duncan fought any battles. I got lucky and got a Robe of Enlightenment on my first visit to the Artifact Merchant. Unluckily, both my Witch's Huts were destructive magic Sigh! I rehired Elaine and toward the end she was getting 9000 a day from my 4500 peasants I had over 750,000 gp at the end. In my last few battles I had 45 Archangels.

A bit tedious hitting all the stat bonuses. Finished on the first day of month 5.

LunaticFringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LunaticFringe » 06 Sep 2021, 06:18

URG! I've freed Duncan, taken Town E and hired Ellaine and 3 other double digit level heroes, but Andreas and Lorenzo continue to respawn and chase me down. I can't take either garrison surrounding the port town. Did I do something out of order? :wall:

LunaticFringe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LunaticFringe » 06 Sep 2021, 21:58

Update, FINALLY finished! I just had to keep killing Andreas and Lorenzo until they finally stayed in their lanes and left me to build my army. Off to Wulfstan!!

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 11 Jan 2024, 19:42

Choices, Max 29, Heroic

I took the 2 Paladins. The number of Paladins that join and the nearby artifact are random, so restarts are a possibility. I got 3 more Paladins and a Helm of Chaos.

Week 1, took the town, went underground.

Week 2, captured the underground gold mine.

Week 3, fought Klaus when I climbed back above ground and then took the town just south of the stairs. Heading for Duncan and ran into Andreas, L25 with a better army than mine. Had to use my time machine and take evasive action.

Week 4, Andreas is patrolling near my Haven, and I can't beat him. He won't attack Freyda in the castle, so she's been holed up, building a stronger army.

Week 5, With 2 more weeks of production Freya was finally able to defeat Andreas, with crippling casualties.

Week 6, Andreas is back! I gave up on controlling Red and sent Freyda on a dash to rescue Duncan.

Week 7, Rescued Duncan, two more towns converted from Teal to Blue Along with all the Teal mines. Freyda used Town Portal back to defend Redmine. Freyda had to fight Andreas in the open again with another large army. Duncan took Rutger's substantial army and began fighting neutral stacks.

After Freyda defeated Andreas the second time Red remained within the compound near the port.

Week 8, Duncan took Chillbury. Freyda and Duncan touring. No other heroes were allowed to fight battles and all chests went for xp for Duncan or Freyda.

Week 13, Freyda is within 23K, time to finish. Duncan took both Red garrisons and the last Red town for 132K xp reaching L28 + about 35K xp. Freyda needs to hit the two underground Planetariums before coming back to finish.

Week 14, Won @4,2,7 (Flawlwess). Freyda needed 21.7K xp in the final battle for L29 and she got 22.2K.

Return to “Articles”