Map Locations

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Map Locations

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Oct 2006, 18:06

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/619
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Map Locations

Unread postby Zamolxis » 13 Nov 2008, 13:20

Great work! Thanks!

Just a suggestion: perhaps this would be a good place to add the terrain & road types, with their bonuses and penalties (or else in a new link in the left panel).
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Map Locations

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 Nov 2008, 13:27

Oh wow, someone really spent time in the map editor to take all those pictures...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Map Locations

Unread postby Fnord » 20 Jan 2009, 03:58

Hi CloudRiderX,

Here are some corrections and suggestions for additional information.

Corrections:

1. The Naga Bank actually gives Sulfur rather than Gems. Although this appears to be a bug (logically it should give Gems), it was never fixed by any official patches (it may have been fixed in WoG but I don't recall for sure).

2. Altar of Sacrifice - Conflux isn't listed.

3. Shipyard - The cost is 1000 Gold and 10 Wood (not 1500 Gold and 10 Wood).

4. Trading Post - This gives you the same rate as five market places (not three).

Suggestions:

1. Warrior's Tomb - mention that artifact is only available to the first visitor but the penalty applies to everyone who visits.

2. University - mention that there are four randomly chosen secondary skills available at every University (each is different).

3. Magic Spring - mention that it can only be used once per week.

4. Witch Hut - clarify that each Witch Hut's skill is random (or may be chosen by the map maker actually) but teaches the same skill to everyone.

5. Magic Well - may only be visited once per day by each hero (even if they used up some spell points the same day after visiting).

6. Seer's Huts - would be nice to list all the types of quests: Return with Artifacts, Return with Creatures, Return with Resources, Be a Specific Hero, Belong to a Specific Player, Achieve a minimum Experience Level, Achieve a minimum Primary Skill Level, Defeat a Specific Hero, Defeat a Specific Monster.

7. As mentioned by Pol, the newer design of Monoliths aren't shown. As they look quite different from the others, showing one or two would be good.

8. Hill Fort - L1 creatures are upgraded for Free. Other lower levels are discounted at various rates (I don't recall them offhand). I believe L7 are full price...maybe L6 too. Not sure about L5. It would be good to list all the discount rates.

9. War Machine Factory - Costs should be listed: 2500 gold for Ballista, 750 gold for First Aid Tent, 1000 gold for Ammo Cart.

10. Fountain of Fortune - I believe the specific random bonus (or penalty) applies the same to all fountains for all heroes but changes randomly each week.

That's all for now. If I see anything else I'll do another post later. :)
Edited on Tue, Jan 20 2009, 00:40 by Fnord
- Fnord

Hellboy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map Locations

Unread postby Hellboy » 29 Aug 2009, 02:03

There are still some inaccuracies and deficiencies on this page.

Abandoned mines are guarded by a throng of troglodytes, not a horde. Also, the abandoned mine can be customized to restrict which resources can be chosen by the game.

Resource piles give 3-6 of a precious resource, or 5-10 of wood or ore. Not 1-10.

Prison heroes cannot be random. Although the map editor does randomly choose a hero when you place the prison, which you can then change or leave as-is, the hero is always determined when the map is created. There is no "random" option that lets the hero be randomly chosen when you play the map.

To customize a Witch's Hut, you must have the Armageddon's Blade or Shadow of Death expansion.

You also need the expansion to place a Freelancer's Guild on the map.

The regular Cartographer reveals all land except Subterranean, regardless of whether it is on the surface or in the underworld.

The underworld Cartographer reveal all Subterranean terrain, regardless of whether it is on the surface or in the underworld.

Eye of the Magi's sight radius is 10, to be exact.

Den of Thieves provides full Thieves Guild information, to be exact.

You forgot to mention the Conflux for the Altar of Sacrifice. They are Neutral and can sacrifice both creatures and artifacts, just like Stronghold or Fortress.

You can actually leave signs blank and they will still display a message. At the start of the game, a message is randomly chosen from a list of canned messages. (In Heroes of Might and Magic 1, this feature was the ONLY functionality of signs!)

Ocean bottles will say "No Trespassing" if left blank by the mapmaker. Also, it's important to note that, unlike signs, they disappear when read.

For Subterranean Gates, it is noteworthy that the mapmaker does not have direct control over how the gates are paired up. This is how the game decides how to pair them: It start with the overworld gate which is closest to the north edge of the map. (If there is a tie, the one farther west wins.) It pairs this gate with the nearest gate from the underworld. Then, as it scans the overworld with for the rest of the gates, it pairs each overworld gate with the nearest unpaired underworld gate.

It's also important to know that keymaster's tents are buggy: If you restart a scenario, or even if you start a different scenario, the keymaster tent flags are not reset, allowing you (or possibly computer players) to open border guards without visiting tents. Also, the tent flags are not saved or loaded when you save or load your game, so if you visit a tent, save the game, quit, start Heroes 3 up again, and load your saved game, you'll have to visit the tent again.

A similar bug affects quest guards with "defeat hero" or "defeat monster" as the quest (but this bug is far nastier, because when it happens, you can never open the quest gate, ever).

Hellboy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map Locations

Unread postby Hellboy » 30 Aug 2009, 18:42

Actually, I just realized that the message given to a blank sign or bottle depends entirely on its X coordinate.

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 30 Aug 2009, 20:23

Really great job with this. I love the layout.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Map Locations

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 09 Sep 2009, 23:36

Phew, it's been a while since I looked at this page, but I think I've caught it up on all of the correct information suggested in comments. If there is anything else, or anything I forgot, let me know.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Petrose
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map Locations

Unread postby Petrose » 23 Nov 2010, 02:59

While looking at the Titan's Winter map in the editor, I noticed a unique structure called "Market of Time" which is not a structure that can be placed with the editor and it gives no information except its name. I've never played this map, so I don't know if it actually does anything. Anyone know anything about this?

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Map Locations

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 23 Nov 2010, 14:44

Petrose wrote:While looking at the Titan's Winter map in the editor, I noticed a unique structure called "Market of Time" which is not a structure that can be placed with the editor and it gives no information except its name. I've never played this map, so I don't know if it actually does anything. Anyone know anything about this?
There is a map in an early release that had this site. It was never implemented, so we don't know what it was supposed to do. Many enterprising map designers used the cut-and-paste option to put this object in their own maps.
The only way to get it (directly) in your map editor is to have WoG installed- it is on the "towns" list of objects. It still won't do anything unless you script it to do something.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Petrose
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map Locations

Unread postby Petrose » 24 Nov 2010, 01:54

Thanks. That curiosity is what brought me back to this website. I haven't been here in a long time.

Return to “Articles”