Last But Not Least, the Haven Tips

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Haven Strategy

Unread postby Grail Quest » 22 Jul 2007, 02:21

I was thinking more about Fallen Knight, and I think you would only take that if you:

(a) know how to use, and regularly use, Retaliation Strike, and want to maximize it by taking Weakening Strike

(b) want only Mass Haste and Mass Slow (on the surface, this is great synergy) from Light Magic, and also want Dark Magic; by going through the Dark Magic/Attack route, you save yourself from having to take Light Magic, which thereby frees one entire skill tree. It could, for example, let you take Sorcery, which increases your cast rate, in turn letting you cast both these spells sooner on the battlefield.

I do agree Leadership is essential. It has so many synergies with other skills in the Knight skill set, such as (primarily) Retribution, as well as anything that increases the rate of unit actions, such as Benediction, Haste, and Divine Guidance. I recommend specialization, so I'm probably biased, but these skills are also useful if you happen to command other races. I think a Knight commanding Inferno units would really rock, as Inferno is very might oriented, plus it has great charging first-strike units that can cross the battlefield in one go if you have, say, Aura of Swiftness.

I discourage Tactics because unless you are absolutely assured of and will use first strike on almost all your units, you will get hit hard by the AI's shock troops. Especially bad will be to be hit by Hell Chargers (and their terror) or Cerebuses (and their spray attack).

I think Tactics would have been better if you could get a 4-tile width staging area, where you get one extra row into the battlefield (just as you do now), and you get to EXTEND the battlefield by one extra row, in case you one to place units one extra row behind. That, I think, would make Tactics truly useful and interesting. As it is now, it's such a double-edged sword that it's upside is definitely outweighed by its downside when fighting the AI, which doesn't care if it gets its army smashed by charging units at you without cover fire.

Kibester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Haven Strategy

Unread postby Kibester » 13 Aug 2007, 07:22

To Ceres: Turtling means putting a ranged unit in one corner and some high-defense units next to it so that melee creatures can't reach into the, =)

Inisto
Peasant
Peasant

Haven Strategy

Unread postby Inisto » 28 Sep 2007, 23:34

A HOMMV peasant is such a fat piece of sh#t

He can hardly withstand an arrow or a hit.

I cant believe yu guys keep training those fatsoes

Not realizing that they belong in the Getto

Anyway why do they stay in that game

Yes you should really ask yourself if it ai'n pretty lame

Ye those fat lil Nebraskans cause pain to my head

Like why they keep running Simpsons when its been 3 years dead.

Some say its simply my point-of-vieeeeeeew

Well look at them a$$holes and look at them cluuuues

Oh people come to your wits they are buttf%&$/ing brits

with hairy fat tits without any wits,they cant stand a hit,

they're not Heroes fit coz they're-a-bunch-oooof

$heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Am talkin about Pearl Harbour Movie Drama Ben Affleck $heeeet!Yeah
Edited on Fri, Sep 28 2007, 19:35 by Inisto

agni77
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Haven Strategy

Unread postby agni77 » 08 Oct 2007, 07:42

i tend to find Vittorio as a great starting hero, because his ballista is so darn powerful in the beginning, and quite decent towards the end as well. then i'd probably go after Rutger, since he can intercept any incoming enemy heroes, or outrun them if necessary.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Haven Strategy

Unread postby aaelgr » 08 Oct 2007, 23:36

Does Maeve's special work? I've been replaying the campaign as Freyda and can't see any increase when I right click on Haste in the spellbook.

@agni77. I agree, Vittorio is one of the more under-rated Haven heroes. +1 to Ballista attack PER LEVEL is brilliant later on in a game.

@Inisto You have way too much time on your hands (and I've yet to come across a Brit who is hairy-chested, butt-f*****g -as you so eloquently put it- and witless.).
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Haven Strategy

Unread postby aaelgr » 02 Dec 2007, 02:07

Vittorio(Lvl15+)+Triple Ballista+Flaming Arrows+Ring Of Machine Affinity=Unbeatable (so long as you have an army to mop up with).

Dark_PC Gamer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Haven Strategy

Unread postby Dark_PC Gamer » 18 Feb 2008, 22:21

What skills would you guys choose for Vittorio in ToTE?
Edited on Mon, Feb 18 2008, 17:21 by Dark_PC Gamer

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Haven Strategy

Unread postby aaelgr » 18 Feb 2008, 23:14

Definitely aim to get Triple Flaming Ballista. It can kill a fair chunk of units once Vittorio get above Lvl. 10 (1 devil per shot at Lvl.15). Once managed to get the Ring of Machine Affinity and the Dragon Talon Crown so it was truly devastating (the Ring is much rarer than the Crown).

I tend to put the other one on Catapult and try to get skills such as Death March to help in the seiges. Leadership is vital for Knights in General, and you may want to give Luck and maybe Light or Dark Magic consideration.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Feb 2008, 23:20

Actually one magic school be it light or dark is a [/b]must.[/b] Yes typical picks are retribution, divine guidance and flaming arrows.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

blizzardboy
Pixie
Pixie

Haven Strategy

Unread postby blizzardboy » 27 Apr 2008, 08:19

On an interesting note, I incorporated destructive magic into a knight build very nicely. A unique thing about haven is that they can get both fiery death (+10% fire damage for all units) and cold steel (+10% cold damage for all units.) Just take master of fire, fiery death, then master of ice. Master of ice sets you up for cold steel and still leaves your two remaining attack skills open for frenzy and retribution to synergize with your leadership bonus. Taking destructive magic opened me up for +20% flat elemental damage on top of the +15% from expert attack. Granted my destructive spells themselves weren't as deadly as a spellpower based hero, but whatever, you get expert destructive magic and you're still going to be dishing out worthwhile damage. Normally a knight spends a couple turns buffing their units and the rest just using their petty attack. They can't do much else unless you also take dark magic, but then you're using up 2 skill slots out of only 5 to work with. Kind of a steep price.

I had attack/leadership/destructive magic/enlightenment/logistics.

I'm not sure it's better than the standard light magic build, but it was cool.
^^It's my little girl! But YOU will address her as Princess Strawberry Blizzard :mad:

Return to “Articles”