The Ranger → The Refugees

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 19 Jul 2006, 14:43

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/577

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 19 Jul 2006, 14:43

Thanks for the great walkthrough! Just a little suggestion: Light magic is very, very useful for this campaign, especially in higher difficulties towards the end. (Resurrection) If you see it offered, better take it.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Jul 2006, 15:09

Hush, that article has not been announced yet. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 19 Jul 2006, 20:59

I got a few valuable tips to add.

You can reach a witchhut on day 1 so restart until you get what you want. I was offered: Luck, Light Magic, Sorcery and I can't remember more.

I restarted 25 times trying to get Warmachines to go the imbue ballista route but never gotted it. I settled for Light Magic. Then I gotted Advanced Luck from another witchhut to the west.

Oh, and I can't wait to see the walkthru for map 3 of this campaign. On Heroic I've had to restart from a very early save 4 times now! It's excrutiatingly hard! (Very tricky atleast) An entire month without a single mine!
Edited on Wed, Jul 19 2006, 15:01 by Campaigner

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 19 Jul 2006, 21:41

One thing not mentioned, but quite useful, is Ressurection scroll which is just south of point 10, on second road from the top, close to dancer's dwelling. Though, guarded by champions (and for me there were always some paladins as well).

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 19 Jul 2006, 22:40

I emptied all garrisons, save one which teal reached before me, using secondary heroes heading directly for them. The map was easy after getting the troops to findan, who proceeded to clear everything. Finding Boots of Speed (or whatever they call them nowadays) helped with that.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 20 Jul 2006, 02:33

I got Destructive Magic in the first witch's hut, so I reloaded. Got Light Magic in another one in the same game, though. The rest of my preferred skills - Luck, Logistics and Attack - were offered naturally.

The main reason for Light Magic is Resurrection, which allows Findan to fight most battles without losses after you get this spell (I got it in Syris Thalla on map 3).
Edited on Wed, Jul 19 2006, 20:34 by Sikon

burbon52
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby burbon52 » 20 Jul 2006, 02:41

A few useful tips:

1- After the first attack by the teal player, I thought it would be a good idea to strenghten the defences (i.e. garrisons) so I sent a hero to each one of them. Teal army never attacked me again. Must be a bug, but a useful one.

2- After getting the Light magic, use your skill points to get expert life magic and then go to the wizard's tower (or whatever it is called) and it will give you resurrection. (at least that's what it gave me). With virtually unlimited armies, thatnks to resurrection) the rest of the campain will be pretty smooth.

Gyler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gyler » 20 Jul 2006, 03:46

Not sure why, but i cant take any of the creatures in the garrison, even though u guys sayin its possible. Im sure it would be easier if i could =/

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: The Ranger → The Refugees

Unread postby Psychobabble » 20 Jul 2006, 04:21

Thanks for the comments guys, some good tips there. A few responses
Gyler wrote:Not sure why, but i cant take any of the creatures in the garrison, even though u guys sayin its possible. Im sure it would be easier if i could =/
I explain how to do so in the walkthrough! You have to swap your stacks in.
Gaidal Cain wrote:I emptied all garrisons, save one which teal reached before me, using secondary heroes heading directly for them. The map was easy after getting the troops to findan,
I did that, but then teal captured two of the severely weakened garrisons and I lost the game. Figured that probably wasn't the best tip to give everyone :).

GatorG
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby GatorG » 20 Jul 2006, 11:15

my tip would be that "if" you can empty the garrisons you just stay close enough that teal can't take two garrisons...then, you wouldn't lose. it's a good tip that relies on a very small portion of luck.

edit - I would love to hear how to do "The Defense" on Heroic also. I've retried that map and couldn't do better than capturing two towns before the Necromancers finally beat me down. Although I still have a couple of things to try, but it wore me down...lol. Would be interesting to hear anyone who beat it on Heroic.

Alas, they are making this map easier now...for an "old" timer it was a pleasure playing some difficult maps...in a sense...lol. G (-:
Edited on Thu, Jul 20 2006, 05:20 by GatorG

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Jul 2006, 13:11

finally! nice walkthrough :)

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 20 Jul 2006, 15:19

Another interesting challenge here is to visit every single stat boosters on this map (there are at least 10 of them!), as well as all three witch huts, while trying to defend your garrisons, and get them all before Biara shows up. This is still doable in heroic, as you can "borrow" army from the garrisons.

I would suggest borrowing the armies from the "5" garrison to start, and visit stat boosters in that area, and slowly work your way up north-west.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jul 2006, 01:07

i really liked this map, helped myself to the stat boosters for a bonus and grabbed the cabins early, made for a reasonably easy map
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

pathos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pathos » 21 Jul 2006, 21:07

If you separate banks of pixies then arrange then in a line so one is behind the other, they gain an extra movement allowance and can go closer to be able to attack. High level pixies become sprites and have a double attack of spray if two enemy are next to each-other dealing extra damage.

Also in the Ranger quest mission 4 - The Archipelago, is it possible to save the isle of Tieru?

I played the level not stepping foot on the boat and followed through the lan masses and underground passages to reach the bridge.

I found that mose woodland creatures will join and all other creatures put up a fight.

On level four collect the money from the chest as there are two upgrade towers you will find and cash in resources as there are no towns.

sone chest have large experience, the biggest i found was 6000 pts so if you get one of those take the exp and not the gold.

Maybe there is more to this level but I am on level 5 now and it is of little concern to me

magerette
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby magerette » 21 Jul 2006, 22:47

thanx for the tips--this has been the hardest campaign so far--map 3 is kicking my rear on normal but i now see i have the wrong build on findan-been trying to get the "ultimate skill' which is impossible, apparently--thanks again for the walkthru and invaluable help.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 24 Jul 2006, 14:39

Got a bad news here. People have been reporting that one can NO LONGER swap army from the garrison post patch 1.2. Now I would really want to see how people can step on all of the stat boosts on heroic... :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: The Ranger → The Refugees

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jul 2006, 15:35

maltz wrote:Got a bad news here. People have been reporting that one can NO LONGER swap army from the garrison post patch 1.2. Now I would really want to see how people can step on all of the stat boosts on heroic... :)
So what?I played on hard,and I didnt have to empty a single garrison.I was attacked by blue just once(which is weird).This is v1.0

vdupuy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vdupuy » 24 Jul 2006, 18:53

Indeed, you can't swap troops with Garrisons anymore. Heroic just became quite a bit more challenging...

pathos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pathos » 26 Jul 2006, 11:56

Like to know how to complete Ranger, mission 5?

On normal I found it very hard with no creatures stacks joining and there are some very big creature stacks ie:- 12 Spectral Dragons.

I am amazed at all the cut scenes, there are so many.

I am completing the game on normal first then will start again on hard and then heroic. But I hate these level like Ranger 5 where you have to dig for treasure as it takes me ages matching up the puzzle map with the game map, am I the only one?

Return to “Articles”