Interview with Rob King

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Interview with Rob King

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 14 Jan 2017, 11:32

Rob King
January 2017

Rob King is a name that will be familiar to fans of the Might & Magic franchise. Responsible for much of the music of previous games, his work serves to add that certain level of class needed to lift the gaming experience. It's been a while since we had our own talk with him - you can read that interview here. For now, though, let's catch up with this guy and see what he's doing:

1. First a quick bio for those who may be unfamiliar with the name Rob King: what's your story? How did you get into gaming and what's been your career so far?

"I got into gaming in the late 70’s with Pong! Then was addicted to my Atari 2600 all through the early 80’s. I had every console made through the 2000’s! Even the Magnavox Odyssey, Colecovision, Vectrex, Atari 5200 in the 80’s. My career has been working on Games, Music and Film projects since the early 90’s."

2. What's your current job? Please outline what your work entails.

Image"My current job is working on different projects as I have done for years. I usually bounce between music, dialoue and sound design. Just finished a lot of VO production on Ghost Recon: Wildlands coming out March 1st. Just did a score for a really cool Augmented reality project coming out this year some time and of course we are wrapping up this cool mobile game that we have all worked really hard on this year – Creature Quest! The soundtrack will be available when the game drops."

3. How is making music for mobile devices different from your previous work? How is it different from the PC games?

"Absolutely no difference except for a little more memory limitations; the technical challenges. Although I think you need to make something fun that you can get in an out of quickly or be able to play at great lengths. I think people like to play between life’s tasks quite a bit. I know I do. You can be at a car wash waiting for your car and just wanna play a quick 10 min of something. You can do that with Creature Quest if you want to or you could be pretending to watch TV and be engrossed in the game for hours."

4. Do you personally play such games?

"Oh yeah, I play mobile games all the time. I am actually addicted to Hearthstone in a bad way.. I have been playing our Creature Quest build for over 2 years and I still enjoy it! Kinda crazy really as I rarely even play games I work on."

5. What's your favourite part of the job?

"Working on a team with other humans… Image I spend way too much time by myself in the recording studio so whenever I can work with others it’s a pleasure."

6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

"I have no idea. Five years ago I wouldn’t have known where I’d be today. Hopefully I will be able to continue to do creative work in some capacity."

7. What do you like to do in your free time?

"I love art, I go to a lot of gallery shows. I like writing pop songs and consuming good wine. Spending time with my daughter is also very important to me."

8. How did you enjoy your collaboration with Ubisoft?

"It was great. They always gave us creative freedom. The producer on the last HOMM games Julien was also a super nice guy."

9. How many tracks have you composed for HoMM in total?

"Oh god…I have no idea. I’d have to say somewhere between 200-300 over 21 years."

10. Can all the tracks from the H7 Tbf expansion be heard somewhere on the web?

"I have no idea, but they are sitting on my hard drive. Image

11. What does Creature Quest have in common with the games in the Might & Magic franchise?

"Obviously the sound. Image Personally the score to this game is one of our best. I love exploring unique instruments and blending them with the orchestra. We did a lot of this back on the Heroes III soundtrack and this score feels similar. It is a pretty mellow score over all but has our signature sound. Paul Romero and I worked on and off for over 2 ½ years on the music score. We didn’t really have any set schedule so we got to take our time working on it which is always the best way to work. Image I think the character and creature design has an M&M feel and our art director Heather Poon is an absolute talent. Another thing in this game is the adventure maps. They have mini story lines and the way you explore has a familiar feel to HOMM even though it is completely different. When you start to play this game for a good 30 min and understand your way around the game play, it starts to give you that “Just one more turn” feeling. Image

That's it - big thanks to Rob for taking the time and we hope to hear more from him in the future.

Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Interview with Rob King

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jan 2017, 13:05

I like how he says his favourite part is "working with other humans" ... The wording, stressing the human part, is almost suspicious, as if he's not really a human after all. "Uh, yeah, I like working with other humans. Because, you know, I'm a human ... so that's a good thing, to spend time with other humans. Like me. 'Cause I am one." :D

Maybe his real name is ROBOT King? :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jan 2017, 13:51

I work from home so I can relate. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 24 Jan 2017, 14:59

Thanks for the kind words, Rob :)
(I was a designer and not a producer, though ^^)

RKing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby RKing » 27 Jan 2017, 02:36

Kalah wrote:I like how he says his favourite part is "working with other humans" ... The wording, stressing the human part, is almost suspicious, as if he's not really a human after all. "Uh, yeah, I like working with other humans. Because, you know, I'm a human ... so that's a good thing, to spend time with other humans. Like me. 'Cause I am one." :D

Maybe his real name is ROBOT King? :-D
Dude, I am in the studio way too much by myself.. :)

Rob

Return to “Articles”