Spin the Skill Wheel

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Aurelain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Aurelain » 21 Nov 2006, 23:17

Some updates should soon be posted (v2.01)

The minor bugs that I fixed:

1. Demon Lord: Arcane Brilliance was duplicated (thanks theGryphon)

2. Demon Lord: Urgash's Call had a wrong description (thanks Lepastur)

3. Ranger Class had Necromancer as title (thanks cypress-spawn)

Other things to know:

- the Knight Ultimate lacks icon (ever since 1.0)

- the Runemage Ultimate lacks icon

- Gating has different descriptions for different languages. The current English translation is _not_ a mistake

- Weakening Strike does not belong with the Knight. I tested it inside the game, and you can obtain it, but seems to do nothing.

- there are A LOT of grammar mistakes (obviously, not my fault)

Lepastur
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Lepastur » 21 Nov 2006, 23:41

***- Gating has different descriptions for different languages. The current English translation is _not_ a mistake ***

Ok, I only wanted to point it out in order to be fixed when you have some time.

>> Another bug, if we read the last manual, Expert attack has a 20% of bonus damage; on the skillwheel we find 15%
Visita http://www.HeroesofMightandMagic.es (Portal) y http://www.TorreDeMarfil.es (Foro) / El sitio web en español más completo dedicado a la saga Heroes of Might and Magic, y a los otros juegos de la misma marca.

Aurelain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Aurelain » 22 Nov 2006, 08:32

Lepastur , I think you misunderstood me. The Gating description is not a mistake. They actually changed it! I verified this inside the game, and I can't see a more definitive answer than "It's in the game" :). Same goes for Attack, I suppose. It's not like I deliberately changed 20% to 15%...

P.S. Clear your cache or refresh the page if you don't see "Skillwheel 2.01"
Edited on Wed, Nov 22 2006, 01:34 by Aurelain

SAITAN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby SAITAN » 22 Nov 2006, 14:54

are the dwaves the unstopable army

Lepastur
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Lepastur » 22 Nov 2006, 15:37

*Lepastur , I think you misunderstood me.*

Yep, I agree.

*The Gating description is not a mistake. They actually changed it! I verified this inside the game, and I can't see a more definitive answer than "It's in the game" :). Same goes for Attack, I suppose. It's not like I deliberately changed 20% to 15%... *

I know, the only thing I wanted to point it out that things change from the manual to this wonderful Skillwheel. I know it is not your fault, but theirs. I only want to do is to help you in order to make the Skillwheel be up to date ;) For example, the gating quanties are now corrected, but not the percentage of the Attack, so I don't know if you mean that you verified the percentage on game, so it would be wrong on the last manual.
Visita http://www.HeroesofMightandMagic.es (Portal) y http://www.TorreDeMarfil.es (Foro) / El sitio web en español más completo dedicado a la saga Heroes of Might and Magic, y a los otros juegos de la misma marca.

camelotcrusade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby camelotcrusade » 23 Nov 2006, 03:35

I love this Aurelain. I use it all the time. :)

One thing to note: I actually got corrupted soil for Findan during the Nature campaign and I was delighted to note corrupted soil does THREE times the hero level. 75 damage smacking into everything that moved was worth a good ripe cackle - especially when I was expecting 25. :)

Can anybody confirm this is still the case in HoF?
Edited on Wed, Nov 22 2006, 21:09 by camelotcrusade

Shad0WeN
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Shad0WeN » 23 Nov 2006, 07:43

theGryphon,

I haven't personally taken the Weakening Strike perk with a Knight myself so I haven't tested this, but my guess is that it actually applies to their Retaliation Strike ability (this is required to get the perk) and the Mark of Damned thing is just a text error??

Also, the description for Weakening Strike is misleading. Originally I thought it casts the Weakness (formerly named Curse) spell, but after having first acquired it I of course found out it actually casts Suffering (Weakness in Heroes 3). Definitely more useful.
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 00:51 by Shad0WeN

Shad0WeN
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Shad0WeN » 23 Nov 2006, 08:05

So let me get this straight.....

As far as changes to Gating are concerned, the new descriptions seem to indicate that.....

- each level of Gating now yields 5% more creatures than before (30-45% rather than 25-40%)

- any creature that performs Gating only expends half of its accumulated initiative so its next turn comes 50% faster than normal (same as old Swift Gating perk)??

Is my analysis correct? If so, I guess another question would be, what use is the Swift Gating perk now? Does it combine with the 'new' Gating?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 08:15

Well if it didnt it would be quite stupid,so of course it...well it should....I think it does cut the speed to half :devil:

But doesnt that make urgashs call much less powerfull?Because it would only eliminate 25% of the initiative your creatures acumulated.

Shad0WeN
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Shad0WeN » 23 Nov 2006, 08:35

Don't confuse the instant gating of Urgash's call with the Swift Gating perk, as it may be a bit misleading and they actually affect 2 different things. Swift Gating affects how fast the unit that performs a Gating action receives its next turn, it does not affect how soon the gated forces arrive. Urgash's Call on the other hand makes gates forces arrive instantly, so no it wouldn't make it less useful.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Nov 2006, 16:10

@Aurelain
How much time does it take to make a new entry and would you be willing to to it for an imaginary faction? :D
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Aurelain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Aurelain » 23 Nov 2006, 17:43

The whole process lasted quite a few hours, mainly because of having to cope with so many languages (scripting the "extraction" process can only get you so far).

But, if I were to insulate the work for the English wheel, I'd say... in 2 hours a new wheel could be created.

And imaginary faction is an interesting idea, if what you're thinking is a community project.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Nov 2006, 19:10

Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Mirez » 24 Nov 2006, 20:30

btw nice work on the runemage section, I was like why the f^ck won't ya get retribution but as I see it like this it's almost as hard as the ultimate
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 28 Nov 2006, 04:28

indeed, getting retribution seems ridiculously hard. what about removing the exorcism requirement?

it would still require two full trees, but at least not 3!

that would put it only in the "probably never bother" category, instead of "completely ridiculous".

I could go one farther, and say that the empathy skill should only require the "fine rune" special in addition to the full leadership tree.

that would make more sense for retribution, as well, as it would require the full development of both the leadership and offense trees, but would still be something worth shooting for at that point.
Edited on Mon, Nov 27 2006, 21:29 by Sir_Toejam

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Dec 2006, 22:26

What gets me is that Retribution is trivially easy for a Knight. (And again, thanks for the Wheel.)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Shad0WeN
Pixie
Pixie

Skill Wheel

Unread postby Shad0WeN » 06 Dec 2006, 15:31

Aurelain,

Awesome work! Hey, with the new feature of being able to "build a hero" now, maybe consider adding the ability to save/load those settings to/from simple text files? This way you can just load your hero's configuration whenever you want (thus not having to re-select all their skills) as your hero develops and you progress further. Does anyone else think this would be useful as well?
Edited on Wed, Dec 06 2006, 08:32 by Shad0WeN

menyus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby menyus » 10 Dec 2006, 13:01

These ultimates are driving me mad... I wanted to get Nature's Luck, but it cannot be obtained during the campaign. Then I got myself after Ultimate Protection, which would: 1, make your hero nearly invincible and 2, would be really funny. Then at around the 23th level I was offered 4 such skills from which none fits the ultimate. I had to reload an earlier savegame when my hero was 1 level lower and choose another skill there to solve the problem, ok, I can bear it once. But then I realized that I dont have a chance to reach the ultimate, cause I'd still need 8 skills and I'm on the last mission... Grrr... And of course those about 3 or 4 witch huts that I met were so late in the game that they never wanted to help me (does anyone know till when they do? Is it a certain level limit or a skill limit or when you have all your slots filled and she would have another skill?). :S

By the way most of the ultimates seem to be too hard to get compared to the benefit they offer; Nature's Luck and Ultimate Protection seem to be overpowered to me, Arcane Omniscence and Urgash' Call are "ok" (really strong ones, but not as good as the ones operating with luck though), and then the Knight and Necro ones do seem to worth all the fuss... Am I right?

And does anyone know anything about Retribution in details? I mean some hard numbers, what the bonuses are for the different morale modifiers.

menyus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Skill Wheel

Unread postby menyus » 10 Dec 2006, 13:04

What I meant is that the Knight and Necro ones do _not_ worth it at all for the first glance, sorry.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 11 Dec 2006, 05:30

I don't know the Knight ultimate as I never had it, but Necro ultimate is quite devastating!
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Return to “Articles”