Masters of Magic → The Isle of Pyre

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Phate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phate » 08 Jun 2015, 17:16

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/183

Phate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phate » 08 Jun 2015, 21:01

Champion difficulty:

You won't be able to take out most of the neutral stacks without horrible losses - don't bother. Use single berzerker stacks to take the chest/campfire, pick up the crossbow and handbook (don't forget to give it to Bohb), recruit all the units you can and take everything south towards the sawmill. You can capture this mill without fighting the neutral stack as long as you leave the chest.

From here just immediately run south to the red barbarian town. While traveling there get a city hall/tavern in your town and recruit another hero. His job is to flag the undefended mercury mine in the snowy north-eastern area, then the woodcutter's cottage to the west of the magical ground area. Also hire more single-berzerker stacks to suicide-bomb loose resources/scout.

Red will probably lose a few units fighting neutrals before you get there and it will be an easy victory. Now you have a citadel and nomad tents, your next job is to build the cyclops dwelling in the southern town. Pick up any crystal you see and trade (probably mercury and wood) until you have 10. With two cyclopses head directly west to the 3rd might town and take it out. Your priority now is to build up cyclops dwellings in all 3 cities. When you have around 5 cyclopses in your army you can begin taking out slower neutral stacks, by 20 you will be able to clean out everything. Just use precision, bless, etc.

Green only has 2 towns and will fight neutrals poorly, so at this point I cleaned up the map of all stat/magic enchancers and got level 12 using just centaurs/cyclopses. Then you can roll over green at your leisure.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Masters of Magic → The Isle of Pyre

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 17 Feb 2021, 03:37

Playing on Champion

Those neutral stacks are brutal. You need lots of money to build a big army. Your two heroes with your biggest army still needs to pick their battles. I even had to do some hit and run to get past a very large stack of squires and peasants to get to the ore mine. I had no chance to get past the phoenixes early on.

I had to use the poor man's town portal to keep red from capturing my home city. Much later when I took the western Might City it turned out that the hero with the Boots was defending it. I hadn't even done the Nature boost area. Last time I accidentally finished before I was ready and reloaded, I couldn't finish the scenario so I killed the game before the results resolved.

I had 6 Order Lords to generate gold. I finished in Month 4 week 2!

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Masters of Magic → The Isle of Pyre

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 14 Feb 2023, 19:36

Champion. Similar experience to before. Here are some excerpts from my journal.

Masters of Magic, Champion, Excerpts from my journal

The Isle of Pyre

Bohb starts as a L5 Archmage and Violet as a L5 General. There are many random settings on day one. If you like you can send a berserker to check the backpack and the Blacksmith before you commit to this start. You might also look at the nearby neutrals, shooters and flyers will be harder. I got an ax, with chain mail, shield and sword in the Blacksmith.

Chests? Gold early, xp for Order Lords (I had 6) later.

Week 1, a battle with 320 peasants was really close! Captured the sawmill w/o defeating the defenders! Bohb is good with mana, but mana is hard to come by. Took 3 H&R to defeat the halflings guarding the sawmill.

Week 2, Super slow progress! Managed to steal an alchemist's guild near the north border.

Week 3, built a Harpies Peak. H&R vs. Saytars/wolves to get to Learning Stone.

Week 4, Building Cyclops! Broke through to the Learning Stone.

Week 5, finally could afford an army to beat the 400 imps just outside my town! Rolling now!

Week 6, Captured a fully built preserve from Green in the NW. A Green hero just outside the city has the Boots and he won't retreat! Sigh, time travel spell. So much more to do before winning!

Week 7, Captured Green's second town. Unfortunately, I can't defeat the main Green hero w/o ending the scenario, and I'm not done yet!

Week 8, Have to let Green alone. Red starting to stir up trouble. Sent a support army with good creatures and weak heroes, I won, but it was closer than I expected!

Week 9, captured SW neutral stronghold.

Week 10, captured Red's only town. Both Bohb and Violet maxed out at L12. Red eliminated. I folded my fledging support army into my main army to avoid wasting the xp. The hope is that as Bohb and Violet explore and grow the support army can hold Green at bay.

Week 11, defeated 6 Phoenixes.

Week 13, Won @ 4,1,4. Never split off the supporting heroes, they were about L9. Beat the Green hero with the Boots outside the NW preserve.

Return to “Articles”