Half-Dead → The Unholy Breath

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 02 Mar 2014, 03:11

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/200

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 02 Mar 2014, 03:11

It has been 5 years or so since I first played this campaign. I'm still not sure what skill level is the most fun. At the higher skill levels the computer players can't cope with the large neutral stacks so if you just take your time you will surpass the computer opponents.

I played this campaign on expert. Once I got past a difficult start it was way to easy. Gauldoth came into the last mission at level 30 and I probably hadn't missed a stat bonus in the entire campaign. I finished on the last day of the first month and really wasn't rushing. I fought Kalibarr in his city and took no casualties. I had 4 devils, 56 vampires, 2 gargoyles and the two heroes. The venom spawn were the biggest problem. Gauldoth cast Wasp Swarm on them every turn but one! Don't know why they didn't shoot that turn??

For most of the campaign Gauldoth had nothing but vampires in his army and he had created almost all of those with his grandmaster necromancy. With only two stacks in my army I almost never had to face more than two stacks of enemy troops. I could beat virtually all neutral stacks without losing any vampires.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Half-Dead → The Unholy Breath

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 27 Dec 2022, 22:13

I must have misspoke, I have the ending save file from 2018 on expert and that one finished on 2,2,6. I'm about to finish in 2022 on champion on 2,2,3.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Half-Dead → The Unholy Breath

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 27 Dec 2022, 22:38

Here is a short journal of my experience on Champion.

Week 1, almost done underground. Gauldoth acquired summoning early on, so it wasn't necessary to split out my vampires to explore and gather. BTW, it's important on this map to start Gauldoth's turn with Pathfinding, when traveling over cursed ground with Vampires it will change his effective movement points from 22 to 28.

Week 2, Flagged all the mines and claimed the Torture Chamber and Barrow Mound. Stepped through the portal on day 2 of week 2.

Week 3, finished this area. The only thing I have trouble with just now is dozens of Vampires. If I take in my Vampires, I will lose some and if I don't I need a lucky freezing attack from my summoned Ice Demons. My army as I go through the Dragon Portal is 28 Vampires and 15 ghosts.

Week 4, recruited Suraze. Gauldoth finally got GM Death Magic, probably too late to learn any L5 Spells! I doubled back to Rija to learn Hand of Death, cost 3 or 4 days but gained some creatures for my army.

Week 5, Paulus, scouting ahead, found Kalibarr lurking around near the Dragon Portal Entrance. His army is no match for mine, beat him losing only 2 ghosts. Purple has done a terrible job of building up his control of this area in the 4 weeks I've been gone!

Week 6, it's 2,2,2 and I could finish today but if I take an extra day or two, I can face the last 2 Purple armies. What fun is it to build a juggernaut without testing it? It only took one extra day. Hit #2 on my high score list, 5375. I looked back the save file from 2018 when I finished 3 days later on expert. This army was nearly twice as big as that one! Bigger neutral stacks gain more vampires? Vampires: 111 now, 65 then.

Return to “Articles”