To Rule the World → Frostrift River Pass

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
sufficiency
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sufficiency » 12 Oct 2012, 04:19

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/295

sufficiency
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sufficiency » 12 Oct 2012, 04:19

This campaign is probably the hardest in Wind of War because it's Chaos and you don't have a lot of broken strategies. The fact that Spazz wastes one slot for Chaos Magic and one for Nobility means that he has very few options left except sticking to Chaos Magic (which sucks).

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 13 May 2013, 15:59

In my opinion this is easiest campaign in the expansion. AI in most cases will not attack, so you have time to prepare. This is a matter of time when you can defeat the opponent.

Final map could be hard if there will be time limit (like in Erutan's campaign). But there is no time limit.

I also finished it on Champion, but without combat skills.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: To Rule the World → Frostrift River Pass

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 22 May 2021, 22:28

Playing on Champion. I had twin goals to win the game while playing the game, in other words I was determined to maintain the role, With King despite the obvious flaws.

I quickly recognized that there was going to be a lot of hit and run required to acquire the local mines before setting out to conquer the dwarves. As so effectively demonstrated in the last 2 scenarios, extra heroes are quite a boon in executing those hit and run attacks. They will often allow you a couple of extra turns before retreating and unlike creatures, they come back! Even if Spazz is killed, nothing is lost as long as another hero is around to flee. Took about a month to capture all the local mines (except the gold mine guarded by a company of cyclops). As a result of this beginning strategy, I hardly used the Goblin Knights at all. Finished at M4W3D1.

Spazz reached Level 28 using only 4 of the Level up locations. The Coliseum of Might was very difficult, 4 Potions of Immorality were needed. The Coliseum of Magic was even more difficult, Spazz only had 50% magic Immunity so he died easily and often. The key was to start with Inferno to knockout the supporting Farie Dragons on turn one. The potions of resistance as well as potions of healing and immorality were necessary.

Spazz had the following skills:
Combat 7 skills
Nobility 8 skills
Chaos 20 skills
Life 3 skills
Nature 3 skills

Supporting Heroes:
L14 General
L11 Beastmaster (Water Elementals)
L10 Fireguard
L8 Assassin

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: To Rule the World → Frostrift River Pass

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 11 May 2023, 21:57

The Frostrift River Pass, Champion.

I didn't like my results as well this time around. I kept a journal and here are some excerpts.

Week 1, Spazz, alone, beat a company of Earth Elementals and a company of satyrs for an alchemist's guild. I really wish I had taken the extra week in the last scenario to learn Disintegrate.

Week 2, Lucky, my L5 spell in my asylum is Disintegrate. Finally claimed the gold mine NW of my starting position.

Week 3, Hired a Druid. Claimed all mines in SW.

Week 4, took the eastern gold mine, cleared the SE corner.

Week 5&6, working my way ccw, some tough battles with Ice Demons and ranged enemies.

Week 7, Took a 4th gold mine on the north edge of the map. Lost 2 heroes to Earth Elementals and Fire Elementals. Eliminated Teal. Went Underground and beat the first troglodyte army. Spazz had no mana and arranged to retreat back home.

Week 8, took out two more armies of 3K troglodytes w/o casualties. None of my supporting heroes have any "control" spells!

Week 9, Took Rimewood. My Beastmaster learned Quicksand!

Week 10, Between the ToK and the Coliseum of Might, I must have tried a dozen times before I finally got a magic skill so I could use the libraries.

Week 11, Defeated (@ 3,3,2) the main Purple army but lost 3 Megadragons, 4 Black Dragons and 40 Goblin Knights. (all my creatures).

Won @ 3,3,4. I had only Spazz, my Beastmaster and a sorcerer and attacked intending to retreat and fortify. Even though the town had serious troops (16 Catapults, 15 Champions, 38 monks, 272 crossbowmen, 52 ballista, 26 Crusaders and 12 pikemen), w/o a hero, I managed to control the battle and finish with Spazz and the Beastmaster on their feet.

Return to “Articles”