Jolly Joker`s Preview

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Apr 2006, 15:09

Dalai wrote:2 Jolly Joker
Just plainly list features from HoMM-IV and their evolution.
Thanks again.
I am not sure how well such a list can be done. Like the town build-up. I do not even think developers had Heroes IV in mind when they replaced the linear prerequistes with town level requirement. It works on different principle, but at harder situations where money is short gives the effect of Heroes IV dwelling choices.

Other than that it is certainly the magic schools and factions relationship which is not as strickt as in Heroes IV but not as open as in Heroes III. Probably more toward Heroes IV.

Heroes IV at its time propagated that "each creature now has a special" and indeed in many cases you did not need the creatures because of their stats, but their specials. This is certainly true for Heroes V as well. Compared to raw stats (like the speed value) specials have higher importance in IV and V than in III.

Creatures with a spell book were introduced in Heroes IV. :p

Limited number of heroes per tavern per day - not as restrictive as in Heroes IV, but not possible to buy 4 heroes on first day like in H3

There may be others and more important ones, that JJ had in his mind.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 12 Apr 2006, 15:42

Yes, thanks Pitsu. Another one is that heroes can't act when they want to (before any of their creatures), but get turns like creatures. The unique skill for each race began in Heroes IV as well (remember the race-specific sub-skills for each of the magic schools?).
ZZZzzzz....

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Apr 2006, 16:09

Jolly Joker wrote:(remember the race-specific sub-skills for each of the magic schools?).
Um, i am not sure what you mean here, since all subskills were available when you got the primary skill (from a witch hut for example) no matterof the hero origin. Anyway, in general terms the differences between factions and number of (distinct) alternative strategies in Heroes V is certainly closer to Heroes IV than III. Again, it is perhaps not designed on the basis of Heroes IV, but it is someting that was good there and that is present in Heroes V.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 12 Apr 2006, 16:41

Thanks Pitsu, thanks JJ.

Though there are some features close to HoMM-IV ideas, but not "a lot". This "a lot" striked me at once.

Most of them seem to be rather accidental. Just as Pitsu said, " I do not even think developers had Heroes IV in mind when they..." did that things.

There is a discussion in the thread "Are you going to buy Heroes V?" and some people are sure that Ubi and/or Nival has/have "keep all HoMM-IV features, which were not in HoMM-III, out of HoMM-V" policy. I expected to see strong arguments against this.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Apr 2006, 16:58

Dalai wrote: Most of them seem to be rather accidental.
Anyone who is going to boicot Heroes V because of some Heroes IV features are there "accidentally" and not because of Heroes IV.... Um, sounds maniacal.
Last edited by Pitsu on 12 Apr 2006, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Apr 2006, 16:59

Well at the start they did strongly maintain that "the aberation that is H4 will not affect the game as we're sticking to H3"! OK, they only said they will stick to H3, but whatever... ;)

Guess it likely they ignored H4 as inspiration, but aplied stuff that's alot like H4 because it made sense. Or maybe the "H4 bad" talk was all about marketing!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Malicen » 12 Apr 2006, 17:02

Well this is a GOOD preview. And the game looks more promising than ever. Now, just one more month to wait...
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 12 Apr 2006, 18:26

Great post!

I have one question: last I heard (quite some time ago...), there was no paper doll for the hero's artifacts. Is that still true?
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Pitsu » 12 Apr 2006, 18:51

theLuckyDragon wrote: I have one question: last I heard (quite some time ago...), there was no paper doll for the hero's artifacts. Is that still true?
Like in open beta.
See the image at:
http://www.the-genies-lamp.com/oakwarri ... entory.jpg

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 12 Apr 2006, 19:04

Yuck. That does not look good. Ah well... Can't have them all...

But a paper doll might have fitted in there.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Shredst0r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Shredst0r » 13 Apr 2006, 13:00

sound really really great!

especially the ressource management and the upgrading system .

pigoo3
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby pigoo3 » 13 Apr 2006, 15:54

One thing that I always found irritating about previous Hero's versions is...you spend a lot of time & resouces building up a town...only to lose it to some passing by hero's army.

To me taking a town should be very very difficult. The towns defenses should be very tough.

Can anyone comment of the difficulty of taking a town in Heros 5 vs. previous versions?

Thanks

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 13 Apr 2006, 17:44

If you read the review you will have seen the

Town special

Many town specials deal with either strengthening the defenses (walls, towers), the defenders (Luck, Moral) or weakening the attackers (Luck Moral).

Moreover WITHOUT the War Machines skill (and the catapult ability) you will see lots of catapult shots doing not much damage to the walls. The grid is so big no flyer will reach behind the walls in the first turn. And shooters get penalties of course.

So, yes, things have become more difficult - except if you "waste" one of your precious six skill slots with the War Machines skill, in which case I'd rate the difficulty as hard as in III. Note there is even the possibility that arrow towers shoot with poisend arrows or with spell-imbued arrows!
ZZZzzzz....

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Labyrinth » 13 Apr 2006, 19:23

So that's what your german version looks like :)
What the #$*! do we know?

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Labyrinth » 13 Apr 2006, 19:35

Note: It is not true that the Succubi Mistresses' Chain Shot does not hit your own units - it does not hit *INFERNAL* units.

This means,

- whenever you have some nice Assassins joining your army, they'll get a punch each time you use your Upg. Succubi.

- When you fight against a demon army, the Chain Shot does not work. When there are only infernal units on the field, it hits only the first (the attacked) stack - and nothing else.
What the #$*! do we know?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Apr 2006, 19:43

So it's like the Death Cloud from H3.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Xsi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Xsi » 13 Apr 2006, 21:54

"HoMM V is CLEARLY the best Heroes game ever."

Well Joker was right, this game rocks (based on demo)

pigoo3
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby pigoo3 » 14 Apr 2006, 02:24

Jolly Joker...I did read your review...and from what I read...MOST of the things that improve the defensive aspects of town are very similar to what was in previous versions of Heros...so it doesn't really sound like town defenses have really been improved that much.

I am looking forward to Heros V...so I will have to see how the town defences have or have not been improved.

Thanks

Sandro123
Pixie
Pixie

Jolly Joker`s Preview

Unread postby Sandro123 » 20 Apr 2006, 15:55

HoMM V is CLEARLY the best Heroes game ever.

I totally agree. Homm series have been going towards improving the strategy and h5 is definately the climax. One of the best reviews I have read.

Why did no-one give me a complete version to translate...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 21:04

Finally a review worth reading.Although I still think the game doesnt deserve to bear this famous title.

Return to “Articles”